+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think considering the ages being charged us rediculous, but lots of mums leave small kids in cars alone. I wouldn't leave my child alone in a car at all ( he's 2) but each to their own

Car restraint laws are rediculous, my 2 yr old is too big for one and not old enough for the other, the rta said to put him in the 4 and up one but it's at the police officers discretion as to if it's safe.so I feel like its not clear enough, your child can be in a taxi with no seat if they are over 2
    Last edited by daysta112; 16-05-2012 at 15:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a bit of a grey area here I mean if you were to drop something in the post box ok, if you were to get petrol ok but going into the shops to grab a few things I would have to say not ok. It's not just a case of heat exhaustion, a child could take the brake off or soemone could jump in the front seat and steal the car (if the keys are in the ignition). I don't know at what age i would leave a child alone in the car but I know I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon. Would i report a mother who had done this? No, it's not my place to report someone just because i wouldn't do it. I would probably watch to see how long she was gone though and make sure the kids are ok.

As for the shop it all depends on the age but i think letting a child buy lunch or a loaf of bread isn't a big deal. I work in a bakery and i think it is really cute the little kids buying a snack for themselves they get so shy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LilMuffin For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with three chooks that the courier mail never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.

I'm sure there is more to both of these stories but if the kids were badly behaved enough to not take into the shop I wouldn't be leaving them in the car with the keys.

Besides any pedo could have come a snatched one of them, what's a ten year old going to do?

I think there is A LOT more to the story with the 9 year old who went in. But if your 9 year old doesn't know his way around that particular centre enough to get back to the car after buying his food I don't think it's a good idea to let him go by himself.

Personally I wouldn't leave a ten year old to look after their baby siblings nor would I let a nine year old go into a centre they obviously didn't know very well by themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amesv View Post
    I think it's ridiculous, I understand on hot days obviously it's a danger, but living in Melbourne 80% of the year the heat isn't a worry. So what are the other concerns? I need to drop off an express post envelope to the bank once a week, I will leave all three kids in the locked car while I run in to drop it in the express box. I can't see the car for no more than 20sec. Truthfully though if it wasn't frowned upon I would be happy to leave them for 5 min, I haven't and never would but more from the concern of what other people would think. If the car is locked and at a reasonable temp??
    I dont think its just the temp that bother people.
    Its also tge kids could set the car in motion dangering them and others
    Or brakes or something could give way setting car in motion

Anything could happen while kids are left in the car and being that they are in either in the passenger or backseat and those under 5yr are in car restrainants and there is basically nothing they can do to save them and their siblings.

So i do get it as theres alot of risk even for just 20sec but i do get tge pain of taking kids out just for a 1min stop
    Last edited by Bubbygirl; 16-05-2012 at 15:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven Eleven View Post
    I'm sure there is more to both of these stories but if the kids were badly behaved enough to not take into the shop I wouldn't be leaving them in the car with the keys.
    Who says they were badly behaved? I would expect them to have been well behaved to be trusted to remain in the car.

I personally dont like the idea of leaving the car running or locked, but understand that some people do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I dunno.... I just don't worry that much. My DS is only 6 so not really at the age where he's ready to be left alone yet but I really do trust him enough to not take the handbrake off, not to take it for a joyride (I'd be more likely to trust a 10 year old over a 16 yo to be honest), to leave it locked and not let anyone in.

Anything could happen anywhere.

I keep him as safe as possible, but it does get to a point where children are being treated like idiots. Honestly, the little migrant children who go to school with DS walk themselves to school from an incredibly early age. I see them running to the local foodland to pick up some supplies for their mum and dad. I don't see it as neglectful, I think their parents are teaching them incredibly important life lessons.

I, too, wondered as biscotti did - does this mean that those under 12 can no longer walk themselves around the corner to school?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-05-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Who says they were badly behaved? I would expect them to have been well behaved to be trusted to remain in the car.

I personally dont like the idea of leaving the car running or locked, but understand that some people do.
    Well if my kids were so well behaved I would have just taken them. I don't see why else you would leave them unless they were a handful in the shops.

I dunno, this is why I end up buying bottles of water through macdonald's drive through.

I have seen kids left in cars way to many times where the window had to be broken and the parents were always "only ten minutes"

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Meh. Most of y'all know I'm one of those 'leave the kids in the playground for strangers to snatch' parents.
    Every day the kids from the local primary school race down the hill from school to hang out at the library. They're all between 8-12, by themselves, happy, confident, on the whole beautifully behaved well adjusted kids. Some afternoons there's more than 50 of them. Maybe I should call the cops on all of them...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's so subjective though isn't it - unreasonable amount of time without making reasonable provision for supervision and care of a child?

That's going to vary every single time for one parent and their children let alone the variables between different parents and children in different environments and circumstances.

On the face of it, the OP examples seem like an overreaction on the part of the police - yet who knows what other background there is?

I tend to be a bit free range, but have been a little freaked out reading stories about attempted child abductions in Sydney recently. So right now I am firmly in the better safe than sorry camp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven Eleven View Post
    Well if my kids were so well behaved I would have just taken them. I don't see why else you would leave them unless they were a handful in the shops.
    Sometimes the kids just dont want to go. They're tired, or they want to keep reading their book, or it is cold out there. There can be numerous reasons why they dont want to get out of the car to follow a parent around like puppies.