+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Packing a hospital bag?

Hey! I am pregnant with my first and was wondering what to pack in my hospital bag? Any good tips? I heard a lot of ladies say Gatorade to drink between contractions, what does everyone recommend to help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ah memories good idea to pack some comfy clothes, maternity pads and also some granny undies (super high waisted) in case you need a Caesarean. Maybe even a little bit of tinted moisturizer- I found that freshening up a bit cheered me up when I had visitors.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

Koberose  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every time I see a hospital bag thread I always suggest cough lollies (buttermenthols etc)
    You do a lot of heavy breathing and I had to send my DH on a mission to find some because my throat got sooooooo sore and dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is a good thread around here somewhere with all the good ideas and tips on what to pack - maybe someone will link it as I don't know where to begin looking.

Remember to pack breast pads as things can start leaking quickly and you only have so many changes of clothes.

Drinking gatorade between contractions - sounds like a good idea. I didnt have time for drinking when the going got tough and I ended up throwing up anyway, I don't know how gatorade taste coming back up?

Mittens for bubs.. in case they are a scratcher, which both mine were and I didn't get the mitten until the end of the first day and by then it looked like I'd stuck the babies in with an untamed cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I regret not packing more real clothes, I lived in PJs and always felt so gross when we had visitors! Next time around I'll be packing some comfy but nice pants and some cute tips or cardis

Also, music! Books, magazines, load up your phone or laptop with movies/shows. I couldn't believe how much DD slept and there is only so much sleep I could handle haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    More clothes. I only packed minimum because I thought id have a natural labour , cue emergency c section and 4 day stay I ran out quickly. And I agree more real clothes , bigger bras cause my milk came and nothing fit,

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    *Lip balm, and moisturizer for face body and hands, the air-conditioning/heating in hospital can really dry you out.
    *I loved having a notepad and pen to write down who brought what gifts for thankyou notes, and to write lists if I needed to send DH out for something.
    *Some plastic/ waterproof bags to send soiled clothes home for soaking and washing. I gave mine to DH straight away so they didn't dry and stain.
    *A nice 'receiving' blanket for bubs to see visitors in. I didn't worry about fussy outfits just wrapped him nicely.
    *I took basic makeup and my hairstraighteners
    *iPhone or camera, etc
    *some nibbly food in case I got peckish between meals

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same boat so I'll keep a track of the answers lol :-)

A couple of sites I've looked at suggest wearing disposable maternity knickers ( pad attached ) for the first few days after birth... Did any mums do this ??

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As a PP said... Aaaah Memories! I think I packed and unpacked my bag a hundred times before I went to the hospital!

I wish I had packed comfy non pj clothes too, so as PP said maybe some comfy but still nice pants and tops. A jumper and thick socks cos the air con gets freezing in some hospitals. Granny panties in black... Lots of them. Pawpaw cream or lip balm/moisteriser, especially for labor as i remember my lips getting so dried and cracked from the panting...

I read somewhere when pregnant and packing to pack a nice shampoo/conditioner and a nice body wash so you can freshen up nicely after wards. This was my favourite thing! Nothing better than a nice hot shower the next day (or as soon as you can) with some nice smelling soap and shampoo, made me feel a million bucks afterwards!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second big undies with a high waist, after 2 natural births I wasn't prepared when my 3rd was a emergency c-section and I had to send out my sister to get a pack of undies that didn't sit on the scar.