+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default younger psychologist

i know this sounds silly but it just feels funny talkin to someone younger than me about issues . i am 36 and at a guess she is early 30's. the reason the Dr sent me to see one is stress and anxiety as a result of my step daughter and husband. however i know the feelings have also stemmed from childhood ....feeling let down all the time,never being able to trust etc. i just don't know if i can bring myself to talk about this stuff as she seems young. i have been twice to see her. first time great. 2nd not so great. little things like i say i am a control freak and feel it's over the top at times.... her response is it's ok, control freaks are fine i am one myself. i don't know what to do. suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pysch/client relationships are like any relationships, sometime you just don't feel comfortable or get along! So it's ok to try a few until you find someone that's right for you.
    But having said that, it's only been a couple of sessions, try and remember that she's a highly trained professional and her age shouldn't matter. I don't think her age should make a difference in this case, for those issues.
    I sort of know how you feel though, there are times when I've been to a male psych when I would have preferred to talk to a woman and a time when I wanted to talk to a man but had a woman!
    Either way, they're there to help, but like any relationship, it needs time to develop.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks. i guess i just worry as only have 6 sessions covered with medi care so really want to make sure i get what i need out of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you don't feel like you connect, there's nothing wrong with asking to see someone else. Are there other psychs in her practice?

I think it's really important to feel comfortable and relaxed and if you don't, then you may not be using those Medicare sessions to your advantage.

Try to decide if it's just her age (she may have graduated from uni 10 years ago, have a lot of experience and a phd by her early 30s) or something else that's bothering you? If you're just not clicking, then find someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there's quite a few at the practice but there is one problem. step daughter sees one, her bio mum sees another, my husband sees one so cos i was so busy holding it together for all of them i missed out on going to see anyone so got the new person who started working there as they didn't want conflict of interest with me seeing one of the others

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you fed back to the psych what it is you want from the sessions and that certain responses make you feel dismissed, when what you are there for is to have certain things explored? But perhaps that would be considered control freakish. Does it have to be that practise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's important to let her know how you feel. Her role is to ensure you get the right support, and if that's with someone else, then she will support you to transition to someone else. Alternatively, you may find that you are able to work through the issues by discussing them. She is trained to have these conversations and it is her job to not gt defensive about any feedback. Getting the right match is not always easy, and it is not uncommon to have to try a few different people before you find the right one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it's a lot to do with her agreeing to stuff and not really challenging me about my thoughts etc. i used to see a psych in bondi for a severe eating disorder. he challenged me a lot and made me really think about my thought processes etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Remember too that a psych has training to help you sort out feelings/anxieties etc. it's not based on their life experiences. I saw a psych who was in her mid-late 20's I'm sure and I was about 32. For anxiety etc. she was great.
    Also, you can get more visits than 6 on Medicare so don't think you'll waste any. I went for at least 18 or so. Just kept renewing the health plan.
    But... If its not comfortable after a few just explain and she may be able recommend someone who can help.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmummy View Post
    i think it's a lot to do with her agreeing to stuff and not really challenging me about my thoughts etc. i used to see a psych in bondi for a severe eating disorder. he challenged me a lot and made me really think about my thought processes etc.

That's actually something she can change fairly easily. She probably doesn't realize this is your preferred approach. Let her know that you want her to challenge you more and not be so gentle with you. She will appreciate the feedback and can change her approach.