+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default How do you make your oats edible?

I have to follow a low GI diet.I'm struggling as everything low GI seems to be bland and tasteless. I bought a box of oats mixed with barley. It's low GI, low sugar content, etc... seemed to tick all the boxes.
    I tried to have a bowl for breakfast this morning. I managed a few spoonfuls. It was rather bland and tasteless but worst of all it looked like cat vomit ( the kind where they vomit up a heap of biscuits). I couldn't shake the though so ended up gagging and dry retching... it wasn't a good start

So what i'm wondering is how do you make oats more appealing? I still need to keep them rather healthy so no adding copious amounts of sugar or anything of the sorts.

What do you put on your oats? What kind do you use? I have feeling the barley ones aren't going to work out for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use rolled oats, I can't stand anything mushy. I add chia seeds, nuts, dedicated coconut, pepitas and lots of cinnamon. Yum. Sometimes craisins, but they are pretty high in sugar

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just use normal rolled oats. Things I like are brown sugar, LOTS of berries, banana, honey..

I also like oats uncooked with yoghurt, grated apple, cinnamon and berries.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest mixing it with seeds like sunflower, pepitas and almonds. I make my own muesli and make it very low in sugar but I do use goji berries and dried cranberries. I also mix it with some flakes made with rye and quinoa you could find it in the health food section of the supermarket. I really like variety in textures and makes things more appealing to me.
    See how you go.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TTC1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just have rolled oats and cold milk (sometimes I heat it in microwave to warm the milk) then it still has plenty of texture and taste. I like it. I am a health freak though and try to only put good things in my body. The better my diet, the longer i'll live and the more time i'll have with my children

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachie81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have oats for breakfast every morning and I put half a teaspoon of honey in it and some cinnamon. It tastes yummy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I use rolled oats, I can't stand anything mushy. I add chia seeds, nuts, dedicated coconut, pepitas and lots of cinnamon. Yum. Sometimes craisins, but they are pretty high in sugar
    I'm the same with the texture. DS eats the quick oat sachets and i can't hack the texture of the those. Plus the massive sugar content makes them a big no-no theses days.
    Your mix sounds pretty good. What kind of nuts do you use? I hate coconut so thats out. I have chia seeds, pepitas and craisins in the cupboard but yep so high in sugar. I guess a few might be alright though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would suggest mixing it with seeds like sunflower, pepitas and almonds. I make my own muesli and make it very low in sugar but I do use goji berries and dried cranberries. I also mix it with some flakes made with rye and quinoa you could find it in the health food section of the supermarket. I really like variety in textures and makes things more appealing to me.
    See how you go.
    I like the sound of your mix. I have some quinoa in the cupboard too. Might give that a shot.

What kind of cinnamon does everyone use? Is it just ground cinnamon or do you use cinnamon sugar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use whatever nuts are on special, or that I have in the cupboard. At the moment it's walnuts and flaked almonds. Occasionally I'll have macadamias

ETA - I just use plain cinnamon. I get huge jars at Costco for around $6 - the last one lasted me nearly a year using it almost every day, and in baking etc

15. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have oats every day and add sliced banana, honey, cinnamon and a touch of cold milk. Yum!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post: