+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What?? Porridge is awesome! I'm so glad I was raised on it, cause now as an adult it is my "go to " food when I want to lose weight :-) cooked really well with water and soy milk, with honey on top :-)

***Sent from my phone***

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-05-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Remember that you have to soak your oats, no matter what type they are, before you eat them.

http://www.highonhealth.org/why-its-...-you-eat-them/

I have mine with brown sugar and sliced banana. Sometimes I drop bits of chopped up dates in as it's cooking, makes it sweet throughout.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Remember that you have to soak your oats, no matter what type they are, before you eat them.

http://www.highonhealth.org/why-its-...-you-eat-them/

I have mine with brown sugar and sliced banana. Sometimes I drop bits of chopped up dates in as it's cooking, makes it sweet throughout.
    I would rephrase that to "Should soak them".. It's not a necessity.. But is beneficial
    :-)

***Sent from my phone***

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Perhaps not the kind of advice you're after, but I just checked and the oats I eat for breakfast are apparently "low GI." They're the Be Natural brand, and the Pink Lady Apple and some other sort of berries in there. Not super-sweet and ew like the Uncle Toby's ones or anything.

Anyway, might be worth a google. I don't even like porridge but like these ones!

Otherwise some pureed apple might help for flavour. I used to do this for DD and it tasted pretty nice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - are you cooking the oats or just eating them with cold milk??

If so then definitely cook them with milk or water and make yummy yummy porridge. "Quick" oats tend to have a smoother consistency than "traditional oats" but the same GI - they are just ground up a bit. Most things usually added to add interest to porridge are high GI (sugar/honey) but fruit is usually exempt from these kinds of diets (diabetes etc) so why not add some cut up banana? Yum yum yum yum! If fat/calories is not a big concern then cream instead of milk in porridge is really yummy and naughty heehee. I've only had it once and God it was so good!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    i love my morning oats! i just add low fat milk and cinnamon and mashed banana or apple or dried fruit, no sugar... and it tastes great! especiallly on a cold morning...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbehaving For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i make porridge with 2 parts water and one part skim milk, then a teaspoon of brown sugar and a banana sliced on top. yummm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I add banana and cinnamon. Or stewed fruit such as apricot, apple or pear.

If you are talking about cold oats - not porridge oats then try some yoghurt, yumm!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my porridge I use rolled oats and cook it with equal parts oats, water and milk 1/2 cup for one serve. I add a pinch of salt when cooking and mashed banana and honey to sweeten. I have also been adding flaxseed meal and coconut lately.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't like oats, there are other low GI breakfast options:

Most musli blends are low GI
    Kellogs sustain is low GI
    If you like something hot maybe some low GI toast (Burgen soy and linseed or any good sourdough are options, but there are lots) with a savoury spread (ike vegemite) and glass of milk or an egg.

In general foods that are high in fibre, protien and/or fat are low GI (oats are high in fibre so low GI). Don't know if you have other restrictions to your diet (eg low fat).

I'd recommend picking up one of the GI diet books as they have lots of useful information and suggestions. Breakfast seems to be the most difficult meal to plan for me, at the moment musli is doing the trick, though I am naughty and add honey. The thing about GI is that it's not about the amount of carbohydrate in the food but the type, so it gets complicated and the books really helped me understand

I don't like oats, but have eaten them cooked with grated pear and they were OK.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post: