+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    While I agree that safety comes first, I find it ridiculous that my 11 month old baby who already looks too big for her seat will be in that same seat for 4 years!

Its ridiculous IMO as it just means that whoever in your family wants to take the kids they can't coz they dont have a bloody booster seat!

Sent from my MotoA953 using BubHub
    what seat do you have your 11 month old? A Maxi rider is suitable up to 4 years and I can't imagine an 11 month old looking too big in that.
    We just swap cars when my family wants to take my kids somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    what seat do you have your 11 month old? A Maxi rider is suitable up to 4 years and I can't imagine an 11 month old looking too big in that.
    We just swap cars when my family wants to take my kids somewhere.
    I dunno what type it is but its a birth to 4 years one.

See for eg a few years ago I was able to pick up my 6yo old cousins and spend the nigh with me... now its impossible as they have other kids too and need their seats... there must be another way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember reading an article about a father being charged for leaving two children (aged 10 & 6) eating their lunch at a food court whilst he took the 4yo to the toilet. Personally I thought that was really over the top. What was he expected to do?
    * Take all three kids and their half-eaten lunch to the toilets?
    * Make the 4yo wait and likely wet or soil himself?
    * Throw the lunch out and take all kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I don't think that the laws on car restraints are ridiculous at all. In fact I think we still have a long way to go before they are up to the standards of other countries. Is it a pain in the backside...gawd yes! Is it worth it to ensure our children have max protection in an accident? Absolutely!
    The problem is that the law can make the less safe option the only legal option.

For example, perhaps a mother and child are stranded somewhere. They have friends that could give them a lift, but no carseat for the child, so that is not an option. However, they can legally take the bus (with no seatbelt) and that is fine.

Personally I would think the child would be safer wearing a seatbelt in the friend's car, rather than unrestrained on the bus. But to comply with the law, it has to be the bus.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

knomie  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm the only times I leave the kids for a few minutes, if that, is when I get fuel in the town we live where the fuel pump is in full view of the shop counter (I don't and wouldn't do this in the city) and when I pull up in front of the post office and check my mail box (again, I wouldn't do this in the city)
    i would never lock my kids in the car whether the air con is on or whether its running or not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    The problem is that the law can make the less safe option the only legal option.

For example, perhaps a mother and child are stranded somewhere. They have friends that could give them a lift, but no carseat for the child, so that is not an option. However, they can legally take the bus (with no seatbelt) and that is fine.

Personally I would think the child would be safer wearing a seatbelt in the friend's car, rather than unrestrained on the bus. But to comply with the law, it has to be the bus.
    I did say that the laws still have a long way to go
    knomie aren't they in booster seats that can easily be taken in and out of the car? Also, there are varying sizes of 0-4 year car seats.

And this is way off topic! Sorry MsMummy!

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So while I was at the checkout last week, my 3yo needed to go to the toilet and she was screaming at me to take her. The lines were about 4 full trolleys at each checkout. The checkout lady had already started
    Scanning my two trolley loads... Was I supposed to:
    A) ring my husband who was in the car with my sleeping 1 year old, 4yo and sleeping 5 year old.
    B) leave my shopping and take her myself?
    C) send my 10 yo to the toilet with her (in the same small complex).
    D) let her wet /soil herself.

I chose option c..... I must be a terrible mother!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My personal rule-of-thumb is that the child needs:
    * a friend, and
    * a mobile phone.

If the child is solo, then I'll spend the whole time talking to them on the mobile phone.

In my opinion that is still supervising. I may not be physically present but am still monitoring the situation and reassuring my child.

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.... I rang my husband... Told him what was going on, gave 10yo my mobile phone and sent them off telling then dad will call to check on you and you can ca him if you want before that. She is also very mature and is the 4th of 8 children in our family...

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were that easy I wouldn't even be complaining about it!
    They are strapped into the seat belt and very secure so its similar to removing a baby seat and having it fitted.

Also I was in a similar position when a friend of mine was leaving her abusive husband and had to take a bus as I couldn't pick her up with her 5yo and 7yowithout a seat