+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you cope?

Hi
    I am currently a SAHM with my DD who is 14 months. I am going to begin studying a Bachelor of social science (psychology) in July and was wondering how other mums cope. I have been told i will need to commit 16 hours minimum per week to study. The course is all online which is a bonus as I can do it whenever I can fit it in. I was also going to put DD into daycare two days per week. My partner is FIFO and I don't have any family around that can help out. Does anyone have any advise on ways to organize myself ? How do you guys cope?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm doing a uni preparation course (online) now to start a Bach in oct. I have 3 kids, 1 in prep and my two toddlers in daycare 2 days a week. I do some work at nights but nothing too strenuous as I'm normally tited from being up from 5am, if not before :/
    The other days I'm home with the little ones I do work when they nap, but can normally only get about an hour, so again I just do minimal effort stuff or organise what I will be doing on a kindy day etc: watch online lecture, print off things I need blah blah blah
    It will be hard with your DP/DH doing FIFO. My DH used to do living away but not to a set roster, I never knew when he was coming or going... So hard!!! But luckily for me he decided to change jobs this year so he is working locally.
    It will be hard, but not impossible- maybe you will need three days at daycare, only time will tell
    Good luck with it all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have two toddlers, neither of them go to daycare at all and I'm studying an advanced diploma of naturopathy. It's daunting at first but you eventually get into a routine with it. I mostly study at night but also once or twice during the week while my youngest has a nap and my eldest does a quiet activity. It's all about finding a balance.

I figure I can waste time watching Masterchef or the like or I can work on something that will help me achieve my goals.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    glad someone has asked this, because im looking into studying nursing then midwifery and mab something else after that for experience. i have 2 little ones one is 3 the other 2 they go to daycare 2 days a week, my partner works fulltime and im shiiiittting my self lol. i dont no how ill cope, im glad their are other mums feeling the same way and coping with it, gives me hope

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

86cin  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just finished a Bachelor degree, and my biggest piece of advice would be - don't fall behind, it's way to hard to catch up!

I made sure at the commencement of the semester I had a very organised calendar of what needed to be achieved by when, and worked towards this every week. If for some reason I was unable to achieve it (kids sick etc) I made sure to catch up the next week. It helps you to plan your workload (weekly modules, assignments), especially if you are doing more than one subject at a time.

In terms of the workload, I also tried to get ahead a little bit by starting prior to the actual semester start date (by two or three weeks if possible), and by working through the mid semester break. This meant that when I had assignments due, I could take a break in the weekly module work, and concentrate solely on the assignment. Sometimes I had to go back with a little bit of revision if the lectures etc were posted after I had completed the module, but found that helpful for exam prep.

What also worked for me, was making sure my kids were in a predictable routine. They were at home with me all the time (no daycare), so I made sure they were in a good routine so I knew what the sleep times etc would be, so I could plan my time around that.

There's no doubt it's tough, and it doesn't leave you much spare time, but I found it totally doable - and reaching the goal at the end is worth it!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ELB For This Useful Post:

86cin  (23-05-2012),BrAins  (21-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much for your advice. I will start getting DD into a better routine now. Makes me feel a little better that other people have more kids and still do it
    Thanks