+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yummm all of these sound great! You could never get bored of oats!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TTC1 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love mine in the morning with rice or almond milk, fresh ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon - it tastes like Christmas! I do cook them though then add a little honey and white chai seeds after. Yum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CamD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Perhaps not the kind of advice you're after, but I just checked and the oats I eat for breakfast are apparently "low GI." They're the Be Natural brand, and the Pink Lady Apple and some other sort of berries in there. Not super-sweet and ew like the Uncle Toby's ones or anything.
    I've bought the vanilla and almond ones in this brand before. They certainly weren't anything to rave about. I think the sugar content was quite high too.

OP - are you cooking the oats or just eating them with cold milk??

If so then definitely cook them with milk or water and make yummy yummy porridge. "Quick" oats tend to have a smoother consistency than "traditional oats" but the same GI - they are just ground up a bit. Most things usually added to add interest to porridge are high GI (sugar/honey) but fruit is usually exempt from these kinds of diets (diabetes etc) so why not add some cut up banana? Yum yum yum yum! If fat/calories is not a big concern then cream instead of milk in porridge is really yummy and naughty heehee. I've only had it once and God it was so good!
    I've been cooking them just with some soy milk. I think i might try them with banana. I'm not really a big fan of banana but don't mind it when it's in something... just can't stand them on their own.
    I basically have to follow a diabetic diet, low fat and vegetarian are my requirements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you don't like oats, there are other low GI breakfast options:

Most musli blends are low GI
    Kellogs sustain is low GI
    If you like something hot maybe some low GI toast (Burgen soy and linseed or any good sourdough are options, but there are lots) with a savoury spread (ike vegemite) and glass of milk or an egg.

In general foods that are high in fibre, protien and/or fat are low GI (oats are high in fibre so low GI). Don't know if you have other restrictions to your diet (eg low fat).

I'd recommend picking up one of the GI diet books as they have lots of useful information and suggestions. Breakfast seems to be the most difficult meal to plan for me, at the moment musli is doing the trick, though I am naughty and add honey. The thing about GI is that it's not about the amount of carbohydrate in the food but the type, so it gets complicated and the books really helped me understand

I don't like oats, but have eaten them cooked with grated pear and they were OK.
    I relise there are other options. I'm just not a fan of eating breakfast full stop. I looking for something quick, easy and healthy. Oats would just be so convenient.
    I just need to learn to like them first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grated apple or pear, banana, berries, even a little cinnamon if using apple or pear.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Oats with some Milk, warmed through to make porridge with either some vanilla essence, cinnamon, banana or honey. Or a mix of! =) Brown Sugar is yum too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Brown sugar or honey. You could even try a spoonful of your favourite jam stirred through while the oats are warm so the jam melts through

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (16-05-2012)