+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re introducing breastmilk

So this might be a bit out there... But since the birth of my son I am really (for want of a better word) mourning the loss of my breastfeeding relationship with my daughter (16 months). With all the hooha about the time magazine cover I have read quite a lot of articles which talk about the huge benefits of extended breastfeeding. It's really making me disappointed that she weaned and isn't getting the full benefits I can give her.My daughter won't actually take the breast again she thinks it's hilarious that I would even try.I cant believe im actually going to say this - My question is, would it be wrong for me to reintroduce breastmilk into her diet via other means, for example mixed in with her cows milk or with her breakfast? Is there any actual reason why I can't do this that I'm not considering? I have loads of milk and I am collecting a minimum of 150mls a day in leakage while feeding which is just going into the freezer.Please try and avoid calling me a weirdo or whatever cus i feel crazy enough as it is even contemplating this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have absolutely no experience with anything like this but I thought I'd just say that I don't think that's weird AT all! I'm jealous that you can get that much milk out too!!

It will be so good for her if she will drink it

Congrats on the birth of your son!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    well no it wouldnt be wrong, but if you are mourning the BF relationship I dont see how giving it to her in her food would help that. If she is eating well i dont see how breast milk will really benefit her that much (please dont critisise me, i dont know much about BF as I couldnt do it with my son but I am reallllly hoping to be able to with this one) I personally dont see the benefit past 12 months TBH.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I mourn the closeness ofcourse, but also the fact that she isn't getting the benefits that I know I can provide to her.All of the benefits to breastmilk continue past 12 months, if you are interested kellymom summaries the facts here:http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stumbleine For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (15-05-2012),MilkiCuddles  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    My question is, would it be wrong for me to reintroduce breastmilk into her diet via other means, for example mixed in with her cows milk or with her breakfast? Is there any actual reason why I can't do this that I'm not considering? I have loads of milk and I am collecting a minimum of 150mls a day in leakage while feeding which is just going into the freezer.
    Not wrong at all, its a great way of giving her an immunolgical boost. Put that white gold to good use!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like MilkiCuddles I don't have any experience with anything like this, but I think it's a wonderful idea! I can't see any reason why you couldn't re-introduce breastmilk into her diet. As you said, the benefits are still there well beyond 12 months (not sure why that seems to be the magic cut off age where bm suddenly loses it's goodness??!)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (15-05-2012),Stumbleine  (15-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Totally. It's so good for her

Some on her cereal or in a sippy cup would work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    Like MilkiCuddles I don't have any experience with anything like this, but I think it's a wonderful idea! I can't see any reason why you couldn't re-introduce breastmilk into her diet. As you said, the benefits are still there well beyond 12 months (not sure why that seems to be the magic cut off age where bm suddenly loses it's goodness??!)
    I actually just read a website before that put it well "breastmilk doesnt just magically turn to water on the day of your child's 1st birthday".

Well im going to see how we go with some mixed in with her cows milk tonight and go from there Im glad I have some support here about it all, I dont think my family would get it. My husbands in full support which is great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a side note, how annoying is it that the iphone doesnt seem to preserve formatting if you are posting from safari...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's less weird to give her ebm than milk that comes from a cow lol!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (15-05-2012)