+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what would you do? student/teacher incident

Morning all - I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment. DD is in Year 8 at school. There is a 'cool' male teacher who all of the kids love and adore because he is younger and fun ra ra ra. Okay - so DD came home from school the other day and told me that this teacher (we'll call him Mr R) had made her cry today. So I kept asking questions to get to the bottom of things and basically what happened was DD leant across out of her chair to get a calculator, Mr R was behind her chair, and pulled it out from underneath her as she went to sit down. This resulted in her landing flat on her back and everyone laughing - which in turn ended in her crying because of a hurt back and also because of the embarrassment that it caused. He then apparently apologised. Her back (thankfully) is all okay but it could have been a lot worse.

Now - before I became a SAHM I was an HR Consultant for an Education Department. I know what could happen to this teacher if this incident was reported officially. BUT - DD has BEGGED me not to say anything - because she is worried that this 'cool' teacher will treat her differently if he gets into trouble for this.

What would you do? P.S. her pop has found out and wants to go and throttle this teacher. Which he wouldn't really do- but it's just his way of making it clear to me that he doesn't just want it left......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd maybe make an appointment and talk to him about it ?
    Actually not really sure what I'd do, is the teacher known for doing stupid things like that ?
    Good luck.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you really don't want to report it could at least go and talk to the teacher in question about his actions??

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're worried he might treat your DD differently- report it anonymously (sp). Just call and say your child said Mr R did it to a girl in Class 8X (or whatever it's called).

They should both investigate and respect your anonymity.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boost For This Useful Post:

&BabyMakes4xxx  (16-05-2012),Liddybugs  (15-05-2012)

In My Stride is offline 3 babies, 2 businesses, 1 husband & a partridge in a pear tree
    Thanks
    Reviews
    On the one hand I think he's young blah blah, trying to be cool etc don't burn him at the stake.

On the other hand, if a student had done that, they would have been in serious trouble. He is an adult charged with looking after and educting your child, an act like this makes me think he is overly concerned with being 'the cool teacher' rather than doing his job. I'm sure you don't want him crucified, but if his head isn't in the right place he may doing something this stupid again, if you don't report it there will be no record of this incident . . . . .

Is there a senior teacher or administrator at the school you could speak with who would listen to your request to 'reign him in' without throwing the book at him? There must be middle ground somewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd report it as another child in the class' parent.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd either report it to the principal anonymously or I'd leave it if my kid asked me to.

I had a really cool teacher who, while didn't do stuff like that, probably could have watched his tongue more than he did but he only really acted like that towards people who gave as good as they got (like me).

If I'd told my mum some of the stuff he'd said to me she'd have had his guts for garters, so I didn't because I'd have hated for him to get into trouble.

NessaM24 is offline Fred, why don't you go outside and vroom that lawn mower around the yard?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to accuse your daughter of lying, but as a teacher, perhaps approach the teacher yourself why and what made her cry and ask for his version of events without revealing what your daughter has said.

Kids sometimes have a way of saying one thing to hide or deflect something else..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NessaM24 For This Useful Post:

CMF  (15-05-2012),SuperGranny  (15-05-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Id report it. My dh is a high school teacher as well. If he did that to a student i would expect a parent to bring it up.

Causing physical harm is not on! Why put trying to be cool ahead of safety?

Not on.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (15-05-2012),LoveLivesHere  (15-05-2012),Mod-Myztik  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think I'd personally leave it. It sounds like he felt bad afterwards, hence apologising, so perhaps he learned his lesson. It's unprofessional, but if he's an otherwise good teacher and your DD is happy for it to be left I think I'd let this one go.

If anything happens in future, bring it up then.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

3InATub  (15-05-2012)