+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 started when she was 4 turning 5 in June. We ummmed and ahhhhed about it for ages. Preschool said they thought she was ready but they were concerned about her shyness. That wasn't going to change in 1 year though. So, we enrolled her and asked the school teachers what they thought during Kindergarten Orientation and they thought she was ready.

The year she started she was the 2nd youngest in the whole year with the youngest being born 1 day before her. Some of her friends turned 5 in march and april though. But yeah many others were 1 year older. She is doing well. Started High school at 11yrs turning 12yrs and is in Year 8 now. There has been some "friends" issues which you can get unfortunately but even though DD1 isn't 13 yet she is still more emotionally mature than some. She did have some bullying issues in primary also which maybe she might have been able to handle better if she was older but who knows.

When DD2 & DD3 started they were November so I was relieved not to have to make that decision again. And the year they started there was actually heaps of children who were 4 turning 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends on your child. My DD was born early July and will be staring school at 5, she is in Kindy now (she is 3). She adores Kindy and is very social so no worries there at all. I feel she is fine to start school early.
    My second DD is a different personality and i think she could have trouble adapting to school so in her case i would hold her back if i thought it was best (bit early to know yet).
    I would rather not have to repeat as i worry it may be confusing for the child.
    In short, it depends on the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is a late June baby too, I have enrolled her into NSW kindergarten and she will be 4years 7 months when she starts. I haven't decided 100% but I will play it by ear, see how she goes at orientation. I was worried that she might be too shy to start so young but even over the last few weeks she has become more confident around other children. She can count to ten, scribble but can't write her name or read anything. She seems to grasp basic scientific concepts well and has a fascination with science at the moment, she is very co-ordinated, I am trying to teach her to tie her shoelaces at the moment. A lot of her daycare friends are starting next year at the same school so it will be nice for her to already know people, they are alot taller than her though. We will see how it goes anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kindy in NSW is equivalent to grade one in Queensland, I just moved to NSW and had to familiarise myself with the different systems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure what state you're in but i know in SA the "rules" for children starting school has recently changed (starting Jan 2014) - schools currently have intakes each term, so when the child turns 5 they start day 1 of the next term. However, the new intake rules that if a child's 5th birthday prior to "x" date in May (for memory) then they start the first day of term 1 in 2014, the children who turn 5 after the date in May will start first day of term 1 in 2015...so some children will be 4.5 and some will be 5.5 when they first start school.

Our DS (5 in Feb 2014) will start school first day of term 1 in 2014.
    When we had our school tour etc early this year to enrol our DS the Principal advised that this was to align all school intakes and align all the curriculums across Australia...

NB - This is for public Govt schools - not sure the "rules" on Non-Govt schools....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i have a son born at the end of may and i will def be holding back.
    my reasons are while he appears ready i dont want to send early only to repeat which will cause social stigma.
    i don't want him to repeat and have his friends go on without him.
    i don't want to put un needed pressure on him too early.
    i don't know how emotionally ready he will be to go to high school at 11.5
    i don't want to send him to highschool at 11.5 and have him exposed to the much more adult world of highschool.
    even though he might appear ready now, another yr will only see him more ready and therefore it might be easier for him as opposed to struggling.
    physical size. he is a bit on the little side, i dont want home to be bullied for being little. again will be an issue going into high school.
    a whole yr younger when sitting the hsc and dealing with the pressure and stress surrounding that.
    being the last of his friends to get a job or a license etc. again social impact of isolating him from his peers.
    I've known or know now several sent early kids of varying ages and its so obvious that maturity level is less.

honestly i can see heaps of reasons why its better to hold back and pretty much none for why i might send early. plus i get a whole extra yr with my beautiful boy

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (25-06-2012)