+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 Week Old Constantly Awake

Hey Everyone,

DS is our first and is 4 weeks today. I've noticed that as of the past 2 weeks he is awake for very long periods of time and I can't fathom why... It's as if he just doesn't want to go to sleep.

Basically he can be awake for anywhere between 1 - 3 hours straight throughout the day with a 1 - 2 hour nap in between. Sometimes he goes down for half an hour and other times refuses to at all no matter how much I try.

We have tried a mixture of feeding on the nipple and DF feeding by bottle, bathing, showering, driving in the car, walking in the pram, going in the bouncer, rocking to sleep, turning the dishwasher on, lying with me in our bed, leaving him to settle himself in his bassinet and stroking him to sleep.

He sleeps well at night, usually 3 - 5 hours straight with just a feed and nappy change in between. He's not crying the entire time he's awake. For the most part he's quite content just staring at everything and kicking his lil legs and arms. If I swaddle him he screams blue murder until his arms are free and he can move his legs a little.

He's growing perfectly and looks very healthy and happy... Is this normal? He used to go straight back down after being fed, burped and has his nappy change. Some days he would sleep through a nappy change.

Is there anything I can put into my diet that will make him more drowsy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was like this as well and as long as she was happy and not crying I just let her be awake.
    She is 6 months now and is up for about 2 hours each time during the day for a feed and play before giving me signs thats she is ready for a nap that usually last for 2-3 hours each time.
    If you can cope with him being awake my advice would be to just go with it and you will fall into a routine with each other.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If he is happy, content and growing I wouldn't try to make him sleep, I'm confused as to why you would?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-05-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    If he is happy, content and growing I wouldn't try to make him sleep, I'm confused as to why you would?
    I agree with thermo.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you know about sleep signs? You are probably missing his cues and all the things you are trying are overstimulating him. After about an hour of awake time, settle him and leave him be. If he sleeps he sleeps, if he sits and watches things that's fine too. Stop trying to make him sleep, that's probably keeping him awake. You don't need to try a million and one things and multiple feeding methods. That's a lot of stimulation for a 4 weeker.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

lupa  (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 4 wks (my 2nd) and I learnt from my first bub to watch for sleep cues. This could be clenched fists, yawning, staring into space, grisliness, etc. The thing with new borns is if you don't catch them when they are tired early enough then settling them can very hard.
    Not only that, most newborns don't actually know how to fall asleep on their own so if I was you, watch for tired signs then swaddle with arms out and cuddle, rock, do whatever feels soothing to help bubs go to sleep. As they say, you can't spoil a newborn. Then at around 4- 6 mths, focus on implementing healthy sleep habits without you as a sleep aid. Perhaps a bed toy, comforter or sleeping bag could be used as a sleep cue.
    My bin stays awake for literally 1.5 at the most before he starts to get tired. Another thing is to be consistent with how you settle bubs to sleep. Doing loads of different things to make him sleep can be a really confusing message for bubs. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just know that all babies are different and have different sleeping patterns. A baby that age needs around 16hrs of sleep, of course not all babies need that much but if you're worried you can count how many hours he sleeps and if it is around there then don't worry about it.
    A friend of mine had babies who just didn't sleep much during the day and they would get tired, sleep for an hour and then be up again, happy and content. Her kids are nearly 7 and nearly 3 now and they are happy, healthy, intelligent kids...don't stress.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

lupa  (19-05-2012)