+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3InATub View Post
    OMG, I so hear you!!! My first born stated Kindy this year and I am shocked at what she's bringing home. Each week we get about 8 new sight words. We have a new reader each week and we also have to prepare news each week. Is this normal????
    That's what DD1 had last year and other schools in the area actually give out more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    That's what DD1 had last year and other schools in the area actually give out more.
    Wow! Alot different to when I did Kindy. Ha ha... I am just really surprised at how quick it all starts, I thought homework wouldn't start until about Yr 3....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like you have a plan. Exactly the reason though why homework should be basic revision type stuff. Not projects to build. I can understand your frustration.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    not sure why you have to do that at home - I can only assume its due to the type of school you've chosen to send R to????

Jack (who is in grade one) hasn't had homework come home that he cant do yet - he does need motivation to do it .. but is capable of doing the spelling/ maths/ sentences that he is required to do ..

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We get loads of things to do at home, but i send notes in saying we choose not to do it. He has enough to do with all his therapies.. They are fine with it. We just do spelling words and leave the other 1.5 pages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did not realize the work was hard...I feel bad now for saying my kids have no issues to the other parents. My oldest does all of it the first night and my prep reads 6 level 5/6 books every night along with her pink words atm.

I thought this was normal and the parents were being silly about homework
    what IS normal? my kids are only in regular classes and the teachers have nt expressed to me that they are ahead
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 15-05-2012 at 19:59.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember back in primary school days (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) we'd have an AF sheet of paper every night to take home with revision type questions on it etc.
    There was three columns, and the teacher would tell each student which column they should attempt. I guess it would have been more work for the teacher to create three separate sections, but there was usually only 10 questions each and if a student couldn't do the recommended column, they were able to do the one below.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unfortunately this is a very common occupancy in primary schools. I have had some horrible examples of assignments set for my kids in the past and this is about the normal calibre of a stupid assignment set by clueless teachers IME

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Gah I would never set homework like that, even in my 456 grade!! What are the kids learning at home, when parents have the opportunity to do most of the work for them?!

I don't believe in a lot of homework... Kids already spend 6 hours a day at school. Read your reader and practice your spelling words each night. Use car trips and incidental opportunities to teach/talk about times tables, new vocabulary words and everything else... If a project such as a sand pendulum is so important to your curriculum, find the time to fit it in during school hours (and using school money! Ana I would be peeved too!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had issues with DD1 in Year 2 and her homework this year...I am happy to go through a worksheet that is revision of what she has learned throughout the week...But we get a one line in her homework book, saying this week learn the x2, or x3 or x5 etc tables....when I ask her she says they haven't learned it at school at all. Really!!?!?!? I'm meant to teach her the entire x tables at home!?!? The reader and the spelling is fine for us as DD1 reads and spells way above her age, but she struggles with math and I. Just. Don't. Have. That. Time. Revision, yes. Entirely new concepts? NO!