+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well - actually I'm currently giving my nearly 10 week old her first feed for the "night" - she doesn't go down till 9-10 though, little party animal! But she's just pushed that one feed further and further this is the longest she's slept in - TOUCH WOOD this continues!!!

... However...

My gorgeous first born baby wakes still. Tonight I let him just sleep in our bed all night because I was up to him 3 times last night - not to feed as he 3.5 but when he was her age he was still feeding 2-3 hourly 24/7.

As for expressing, right now I'm having trouble getting a good latch because my breasts are so full, but we've got it. I had to sit up to attach her and then lay on my back with her on top of me so she doesn't drown. Lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bf DS slept through from 11 weeks!! (8-6am) But he started doing that so suddenly that I did have to still get up and express just a little for comfort. Your body will eventually catch up either way, but I had to express a little as I was so engorged!!

Now don't hate me because as soon as he hit 9months and started daycare (illness after illness!) he started waking again here and there. Last night (now 12months) he was up from 12-2!! Moral of the story, no matter how they are fed (or how much they eat during the day) they'll do what THEY want to do. Even if you 'tick' all the boxes they'll still wake up sometimes

Ah little people and how they dictate our lives! I hope you get some decent sleep soon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From 5wks to 6mths my bf baby slept 8-10hrs straight. But she fed 4hrs straight every night before bed. Then from 6-12mths was up 2-4 times a night.

It's not you- bubs do what suits then. Best advice is to pile as many feeds in the evenings as you can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For new babies sleeping thru is 5hrs straight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes absolutely.

My DD went 4-5 hours between feeds from birth.
    At 5 weeks she went 10-6 through the night.
    From 13 weeks she slept 7-7, and hasn't changed.

While I don't believe formula Makes babies sleep through any better, it does make sense that I they are still hungry they will wake so you can probably fill them up a bit more with formula. Starchy/ carby solids are dinner time will also help this when they start solids.

Try cluster feeding before the last feed of the night, worked for us.

About the expressing, no you don't need to as you don't require that feed any more. Boobs will be exploding in the morning for the first week or so but they'll soon settle down.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulthisyr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bf little boy has been sleeping from 730/830 at night till 7am for about two weeks know and he is 11weeks old....occasionally he wakes at 4am but its usually only when hubby is on shift and wakes him up getting ready for work :/ I usually just make sure I wear breast pads to bed as I do get quite 'full' having an 11 hour gap between feeds

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bsm01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first breastfed bub slept through at 4 months through nothing I did. Second slept through from 17 months. Depends more on the kid than the feeding method.

I too know lots of ff'd bubs who wake well beyond 12 months! And plenty of bf'd ones who slept through at 6 weeks.

I have small breasts also and yes both times I had to express for a while overnight to gradually bring supply down as I would get overfull once they started sleeping through

13. The Following User Says Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow thanks for all of the great replies.
    It's great to hear bf babes can sleep through and relatively early! Can you tell I am a little sleep deprived lol?
    My first bub was ff and slept through at 4 months (from 10.30pm to 6am) when he started on solids. He did have a dream feed/bottle between 10 & 11pm.

In saying that DS is tiny and is feeding twice after midnight although still 2 hourly during the day - which I thought he was doing really well!

Can anyone explain cluster feeding a little more to me as a couple of you mentioned cluster feeding before bedtime helps? Would you do a dream feed for bf babies?

Also purplecat - how often did you get up to express and for how long did you do this for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarplumMummy View Post
    Wow thanks for all of the great replies.
    It's great to hear bf babes can sleep through and relatively early! Can you tell I am a little sleep deprived lol?
    My first bub was ff and slept through at 4 months (from 10.30pm to 6am) when he started on solids. He did have a dream feed/bottle between 10 & 11pm.

In saying that DS is tiny and is feeding twice after midnight although still 2 hourly during the day - which I thought he was doing really well!

Can anyone explain cluster feeding a little more to me as a couple of you mentioned cluster feeding before bedtime helps? Would you do a dream feed for bf babies?

Also purplecat - how often did you get up to express and for how long did you do this for?
    cluster feeding: during the day, your milk changes from high volume/low fat in the morning (high in sugar for energy), to lower volume/high fat in the afternoon and evening. Some mothers notice their breasts feel less full at this time of day (and some mistakenly believe this means they do not have enough milk). Babies may like to have small feeds, often, to fill their tummies up with this low volume but high fat milk in preparation for what is often their longest stretch of sleep at night. Some mums call this cluster feeding, and its a very normal baby behaviour. This is also why sometimes feeding routines dont work very well with breastfed babies - their needs change during the day with the type and volume of milk that is in your breasts.

With my first, I expressed for around 2 weeks after she slept through the night I think, as she was young, my milk volume was high and I was prone to blockages/mastitis. I gradually reduced the volume I expressed, and gradually stretched out the time between expressing. This was a very slow and cautious approach as I was prone to mastitis, so you most likely wouldnt need to do this. With my second who was much older, I just expressed for comfort for about 3 nights and they adjusted. Most mums will adjust in 2-3 nights, and the trick is to just take off enough milk for comfort so the message goes through to make less milk at that time as that feed is no longer needed. You could do this by just hand expressing into the bathroom sink, which is easier than setting up then washing a pump (if you can hand express?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD slept through (11-12 hrs) from bang on 6 weeks old (yes I know how lucky I was/am!) and she was fully BF until 7 months.

We didn't have a routine until she hit 4 months which was pretty much just bath, boobie and bed about 6pm. Nothing much to it. Before that though she was cluster feeding most of the night and would eventually go down anywhere between 10pm-2am then sleep through from there.

I never got up to express overnight as I wanted to sleep as much as she'd let me. My boobs would feel very full and she'd sometimes have a little trouble latching first go, but we got used to it.