+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Struggling to make it through the day...any hints

I am seriously struggling big time to make it through the day with me now working. I have been getting up at 5am each day so we can leave at 6am for bus to before school care so i can start work at 7am. This will soon be earlier if i have to start work at 6/6:30am if i can.

I got home from work at 2:30pm and fell asleep as didnt have to do school pickup as a playdate was organised so that was fine. I cant keep having afternoon naps as it messes me up for the night time with me then going to bed super late and not getting enough sleep.

How can i increase energy/ feel less tired each day. I dont want to wear myself thin as i will also get incredibly sick and be in constant pain and i cant have that as it puts me out of action of doing everything and it wont pay the bills.

How do all of you cope without being so tired?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Coffee!! But I know you don't like it (saw your thread the other day) so that's no help!

Make sure you are eating a healthy, well balanced diet. Take a look at what foods give you energy. Make sure you are eating breakfast-good start to the day helps to keep you going.

Perhaps you need to start taking a multivitamin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm up at 5am for work ad well and sometimes not home until well after 4pm and it is a struggle. I cope by drinking lots of water, early nights (in bed no later than 9pm) and simplified daily chores. So quick easy to prepare meals, daily load of washing which is sometimes hung.out or put thru dryer and a vague house tidy.

Just do the best you can. You will get used to it pretty quickly
    And definitely take a multivitamin if you're into that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's really important to go to bed early.

I'm a bit of a night owl but always try to be in bed by 9 - 9.30 on work nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have been going ti bed quite early for me which is about 8:30/9ish most nights as that gives me some down time.

I have been trying to drink loads of water at work but i dont have the time for loads of toilet breaks and where i have worked past 2 days, i have not seen any water coolers around to get a quick drink and its too hard to carry a water bottle around as i am constantly on the go.

I am trying to eat breakfast but find i am struggling as i am not used to eating that hour of the morning and i have a nice lunch most days as i get it from work which can be a range of different things plus getting coop ready on a cold freezing morning is a struggle too.

Will go and find out about a multivitamin and see if that can also help.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Drink lots of water, try to go to bed earlier each night so it becomes your routine and you're asleep say by 10pm or so.
    When you get home, instead of taking a nap in the afternoons ( even though your body will be screaming at you I'm tired, I'm tired), could you go for a walk, bikeride, quick jog? (I always feel less tired after work if I grab some fresh air and a bit of head space and it sort of sets me up for the evening routine with a clear head, and the exercise will make you less tired).

Be organised - cook ahead on the weekends so that when you get home on a really long day you just have to pull out a curry/lasagne/pie from the freezer to heat up with some vegies. Make one night salad night and another night stir fy night (quick put together meals that are healthy yet fast).

Are you low in iron, buy some Floradix for a boost

Use Coles online so that on Friday nt all your groceries are delivered for the weekend.

And be kind to yourself, don't stress too much!

eta - I was just going to add have some breakfast, it really does set you up better for the day ahead
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 15-05-2012 at 19:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 days a week I'm up at 6 to leave at 6.30 and don't get back in the house until 5.30pm. This will be increasing in 2 weeks too... I'll probably be gone for an extra half hour.

Make sure you have breakfast. It's the easiest way to help IMO. I don't have time to sit at home eating, so I just make it and take it with me. I eat while I'm driving, or once I get to the train station or whatever. An apple is also apparently more "waking" than coffee, so give that a go. It's portable too so easy to eat on the way.

Have a fair bit of protein during the day if you can. I live on basically no food, but most of it is protein and this seriously helps with energy levels.

Drink all day.

Also, go to be early. I go to bed at 10pm to feel "okay" about getting up at 6... so you'd probably need to go to bed even earlier.

Have dinner be something really easy. A salad that you've made hte night before (or heck, even a bag of salad) and some sausages/skewers/etc something that doesn't require any real effort.

Pack school lunches on the weekend - make cupcakes and package them up in portions and freeze. Same with sandwiches. Meat and spreads and cheese freeze well. Avocado spread on will, so will mayo and stuff. Do not freeze veges. They'll go yuck when they defrost.

I also have a "snack box" in my fridge and in my cupboard. On the weekend, after I go grocery shopping, I portion things up. Some the cupboard one has things likes crackers, tins of tuna, nuts, saltanas in there. The fridge one has dip, yoghurt, cheese and fruit and veg that I've cut up and bagged. It means if she's hungry I say, "Yep, go to the snack box." No effort required. I also just grab something out of there to chuck in her lunchbag each night, so it's no effort - go grab some frozen sandwiches or whatever, a piece of fruit, some crackers... and we're done. Obviously don't cut up stuff that'll go gross soon (like apple) but it otherwise works well and totally lessens the time you take to make lunches, and if Coop is hungry after school you can slack off on the couch and not even worry.

Maybe also get your bloods done. If you're actually exhausted, it may be due to something you're lacking. I've just had mine done and I'm fine, but iron and b12 are something women lack a lot... which will lead to no energy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (16-05-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dont have kids so i know its not the same, but I used to work from 5am - 3pm roughly with a 45min drive each way. It would mean getting up at 3.45am to be there on time, work on the run all day and get home around 4ish depending on traffic. If I went to bed it would screw me worse!

As hard as it is force yourself to stay awake!!!! Whatever it takes!!!

I used to home and prepare dinner straight away, was normally kinda hungry given my early start anyway.

If I was you/had kids - I woudl sort them out as soon as I got home ie. bath, lunches, dinner etc.

Then early to bed myself. I would go to bed around 8ish normally.

Cleaning tended to be a weekend thing.

Agree heaps of water, be careful what you eat at lunch - nothing too heavy or too sugary, carbs as it makes you more tired my midafternoon.

Take museli bars, breakfast shakes or sustagen type things for breaky - either to quickly eat at work or to eat on the bus. Also trail mix (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate) snacks for throughout the day.

I personally don't drink coffee as it makes my sleep cycles worse , but if you do set a time limit - so now coffee after 12 or whatever. Same with nrg drinks.

If you absolutely MUST nap limit it to 20min - set your alarm and get up straight away , even if you don't feel you have rested you actualy would have. Sleeping past that puts you into a deeper sleep which really affects your body.

It does get easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Exercise will give you more energy. Maybe some multivitamins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    im terrible in the sense i'd drink heaps of red bull.... got to the point where no matter how much i'd drink, would do anything at all. but yes, going to bed earlyish helps. stock up on the good multivitamins and keep your diet as healthy as possible too.