+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a teacher at a primary school (grade one) and in term one the kids had home reader, sight words and a revision sheet. Now we are expected to also send home two text books for the children to complete 2 pages of each per wk. I hate it as many concepts are way too hard for my class and we haven't covered them in class yet, but are made to send them home cos they were on the book list

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go to the principal maybe? It's unfair, especially if your childs grade is going to be affected by your lack of funds/ ability to do it for her etc.

I get mad enough at my DD's teachers when they tell me the day before that they're going to need x or y items for class the next day. Wonderful, I get one afternoon notice. Where shall I pull those things from, particularly the day before payday? Honestly, we buy the booklists, pencils, bags, uniforms etc, pay the fees... and then have to constantly bring in extras? Wish I could just tell them to bite me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anagram. This seems ridiculous. Especially after a letter etc. maybe you need to call the school and have a chat?? Can anyone help you out just to get this one done, then go in and have a chat about the expectations. I can't believe they haven't been flexible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Usually as a teacher I always stick up for my profession but on this occasion I would definitely go in and just get to the bottom of it. Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ana if it's a public school there is usually a dollar amount (usually about $35 per year in lower classes) teachers are allowed to ask parents for besides school fees, so if ur spending $20 on materials for one project I'm sure that's going to bust the budget allowance for the year as teachers are not allowed to do this.

The assignment seems ridiculous for such a young child! I'm a primary school teacher and I don't think that's appropriate at all... Perhaps in year 5 or higher if the materials were provided by the school.

As for homework... Compulsory reading is great plus sight words! That's all I'd ever send home with little ones.

Find out what the school's homework policy is..and scrutinise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my year 3 class we only send home a home reader, spelling words and an activity sheet with 3 optional choices, eg. Times tables etc. It is very easy for kids to do, we often have parents asking for more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Ana - I'd have an absolute BALL making that with the kids - it sounds like fun!

..mind you I don't stressful essays etc due, and I let the kids explore through the shed and handle tools on a regular basis

- I think Homework is to set some kind of revision - but to also encourage parents involvment in their child's learning??
    We have homework bags for dd&ds2 in kindy - it includes a story book and about 6 or more laminated activity sheets - a mix of literacy, math, lifeskills etc
    I know my kids get a story book etc everynight, but I know there would be families out there that the kids don't - so I appreciate that the school is suggesting it.

Ana - could this be a little bonding experience with DD and your Dad maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 3InATub View Post
    OMG, I so hear you!!! My first born stated Kindy this year and I am shocked at what she's bringing home. Each week we get about 8 new sight words. We have a new reader each week and we also have to prepare news each week. Is this normal????
    That's what my DD had in kindy too. She's in year 2 this year and has reading every night, a maths sheet with about 30-40mins of work per week, and english work of another 30+ mins. Plus she has show and tell every week.... which gets damn hard bc she only wants to share 'exciting' items and events

Ana - I think that's unreasonable. Not only the cost, but I question the purpose when she needs a lot of help from you. I don't see an issue with a little bit of help. But the idea is for her to learn no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very surprised at the amount of homework my yr 1 dd has. Each night she has a reader. An activity sheet. And a list of spelling words and sight words to revise. It takes her at least 45 mins each night, if not more.

She does take longer though as she has ADHD, and to keep her on task after a long day at school is very difficult. Her teacher has said we can cut out some of the work, but I'm concerned she'd fall too far behind. She already is starting to, due to her focus issues in class.
    But even for the average kid, I don't believe in excessive homework at such a young age. Just a small amount of revision to help establish good study habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's the opposite here, Hayley gets work that's far too easy for her.