+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wanting to homeschool. I'm at a loss on where to start the process.

My daughter is only 16 months right now. I'm a SAHM.
    Dh & I have spoken about homeschooling since we decided to start a family, but it's only been in the past 6 months we have decided its the way we want to go.

My husband went to primary schools but during high school his mum switched to Homeschooling.
    So we have somewhat of an idea on what is involved.
    It seems a bit has changed since my MIL home-schooled my DH.
    So I'm after some advise.

We currently live in Brisbane QLD.
    We would prefer to have the homeschooling to involve a long Distance education path.
    to be honest I just don't know where to look to get the right information and I have read that within QLD most of the laws are being changed, If I go through a private distance education college do I still have to "register"?

I have also noticed there are many many different ways one can home school.
    What are some other options that you have tried or are doing? And how does it suit you?

Can any parent homeschool?
    Do I have to have some level of higher education?
    I didn't complete high school, I left and attended Tafe along with a private college in order to receive a cert 3 trades apprenticeship.
    Which took 4 Years.
    I have no problems going back to Tafe to complete year 12 in order to Homeschool my daughter, Or if it is required that i need a higher level of education.

Also is there anything I can start doing now to prepare her for homeschooling?
    I know she is young but I really want to be prepared.
    Also at what stage do I enroll her in a distance education college or register her?

I still have much to find out and learn about the process of homeschooling.
    I thought I would start here in the hopes others mums could point me in the right direction.

I'm not the most intellectual type
    So I'm a little worried at how I will go!
    We definitely want to home school though.

Sorry there are so many questions.
    My mind is buzzing on where to go next.
    It's been very daunting reading all the different laws ect on the Internet.

So I thought it might be time to seek advise from other people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I don't know much (my son is starting prep next year but if it's not for him we will definitely not rule out home schooling) I live north brisbane and there is a school up here called Australian Christian College.. I know that they do distance ed.. Even if u don't want a religious based one they could probably give you some starters :-) There is also a yahoo group also

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Hi, I don't know much (my son is starting prep next year but if it's not for him we will definitely not rule out home schooling) I live north brisbane and there is a school up here called Australian Christian College.. I know that they do distance ed.. Even if u don't want a religious based one they could probably give you some starters :-) There is also a yahoo group also

***Sent from my phone***
    Thank you, yes we do want it to be religious based.
    Either by us just implementing religion, or by the school ect we go through.

I'll check out that college.
    I just really do not want to go through a government based program...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    :-) we're raising our son with a Christian view of life too :-) One other thing I thought of.. I know that here in the suburb I live, there is a weekly Home schoolers meet up at the local leisure centre... Maybe Google to see if there's something close to you, pop along to one and ask the parents there all about home schooling :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rachell,

Where abouts in Brissy are you? We are on the northside and next year my son will be enrolled in the Australian Christian College via distance ed, so technically they are enrolled in a school (not home educated if you know what I mean?)
    My son is supposed to be in Prep this year, atm we are having him tutored in Strathpine by a homeschool support group, which is great, pm me if you want the details We were really clueless but now with a bit of guidence we are on our way to homeschooling! No need to registar with ACC as I believe that is all taken care of, as it is a school. You definately don't need to finish high school etc to homeschool your child. I'm still learning a lot but really excited about it all now!
    Emma

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We went through Groves Christian College in Brisbane and I cannot recommend them enough Check out their website. Yes, you do have to register but one of the great things about going through Groves or somewhere similar is that they take care of all that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies!
    We live in Springfield Lakes.
    I will have a better look at your replies tonight when I have more time I'm really leaning towards distant Ed.
    at what age should I enrol? Do DE programs "fill up" so to speak and you have to get in early?

I do have dyslexia (it was in childhood but i still struggle from time to time) this is a big concern for me when it comes to home schooling.. So I was hoping with DE I would have more support.
    So who ever I go through I would have to have someone to call/email any troubles were having instead of being left to our own devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    We went through Groves Christian College in Brisbane and I cannot recommend them enough Check out their website. Yes, you do have to register but one of the great things about going through Groves or somewhere similar is that they take care of all that!
    My husbands younger brother went through Groves a few years back he did from grades 9-12.
    So that school has been one were considering.

Unfortunately MIL isn't mush help answering my questions though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We had a teacher overseeing what we were doing. Even when we moved out of Brisbane (4 hours away) he still came and visited us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We follow a more eclectic/unschooling way so I can't help with DE.
    But I do know there are heaps of cirriculums you can purchase online.
    Sonlight is a highly recommended Christian based one, but a quick google
    search of Christian homeschool cirriculum should bring up heaps.

I've been homeschooling my 4 children for 5 years, & the best thing we did
    was join a social group. It gets you in touch with other homeschooling parents, who are an absolute wealth of knowledge, many organise group classes & can open up all sorts of resources you may not even be aware of. I'm in Vic, so I'm not to sure about groups in your area, but the Australian Homeschool Network & OLD Home Education Network should be able to point you in the right direction.

As to when to start, you already have! Children pick up so much just being involved in your everyday life, many of us take for granted what a child learns everyday. But if you want to start formal, sit down type lessons, your child will let you know. When they show an interest in a subject, & can sit & concentrate for however long you want a lesson to be, then start.

Good luck. Homeschooling is the best decision we ever made, we all have so much fun together.

PS The furthest I went in school was year 12, & I don't struggle at all. In fact I think I'm learning more now than I did at school! As the children get older, my eldest is 11 now, we will look at tutors if we need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Rachell, lots of great replies here already. There are quite a few options out there for you to consider.
    If you are looking for more structure and 'school at home' model of learning and homeschooling, then distance education is a good options. You have the secular ie Brisbane School of Distance Education.
    You have Groves, ACC and Jubilee Christian College for more religious based distance education options. You do need to be registered as a home educator and if you choose distance education, the organisation you do it through will help with that process.
    As a home educator you can choose any method/style and curriculum. For us, unschooling or natural learning works best.

Good websites to check out for general info are
    www.hea.edu.au Australian Home Education Association This has good info on different styles of homeschooling.
    http://connectinghomeschoolers.ning.com/ Qld Connecting Homeschoolers
    As far as I know there is no planned change to the laws re: home ed in Qld, but for further info about this, contact Home Education Unit (HEU) http://education.qld.gov.au/parents/...me-ed-unit.htm

Yes any parent can homeschool their child.

No you don't have to have a teaching degree or higher qualification.

No you don't need to enrol or register your child now, you only need to do that once they are legal school age ie 6.5yrs, grade 1. You can start at prep, but its not compulsory at this stage, this law may change in the future by the time your child is ready for prep.

Children are learning all the time, so you dont' need to prepare the child for this. You can read up on blogs, websites, forums, books, yahoo groups, facebook groups - there are lots of resources, so the best preparation is to read up lots and get out there and meet other homeschooling families - yes its never too early as many families have babies and toddlers too and are very friendly and welcoming.
    Its easy to get overwhelmed when you start researching......don't worry, relax.... you don't need to be an expert in everything, as the parent you are a facilitator to your child's learning, so knowing where to find info/resources is your main role, you don't need to know it all.
    Good luck.