+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any advice? Toddler vomiting episodes

I'm clutching at straws here as I've asked so many people and nothing seems to make any difference.

My 14 month old DD has issues with vomiting at bed time. If she goes down happy and is ready to sleep we have no problems, she's out like a light and we don't hear until the following morning. If she doesn't want to sleep, she will have a little whinge and vomit. Everywhere and everything in her tummy. When I say whinge I don't mean cry, its just a whinge, a bit of a sook, then she gags and vomits. Alot of the time its once we've picked her up and she vomits on us, and it could be 15 - 30 seconds later. It goes everywhere so we have no choice but to take her out and clean it up.

She can cry hysterically when she is not in her cot and she won't vomit (maybe bar the absolute odd occasion). She won't let us rock or pat her to sleep, she's not that type of baby. If I'm in the room with her she is even worse and vomits sooner. This has been going on since she was about 9 months. A good day she won't vomit at all, and she has gone a week between episodes. On a bad day she will vomit at every sleep time and until there is nothing left in her tummy, for days and days on end. It is so draining

Anyway, any tips? Anyone gone through something similar?? The GP has prescribed her zantac which did nothing, but he didn't expect her too. She has allergies to egg and peanuts, and has been tested for everything else and nothing has come up.

She is otherwise a very happy and well adjusted child, this one issue just has me stumped!!

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    A cows milk intolerance? Perhaps very mild I know a friends dd who vomits only when lying down which is why It was so hard to pick up. Maybe try another kind of milk and see what happens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply! I did think about that today, but she she vomits its either sitting up or standing up against her cot, she never vomits on her back.
    I'm not sure if its just a temper thing, a manipulative thing or what. I am going to request a paedatrician referral tomorrow and see where that takes me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I did see it on super nanny and it was an attention seeking manipulative thing. She says to clean up the vomit without acknowledging the event or the toddler so in effect it had no impact on mummy or daddy so they stopped doing it. The fact that it doesn't happen every night would mean its less likely to be a diet thing if they eat the same thing every day.. Maybe try super nannys approach and see if it looses it's impact if you are not fussed or fussing over it. Good luck, that would drive me insane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The same thing happened with my little one , only starting after about 12 months.
    It seemed to happen more if he had any dairy at dinner ( yoghurt etc ) and sometimes it still just happens.
    He mostly does it during his pre-bed bottle or just afterwards ( so still on our laps. ) He did it the other night and he is 20 months old.

I tried giving smaller bottles with a longer time between his dinner and his bottle.
    A bottle would almost be a filling as a meal when they are still young...it would be like us having a big meal and then a boost smoothie ( if you know what I mean ).
    But he still wants the bottle as a comfort thing...so I don't think he can stop himself. When I chatted to my doctor about it he was not helpful at all so we just had a bit of trial and error and he doesnt seem to do it as much now.

Good luck ... just follow your gut..you know your bubba best!