+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I try to stretch her sleep times but in the morning we get from 7am wake up to max 8:30am and then back up at 9am! we will try !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your response I have been doing the SOS self settling techniques so going in every 8 minutes. He settles within 1-2 minutes but as soon a I remove my hand or leave he screams again. More often than not he cries on and off until the next feed time with no sleep. When I try and keep him up longer he screams non stop and goes into the emotional cry quite fast I was feeding him to sleep and last night had to again after almost 2 hours of fussing at bed time.
    At night time I feed in the dark and have since he was born, I have a very low night light so I can just make out his face. Im gathering he may be having a wonder week as he is fussing a lot more than normal especially at night now.
    I wouldn't mind the catnapping if it didn't take over an hour just to get him to sleep, I spend more time getting him to sleep than I do feeding and playing during the day, it's exhausting. Also to add my 2 year old DD now wakes up multiple times a night since the night DS came home from hospital (((((
    Quote Originally Posted by Plod1608 View Post
    Hi!
    Have you tried some self-settling techniques? Does your little guy put himself to sleep yet or still getting fed, rocked to sleep (nothing wrong with that!) only that he might be using this to associate with sleep and can't put himself back to sleep when hes moving into that next sleep cycle (they can be as short as 20 mins at that age I think) - sorry if I'm telling you what you already know. I've posted a bit of info to '25 and hopeful' about maybe keeping bub up a bit longer. Those night wake ups sound fun! Do u feed in really low light, no noise etc?
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi French Pear thanks for this comment; I agree he is going to take a little while to get used to the cot, which is also in our room - along with his bassinet. It's feeling a bit crowded, but I am keen to follow the SIDS guidelines. I'll go back to trying him on day naps in the cot, and try to make it feel more snug. He is grabbing lots of things, toys, our hands, his bottle sometimes, doesn't like tummy time much so am trying to extend this from seconds to minutes! He had an op at 5 weeks for an intenstinal blockage so the first month at home was a nightmare; he's doing great now and his doc advised to start him on rice cereal this week. So will be curious to see what he does with the weaning spoon )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzee View Post
    Thank you for your response I have been doing the SOS self settling techniques so going in every 8 minutes. He settles within 1-2 minutes but as soon a I remove my hand or leave he screams again. More often than not he cries on and off until the next feed time with no sleep. When I try and keep him up longer he screams non stop and goes into the emotional cry quite fast I was feeding him to sleep and last night had to again after almost 2 hours of fussing at bed time.
    At night time I feed in the dark and have since he was born, I have a very low night light so I can just make out his face. Im gathering he may be having a wonder week as he is fussing a lot more than normal especially at night now.
    I wouldn't mind the catnapping if it didn't take over an hour just to get him to sleep, I spend more time getting him to sleep than I do feeding and playing during the day, it's exhausting. Also to add my 2 year old DD now wakes up multiple times a night since the night DS came home from hospital (((((
    So when you say he screams when u take your hand off, is he asleep? I used the SOS technique as well because I don't like the controlled crying technique. They have to be asleep before you stop patting/leave otherwise it's controlled crying (ie settling them then coming back in if they become upset). I think it took a good couple of weeks before my bub fully self settled. And once they can, they can settle between those sleep cycles and hopefully stop cat napping! You poor bugger, I'm only dealing with one bub, you know what, just do whatever it takes at this age to get through! Alot of people still feed to sleep until 9-10 mths, my health nurse told me there's nothing wrong with that and they don't rely on it until they get to that age anyway. And if it settles bub, it's better than settling an unhappy baby for 2 hours!
    Pm me if you need to ask anything - I'm certainly no expert but might be able to help a little

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plod1608 For This Useful Post:

Kirsty6679  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,
    I find the SOS routines good, they give me an idea of what to run off anyway, I'm flexible with them though if I can see bub needs to go to sleep a bit early etc. I've been putting bub to bed at 7 each night but like I said we have that wake up after 40 mins. It's usually about 9 then by the time she goes to sleep - and then at least 2 feeds overnight! So a long way off sleeping that wonderful long stretch! Are u bottle or breast feeding? I'm breast feeding so wondering if that makes any difference to night sleeps. Yes we do half feed, then bath, then play/cuddle then finish feed, then bed.
    Do u miss that arvo snooze on the SOS routines and that's why you put your bub down at 6.30pm?
    My bub is swatting at play gym too, grabs at things hanging and sticks them in her mouth - its very cute. We had a mirror propped up for her this morning and she was laughing at herself
    We were breastfeeding until 6 weeks, then mix feeding until 9 weeks now DD is fully formula fed, which is a shame as I had really wanted to BF until 6 months. But anyway. DD has an arvo nap (usually 1/2 when we are out walking), she is just tired by 6:30pm again so she is happy to go down then. I think its our bath routine that wears her out! Plus it gives me time to then clean up, make dinner etc before DH gets home from work. I think because she never sleeps the full sleep cycles throughout the day, maybe thats why she is tired by 6:30pm? Thats strange that your DD wakes up after her 1st sleep cycle, but will sleep through in the day sleeps. Has she always done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzana View Post
    hi French Pear thanks for this comment; I agree he is going to take a little while to get used to the cot, which is also in our room - along with his bassinet. It's feeling a bit crowded, but I am keen to follow the SIDS guidelines. I'll go back to trying him on day naps in the cot, and try to make it feel more snug. He is grabbing lots of things, toys, our hands, his bottle sometimes, doesn't like tummy time much so am trying to extend this from seconds to minutes! He had an op at 5 weeks for an intenstinal blockage so the first month at home was a nightmare; he's doing great now and his doc advised to start him on rice cereal this week. So will be curious to see what he does with the weaning spoon )
    I have DD's cot in her bedroom, the bassinette in our room. With both of those in your room no wonder your feeling crowded! I will most probably keep DD in our room until 6 months too. My DD hates tummy time too! She is so cheeky that now she just lays her head on the ground! How scary for you guys with your DS having an OP so young. I hope all is well with him now? He sounds like he is doing well! That is exciting to be starting solids. I wonder how he will react?

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=French Pear;6596426]We were breastfeeding until 6 weeks, then mix feeding until 9 weeks now DD is fully formula fed, which is a shame as I had really wanted to BF until 6 months. But anyway. DD has an arvo nap (usually 1/2 when we are out walking), she is just tired by 6:30pm again so she is happy to go down then. I think its our bath routine that wears her out! Plus it gives me time to then clean up, make dinner etc before DH gets home from work. I think because she never sleeps the full sleep cycles throughout the day, maybe thats why she is tired by 6:30pm? Thats strange that your DD wakes up after her 1st sleep cycle, but will sleep through in the day sleeps. Has she always done that?

Hi, she's never been a great night sleeper but yes, pretty much she had always done it! Strange little thing! Ive been told their sleep cycles are different at night? Not sure. We will see how we go with more awake time

Thanks
    Reviews
    So when you say he screams when u take your hand off, is he asleep? I used the SOS technique as well because I don't like the controlled crying technique. They have to be asleep before you stop patting/leave otherwise it's controlled crying (ie settling them then coming back in if they become upset). I think it took a good couple of weeks before my bub fully self settled. And once they can, they can settle between those sleep cycles and hopefully stop cat napping! You poor bugger, I'm only dealing with one bub, you know what, just do whatever it takes at this age to get through! Alot of people still feed to sleep until 9-10 mths, my health nurse told me there's nothing wrong with that and they don't rely on it until they get to that age anyway. And if it settles bub, it's better than settling an unhappy baby for 2 hours!
    Pm me if you need to ask anything - I'm certainly no expert but might be able to help a little
    Oh great advice, I do usually go in wait until he is calm and starting to fall asleep then I leave. So with your method does it not teach them to cry for that set amount of time knowing you will come and get them off to sleep soon? I'm so confused with this little man. The feeding to sleep is no longer working as he is really fussy on the breast at the moment, either another growth spurt or wonder week. I have plenty of milk so I'm not worried about it just waiting for it to pass.
    Just to clarify do you wait the 8 minutes like in SOS then if he is still crying go in and rock/pat to sleep or only if they are really upset? Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    btw its ok to feed to sleep for as long as it suits you and bub. I fed DD to sleep till 20mths (and I was 7.5mths pregnant). If it aint broke!! dont fix it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Kirsty6679  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, she's never been a great night sleeper but yes, pretty much she had always done it! Strange little thing! Ive been told their sleep cycles are different at night? Not sure. We will see how we go with more awake time
    Babies are so confusing. I always say to DH I have never speculated so much in my whole life as I do about DD - is she too hot, too cold, tired and on and on! Its a lot easier now that she is older and we know each other better, but those first few weeks (months!). Is your DD wrapped at night?

Quote Originally Posted by mezzee View Post
    Oh great advice, I do usually go in wait until he is calm and starting to fall asleep then I leave. So with your method does it not teach them to cry for that set amount of time knowing you will come and get them off to sleep soon? I'm so confused with this little man. The feeding to sleep is no longer working as he is really fussy on the breast at the moment, either another growth spurt or wonder week. I have plenty of milk so I'm not worried about it just waiting for it to pass.
    Just to clarify do you wait the 8 minutes like in SOS then if he is still crying go in and rock/pat to sleep or only if they are really upset? Thanks heaps
    I think with SOS its whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to the waiting times. Have you just started the SOS routine?

My DD sleeps in an Ergo Coccoon, I just took released on arm yesterday. Do any of you still wrap your LO's? Or have them in sleeping bags with their arms and legs enclosed? I want to get a grobag for DD for winter, as I am paranoid about putting so many blankets on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by French Pear View Post
    Babies are so confusing. I always say to DH I have never speculated so much in my whole life as I do about DD - is she too hot, too cold, tired and on and on! Its a lot easier now that she is older and we know each other better, but those first few weeks (months!). Is your DD wrapped at night?

I agree - I've never worried so much in my life!
    Yes, she's wrapped in one of those arms up wraps as shes a thumb sucker and rubs her face with her little wings!

I think with SOS its whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to the waiting times. Have you just started the SOS routine?

My DD sleeps in an Ergo Coccoon, I just took released on arm yesterday. Do any of you still wrap your LO's? Or have them in sleeping bags with their arms and legs enclosed? I want to get a grobag for DD for winter, as I am paranoid about putting so many blankets on her.
    I've got DD in her wrap with grobag over the top and no blankets. It's 2.5 tog, keeps her very toasty!