+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any Grade 2 teachers??

I am rather concerned about my daughters teacher and her actually getting through this year

She has gone from spelling words really well like denied, denying, denies etc etc back to now spelling words such as bat, mat snap etc. When she was getting the harder lists she was getting 10/10 week in week out. Since she has gone onto the easier words (which are the same as Grade 1, as I had a look). Her test book has stopped coming home.

I have emailed the teacher and they have started a new program called Works Their Way. The children were tested and then put in groups by results. I also notice that the person my DD is with is one of the teacher aides not one of the teachers.

When I went to the parent/teacher interviews the whole time was on what she can not do. There was not one positive thing said the whole time. On talking to other parents their interviews were the same. Last year my DDs teacher had no such concerns. So I am not sure what is going on and I am worried about my girl

On top of this she has *****ed to a parent (who is a teacher) about the parents who help out for reading groups

Any advice, tips or thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice would be to set up another meeting with the teacher to directly address your concerns, and what will be done about them right away. I'd also schedule another meeting in a month's time to follow up. (it will show her how serious you are, and will make her more likely to do something about it)
    Definitely go see the principal to get him/her in the loop too. If the worst case scenario eventuates and you need to request a grade change the principal will be more likely to say yes if you've involved them and explored all avenues with the teacher.
    Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm - the fact she is going backwards is concerning. The program is called 'words their way' and it's individually tested. Not sure how it's used in your daughters class but in my school the emphasis has been taken off learning weekly words (as they are often just remembered for a test and not used in the context of writing anyway) - and it now focuses more on language features. Perhaps this is the case. Also I wouldn't be too worried about a TA working with the kids. They are often very competent capable facilitators

Hope that helps. I'd make an appointment with the teacher to address your concerns though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Katrina2008  (14-05-2012),PomPoms  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a junior primary teacher and use words their way for spelling. Part of my parent interviews is showing the parents their individual child's test and assessment (I staple them together). I find this a clear way to show and explain to the parents what their focus in spelling is and why. Maybe you could ask to see your childs results? I am always very happy to show my parents their childs results and progress- hopefully your childs teacher will be too. I had on particular child in my class who was a good speller, but was adding e on to the end of all of her words- for example spelled hot as hote and dig as dige. Therefore for a few weeks she was learning short vowel sounds, before progressing further. It 'looked' like the words were too easy for her, but they were actually at a level that she needed for a short time.(not that this may be the case with your daughter). I would have another meeting with the teacher and voice all of your concerns. Please let me know if I can help you, feel free to pm me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks guys.

I think I will arrange a time to see her and take my DP along. He is not so easily fobbed off as me

Her having an aid does not worry me overly. The teacher did say they have only just implemented this program (last 2 weeks, going by the change in the words). This is the only thing we have noticed her going backwards in. Her reading at home is flying along. She finds the books given for readers boring and reads them in about a minute. She then gets out her chapter books and reads those. She loves reading and I don't want her to loose that because they are giving her books that are to easy.

I find her teacher unapproachable and knowing what she says to other parents worries me LOL

I will try and set up a meeting with her I think