+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd speak to the principal. Let the principal know you don't want your DD to be targeted because of it and that it isn't an official complaint. That you just want an explanation.
    The school could then deal with it without the teacher potentially losing his job. And it wouldn't have just been swept under the carpet, the principal would be livid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd tell the principal, but just that you want someone to have a quiet word to him, not make an official complaint.

My mum did this after I told her what our PE teacher in HS was saying to his students about my younger brother and his friend who were both in year 7 - that he was a bit worried because they were "always touching each other" (they were always wrestling/mucking around as year 7 boys do for fun). His senior students got a good laugh out of it which was what he was after. He'd also joked with his students that if Anna K (that hot tennis player) walked into the room he'd "go shares in a rape charge". His male students found this hilarious and he was very focussed on entertaining them. Anyway, mum only mentioned the comments made about my brother, she was furious that 2 boys be made to feel embarrassed about being boys. No formal complaint was made but he was spoken to and reigned in his behaviour a bit, and he kept his job.

I've met people injured by others pulling out their chair, one permanently who could never return to the job she loved, so yeah, it is a big deal and he needs to know that, he's just lucky she was ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I'd report it. Humiliation and injury are not approved teaching strategies that I'm aware of and I would not let him get away with it to go away and pull a similar stunt on another child that may be seriously injured. I'd explain this to my DD as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day Mr R is in a school to teach.
    Not to create personal relationships with his students...
    No to try and earn the role of a "cool teacher"

Has he done stunts like this to other students?
    If not i would be worried he was singling your daughter out.
    Wether it be in a bullying way or in a way that he is drawing the attention of him Self to your daughter.

As you said Mr R is young. He might not be fully aware of the consequences of his actions due to the fact he hasn't been teaching long.
    And if he keeps going on with this type of "cool" behavior it could land him in a lot of trouble in the future.

He would just have to do something like this to a child with parents whose attitudes of fixing the problem aren't sound.
    And it might in future raise suspicions as to why this teacher wants to gain students trust, and put them in a position that the student feels they can't tell mum or dad and in your case has the student petrified of the parents reporting them due to the fact he is cool, and kids love him.

Ask your self if it was the grumpy math teacher that no one liked who did this would your daughter think differently about you reporting him?

I think the best thing you could do is talk to the school about it, or him.

If it continues or your daughters behavior changes then I would look at taking it further.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 15-05-2012 at 12:51.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (15-05-2012),twotrunks  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would report it. I hurt my back on public transport and didn't report it at the time because I thought it was all ok and worse case would be a bruise. Little did I know it got worse and worse over a number of weeks. By the time I realised the injury was serious I couldn't remember the exact details of the incident and it was too late to report it. The injury was so bad I was out of work for 3 months, I had to have cortisone injections into my spine. I feel lucky that I recovered fully in about 6 months. It still plays up every now and then but I am thankful that it isn worse.

If it was my child I would report it in a heart beat. This injury can get worse! Please report it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveHeart For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact the teacher and make a time to speak to them in person at school. Go through the year level coordinator rather than the principal (who often does not know their staff all that well). Raise your concerns with the coordinator. If you feel the chat is enough, leave it. If you feel the teacher is still acting inappropriately then you take it further.

Many young teachers are not aware/not taught the appropriate behavior for the classroom. But all teachers are role models and should be showing adult, not juvenile behavior.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a high school teacher and was mortified to read your post! It definitely should never have happened.

I think that he knows what he did was really wrong by apologising. I also think that if he behaves in a similar fashion in future you should not hesitate to contact him. It's always best to go straight to the teacher rather than going over their heads.

I understand what people are saying about him being young and cool, but regardless of your age and gender, teachers should never step over THAT line that divides children and adults - I mean in terms of what they say and what they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sure this "mr.R" likes being the "cool" teacher and personally i feel he is acting like a student not a teacher!
    if that were my daughter her father and i would have been down the school already!
    but seeming as she begged... it makes it a little harder... i think i would be talking to him one on one. i would be stating that i will not have this happening to my daughter and that she is worried she will be treated different etc.
    if he did start bullying her further thinking he is untouchable, i would take it higher. IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would leave it, but ask that she tell you when things like this happen.

It sounds like they were just having fun and it went overboard. A teacher who has great rapport with his students is a great thing and you obviously wish him no harm.

If similar things continue to happen, I'd make a complaint.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the people saying you wouldn't report it, how would you feel if it was your child and the injury got worse? The injury could get so bad your child would need injections into their spine? I was 22 when it happened to me and when I had to have the injections I screamed like a little girl. My boyfriend (now hubby) couldn't come in with me because they have to use scanning machines to make sure the needles are in the right spot before they inject them. And you don't want to report it because you don't want Mr Cool teacher to have a bad day, or you want to look good for your child? It's time to be the parent and do what's right for your child.

Sorry I feel so strongly about back injuries. It was a really bad time in my life.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveHeart For This Useful Post:

sandy_1902  (15-05-2012)