+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    DreamsIntoReality is offline Each day gives hope to fulfilling our dreams!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So sad to hear of all the negative reactions !

As we had been trying for years and had unsuccessful IVF cycles. Our last IVF cycle finished at the start of April last year and we made a choice that we would hold off with a decision until Jan this year (time to clear our head) to IVF again or go on an adoption waiting list. We told our families this also and they supported us.
    At the end of May last year, we found out we were pregnant (naturally), my mum and dad were a bit surprised and so excited. My dad made me laugh and I was embarrassed as he said jokingly "so the glass of wine before bed must have relaxed you"....... DAD!!!! Lol
    My inlaws were very surprised and didn't believe it for a few weeks. I think they were excited, it's hard to tell with them, don't show emotions too much, my MIL is besotted with our lil girl now, my FIL is still hard to read.
    The rest of our family and friends were all very excited as they knew what we had been through to get here.

Using my mobile to access bubhub again ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry swing View Post

i'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your first announcement and their reaction is a bit cute! and congratulations on your 15 week bump!!! getting excited after a loss is so hard, but once you start being able to relax it's awesome!
    Thank you! Luckily I know it wasnt coming from a bad place, they just wanted to protect me and themselves, so it really was outta love! I was just pregnant and hormonal! Now they dont shut up about it!!

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    Jeez, some of you ladies had a really hard time with this! I told my family and DH's family last week (at 12 weeks). My family were great, very excited. SIL *****ed about how she had a right to know earlier, but was ambivalent about the actual news, and MIL has been droning on ever since about how it's understandable that my SIL is upset, since she was left out.

Truly, I'm missing that excited little feeling I had when only me and DH knew. Since when did our pregnancy become the property of my in-laws, and do other family members really have 'rights' in these situations? It's not like my SIL would ever consider babysitting, or helping out in any way once the baby is born, even if I begged her to.

To be honest though, after reading some of these stories I can see just how much I need to build a bridge over this.
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a cold reaction from your sil to your fab news! congratulations!! it's so so exciting!

DH feel the same way, once you announce your pregnancy to family, some of the magic goes a little bit, because unfortunatley everyone seems to think any news after that is public property. I've had a few massive arguments with my mum over who could be told when and what info they could be told, especially after our 20 week scan when there was something found in our bubba's heart. (after so many further scans it's all ok, but it was a huge worry for a long time) My mum is the queen of guilt trips and my DH is a very private person, so in turn caused a few fights with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Thank you for your kind words! DS's name is not unusual or uncommon- in fact it was in the top 50 for 2010 when he was born! But my Nan named her boys Allan, Brian, Roger and Gary. Simple 'manly' names. Haha.
    you're very welcome! haha maybe she just couldn't get her head around the fact that name trends have totally moved on from Gary and Roger! i'm sure ds's name is perfect for him and just as 'manly' as her chosen few!
    - we decided to keep this little one's name a secret until we meet her and make sure she looks like her name. It's killing the grandma that bit me because she is DESPERATE to know, but we don't want anyone saying anything about her name that will put us off it. We love it and that's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Missemzy View Post
    Seeing so many people having bad reactions from family members over birth announcements is really sad.
    It is isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by angewah View Post
    Aww thank you, for you to and great news for this time around

I can't believe some of the reactions you ladies get. People can be truly horrible for you all
    thank you! we are very very excited to meet our little girl, she's already a cheeky little monkey so we're just counting down the days until we can kiss her chubby little cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by boogasmumma2011 View Post
    My parents reply to dd1 was oh that's why you got married then my mother also said what hope has the baby got at life with you two as its parents
    This pregnancy hubby let it slip on the phone and I got a MSG via Facebook from my mother saying its stupid of me and what hope have my babies got. That was a month ago haven't spoken to them since
    I'm sorry your mother said such horrible things to you! i'd be devistated if my mum said anything like that to me. a huge congratulations on your dd1 and your new little upcoming bubba

Quote Originally Posted by nicoletta View Post
    My news was met with a disappointed sigh and then an "okay" both times from my family.
    I've got no idea what xDP's parents said the first time because I wasn't there, and the second time they said nothing.
    awwwww, I have no words other than i'm sorry you were just told 'okay' Congratulations on both your babies!

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    My mum & mil were fairly excited. My sisters were so rude about it. Like "oh, that's nice" then *****ed to mum about how she it will send her broke etc. my brother was like congrats and moved onto to talk about cars (mechanic). My sil then beat him callef me and gave me the happy reaction I was wanting from anyone.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away
    I'm glad you got at least 3 excited people!!! it's so sad when your family don't get as excited as you are, it's such a huge thing, and i know i was actually a little scared even though it was planned and having all the excitement and support was priceless during those first 13 weeks where there is always that what if this one doesn't want to meet us either. congratulations on your pregnancy!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    Pregnant with my first, my boss at the time told me DH should have been happy with headj$bs.
    just that's beyond rude!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsIntoReality View Post
    So sad to hear of all the negative reactions!

As we had been trying for years and had unsuccessful IVF cycles. Our last IVF cycle finished at the start of April last year and we made a choice that we would hold off with a decision until Jan this year (time to clear our head) to IVF again or go on an adoption waiting list. We told our families this also and they supported us.
    At the end of May last year, we found out we were pregnant (naturally), my mum and dad were a bit surprised and so excited. My dad made me laugh and I was embarrassed as he said jokingly "so the glass of wine before bed must have relaxed you"....... DAD!!!! Lol
    My inlaws were very surprised and didn't believe it for a few weeks. I think they were excited, it's hard to tell with them, don't show emotions too much, my MIL is besotted with our lil girl now, my FIL is still hard to read.
    The rest of our family and friends were all very excited as they knew what we had been through to get here.

Using my mobile to access bubhub again ;-)
    Awww congratulations on your DD!!!! - parents sometimes say the strangest things! lol but your dad sounds like a cheeky man that would be lots of fun
    My FIL is very hard to read as a person too, he's been known to pat kids on the head and say 'Hi kid' instead of hugging. I'm hoping he doesn't pat our dd on the head...i'll just start doing it to him if he does it to her

4. The Following User Says Thank You to strawberry swing For This Useful Post:

DreamsIntoReality  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    Thank you! Luckily I know it wasnt coming from a bad place, they just wanted to protect me and themselves, so it really was outta love! I was just pregnant and hormonal! Now they dont shut up about it!!
    Oh i have no doubt is was coming from a place of love and protection. I actually got a bit cranky at my mum when we told her about this one, she was out buying things right away and talking about when the baby is born ect, because she 'just had a feeling this one was going to be born' where as I couldn't get excited until we saw the baby again at the nuchal scan. even then I wasn't totally convinced we'd have a take home bubba until the 20 weeks scan. My dh was so sweet though, i'd asked him if we could get a gender scan done at 17 weeks just to make sure she was still alive in there, and he agreed, even though he didn't think it was needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I told my mum about my pregnancies all she said was ' don't get your hopes up', I suffered a mc before dd and one in between dd and ds.
    I felt upset at her reaction because I was really excited, she loves the kis very much though and once I had my 18 week scan she went out and bought a few things

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My old boss tricked me into telling her. Took me into a meeting room and said 'I know what's going on I've been told' when I said 'well I didn't want to tell everyone since I'm only 6 weeks' she said 'Ha got ya I didn't even know I just knew something was up' then told me how I shouldn't get too excited since it was so early and I would probably miscarriage I was so ****ed off coz she was about 5 months pregnant and when she announced it at 8 weeks I was so supportive and went and got her lots of healthy food and made sure she took lots of breaks. Great way to repay me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my ex and i told his parents his dad refused to talk to him for over a week and his mum rang my parents and told my mum to make me have an abortion. My mum and dad took it a bit better, offering us support with 'what ever we decided to do'. We kept DD and everyone came around in the end. my ex's mum still finds every chance possible to tell me how i made my life so much more difficult because of DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am (was) quite young, and dispite my smile and excitment when breaking the news to people, most of them asked 'had I decided what I was going to do yet' (abort or keep the baby)

It was quite sad really. DH and I had been trying for a long time.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum said "oh well, I guess you're old enough now". Thanks mum, for proving that you think I was going to be a teen mum. And for proving you have a judgement issues with young mums!

Everyone else was pretty much "meh".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    When I told my mum about my pregnancies all she said was ' don't get your hopes up', I suffered a mc before dd and one in between dd and ds.
    I felt upset at her reaction because I was really excited, she loves the kis very much though and once I had my 18 week scan she went out and bought a few things

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub
    i'm sorry to hear about your losses.
    I think what our parents say are sometimes the most hurtful, even though deep down we know that they are just trying to protect us and themselves. I'm glad she got excited by 18 weeks though and went on a little shopping spree!
    My dd has a wardobe FULL of clothes, I think i've bought about 6 items, and she has bought the rest! I have to keep reminding her we don't know how big she'll be at birth and she just says it doesn't matter because there will be a number 2 somewhere along the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    My old boss tricked me into telling her. Took me into a meeting room and said 'I know what's going on I've been told' when I said 'well I didn't want to tell everyone since I'm only 6 weeks' she said 'Ha got ya I didn't even know I just knew something was up' then told me how I shouldn't get too excited since it was so early and I would probably miscarriage I was so ****ed off coz she was about 5 months pregnant and when she announced it at 8 weeks I was so supportive and went and got her lots of healthy food and made sure she took lots of breaks. Great way to repay me!
    what a bit*hy thing for your boss to do! It would have taken all my energy not to slap her! especially after you were so thoughtful and positive to her announcing her pregnancy at 8 weeks!!
    It looks like your bubba was a wonderful ef you to her comment
    congratulations on your DD she looks devine!