+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    LoveHeart, if it got to that point THEN I'd report it. I respect my son's feelings, if he didn't want to feel like a dobber and he told me something in confidence and told me not to act on it, I wouldn't (unless it was something extreme like s3xual abuse).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    LoveHeart, if it got to that point THEN I'd report it. I respect my son's feelings, if he didn't want to feel like a dobber and he told me something in confidence and told me not to act on it, I wouldn't (unless it was something extreme like s3xual abuse).
    My injury took about 6 weeks before I realised it was getting quite bad. By then its hard to remember exact details like date, time. I did report it after all that time it would sound made up. Which by the way i did try to report it but my report was so vague they couldn't do anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveHeart View Post
    My injury took about 6 weeks before I realised it was getting quite bad. By then its hard to remember exact details like date, time. I did report it after all that time it would sound made up. Which by the way i did try to report it but my report was so vague they couldn't do anything.
    In this case, the DD would have witnesses. Mum can write it down in diary.

Of course, it's up to her whether she reports or not. I can see both POVs but personally I wouldn't report it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd just write down the incident, time and date, and if your DDs injury does get worse, then make a complaint but your DD has asked you not to, and I think if she'd wanted it reported she would have told you in a way that gave you that option.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would report it AND get your child checked by a doctor. I had this exact same thing happen to me, and I was fine for a day or two (except for a bruised ego and bottom) once the swelling went down, it was discovered I had 'chipped' my tail bone. It healed well and I didn't have any trouble, until I got pregnant and then the pain was awful ( and is again) exactly the same type of pain, and two doctors have said it was because of the previous injury. That was nearly 20 years ago... Don't risk your Childs health at the expense of a 'cool' teachers reputation.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (30-05-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (15-05-2012),LoveHeart  (15-05-2012),LoveLivesHere  (15-05-2012),twotrunks  (22-05-2012),WorkingClassMum  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually think that's pretty serious. Unprofessional, dangerous (I know people who have had nasty back injuries from pranks like that), hurtful and just a generally stupid idea. Not something to model to other kids, not okay to encourage kids to laugh at each other getting hurt or embarrassed and the kind of thing that leads to kids dreading going to school.

I'd go and speak to the teacher. Your daughter's reaction (begging you not to as she doesn't want to be treated differently or teased at school for getting the cool teacher into trouble) is exactly why its so wrong for teachers to do this! There's an unequal power position here. And I wouldn't let it just pass.

I'd be polite but firm that I know what's happened, and its upset both me and her and I expect it to never ever happen again. I wouldn't go any further at this stage, but I'd keep an eye on the situation.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (15-05-2012),LoveLivesHere  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would firstly see MR R and ask him what happened exactly and why etc.
    Then I would go from there depending on how I was feeling.

I would not be going to the principle just yet without all the facts and both sides of the story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the other hand, what if you ignore your daughter's request, and something worse happens but your daughter decides not to tell you because she doesn't think she can trust you?

It's a tough one OP.

Personally I would agree not to take it any further, but I would make a condition of that that your daughter tells you if anything similar happens to her or anyone else in the future, and she tells you if she has any problems with her back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Melting Mayo View Post
    Morning all - I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment. DD is in Year 8 at school. There is a 'cool' male teacher who all of the kids love and adore because he is younger and fun ra ra ra. Okay - so DD came home from school the other day and told me that this teacher (we'll call him Mr R) had made her cry today. So I kept asking questions to get to the bottom of things and basically what happened was DD leant across out of her chair to get a calculator, Mr R was behind her chair, and pulled it out from underneath her as she went to sit down. This resulted in her landing flat on her back and everyone laughing - which in turn ended in her crying because of a hurt back and also because of the embarrassment that it caused. He then apparently apologised. Her back (thankfully) is all okay but it could have been a lot worse.

Now - before I became a SAHM I was an HR Consultant for an Education Department. I know what could happen to this teacher if this incident was reported officially. BUT - DD has BEGGED me not to say anything - because she is worried that this 'cool' teacher will treat her differently if he gets into trouble for this.

What would you do? P.S. her pop has found out and wants to go and throttle this teacher. Which he wouldn't really do- but it's just his way of making it clear to me that he doesn't just want it left......

As hard as it is.. I wouldn't say anything. I would try and encourage your DD to let you report it. My concern is that if you report or talk to this teacher and your DD finds out she won't trust you to confide in you again. I am in NO WAY condoning his behaviour and if you ask me he should be given a severe talking to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um... Omg! I would definitely be reporting this. I can't believe a teacher would be so reckless (and this is coming from a high school teacher). You really shouldn't even put your hands on a student let alone pull out their chair with the intention of public humiliation. The teacher seems to be playing the cool card and have forgotten that their relationship is not a friendship, it's a teacher/student relationship and should be considered as such. This teacher isn't going to lose his job, but will definitely be pulled up on it and I think this is a positive thing. If a student did this to another student in my class I would give them a detention... Mr R is setting an extremely bad example

14. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (15-05-2012)