+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jeez, some of you ladies had a really hard time with this! I told my family and DH's family last week (at 12 weeks). My family were great, very excited. SIL *****ed about how she had a right to know earlier, but was ambivalent about the actual news, and MIL has been droning on ever since about how it's understandable that my SIL is upset, since she was left out.

Truly, I'm missing that excited little feeling I had when only me and DH knew. Since when did our pregnancy become the property of my in-laws, and do other family members really have 'rights' in these situations? It's not like my SIL would ever consider babysitting, or helping out in any way once the baby is born, even if I begged her to.

To be honest though, after reading some of these stories I can see just how much I need to build a bridge over this.

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    She was born by that stage, but I haven't spoken to my dad since. He hasn't even met her, lucky for DD2
    i'm glad your girls are surrounded by people who love them

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    My nana called me a stupid girl and asked if I was pregnant to 'that idiot you married'. Broke my heart.

Then she told me DS's name was stupid and I would regret it when he hates me for choosing it.
    i'm sorry she hurt you like that. and that she said that about your ds's name! i'm sure it's a lovely name, and suits your Ds perfectly! Congratulations on your little man

Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    One of my old bosses text me and literally called me a f***ing idiot and that I was ruining my life.
    My stepmum was concerned we weren't married but other than that everyone was excited.
    That relationship didn't last and he has nothing to do with them.

Second time around everyone has been very excited, MIL screamed lol.
    I'm sorry to hear that your old boss thought it was appropriate to say such things to you, let alone in a text. Some people really don't get that they shouldn't open their mouths at all.

I'm glad that you got the excitement for your second pregnancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedly Happy View Post
    When I rang my mother to tell her I was pregnant, I was sort-of prepared for a negative reaction. I had been married before, then separated (divorce in the process), and they had never met my new partner, although we had been together for almost a year and friends for double that. I said to my mother "guess what?" and she said "you're pregnant". I laughed and said that I was, actually. She was silent and then asked "how the hell did that happen?". I offered to draw her a picture
    lol I would have said the same thing in response to how did that happen! possibly would have offered to give her 'the talk' too after the initial shock did she get excited??

Quote Originally Posted by StretchmarkBarbie View Post
    When I told my friend about this pregnancy she asked if I wanted a lift to the clinic

Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    I was 16 with ds1 (17 when he was born) and I had no clue until a routine test before having the implanon rod put in. I was at the family gps and my mum and little sister were in the waiting room. I was stunned. Made him do 2 more before I believed it. Then I explained my mum would flip her lid and asked if he could tell her. He did. I swear if we weren't there it would have turned physical! Then right up until I was 20 something weeks she was pushing every single day for an abortion!!!!! Even knowing the baby was a boy (she can't have boys) then after he was born she refused to even hold him for weeks. Not once has she ever had him for more than 30 minutes without me being in the house with her!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub
    i'm sorry you had that reaction, and that your mum still doesn't have much to do with your ds. I bet he is a gorgeous little boy and you absolutley adore him - congratulations on your little man

Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I didn't think it was inappropriate to say in front of others; I'd just been dignosed with a severe illness and was taking medication that caused high rates of very bad birth defects. Everyone in the room knew this and it had already been discussed that if I was to get pregnant accidently, I would terminate rather than risk a child who might suffer for it for the rest of their lives, or not even be born alive at all.

They assumed I'd feel differently if I actually found out I was pregnant, and I didn't. I wasn't going to sneak back later and ask about terminations without letting them know that was still my intention; I was going to have it straight out that I had not changed my mind.
    I can't even imagine how you must have felt in the drs room, If I had been told the same thing with the same risks I would have asked the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy30 View Post
    I had been with my partner for 8 years, I'm a very organized person and like to plan things.
    My family was absolutely over the moon - my sister in law (awful woman who no one likes) asked me if it was planned. Just felt like a kick in the guts.
    boo to your SIL!!! what a cr@p thing to say to anyone... I possibly would have turned around and asked if she woke up that day and planned to be an absolutle cow! has she announced anything that would require the same question back? that would be the first thing out of my mouth if she has! hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    With DS I took a bottle of wine over to my Mum and Dads and told Mum she would have to skip me one tonight' when she asked why I told her! She hugged me immediately, my Dad shook DH's hand and then she let go and said "We are excited right?!".. I think she was in shock (it was planned lol!) and she just wanted to make sure I was ok!

2nd pregnancy I told her whilst she was on the toilet!! Awkward I know! I didnt realise that was what she was doing! I had the pregnancy test in my hand. Unfortunately that pregnancy was an ectopic. So my 3rd pregnancy announcement was very low key, my mum was cautiously excited but seeing as we had only had the ectopic 3 months before and we found out SUPER early I everyone was a little scared for us. It kinda sucked, I wanted the hugs and excitment because I was freaking myself and it would of helped, sucked even more when SIL announced her pregnancy 10 weeks later and got exactly the reaction I had wanted!

I'm 15 weeks now though and my mum & dad are obsessed (again) with bub!
    i'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your first announcement and their reaction is a bit cute! and congratulations on your 15 week bump!!! getting excited after a loss is so hard, but once you start being able to relax it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by nicpic View Post
    My pregnancy was far from planned, but my dp and I have been together a long time, not married though. When we told my family, they all literally jumped out of their chairs and applauded! My grandmother burst in to tears! I was extremely shocked and overwhelmingly happy with their reaction, especially as I knew my grandmother would have liked us to be married first.
    Awwww that's so so so cute!! chair jumping and applause would have been much better than being bitten! lol
    I love it when grandparents suprise you by reacting the opposite as to how you thought they would, it's like a double bonus

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTulips View Post
    Thank you for your kind words My parents were so excited and happy, DF's side, excited but shocked, but so was everyone as it wasn't planned....at all. But, now that she's 10mths, everyone just loves her socks off! ^_^
    you're very welcome
    i'm glad your parents and df's parents were excited, hell, i think I was shocked when I got my bfp and it was planned!!! this pregnancy didn't feel real until i felt her move! Even at the nuchal scan it didn't feel real, even though i could see her sucking her thumb and trying to move away from where the probe was pushing

for your DD!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'm sorry she hurt you like that. and that she said that about your ds's name! i'm sure it's a lovely name, and suits your Ds perfectly! Congratulations on your little man
    Thank you for your kind words! DS's name is not unusual or uncommon- in fact it was in the top 50 for 2010 when he was born! But my Nan named her boys Allan, Brian, Roger and Gary. Simple 'manly' names. Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seeing so many people having bad reactions from family members over birth announcements is really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry swing View Post
    sorry for your loss. I lost my first pregnancy too. I was so scared to tell anyone about this one, but we got a good strong hb at our dating scan at 5w6d so we told immediate family who were all over the moon for us following our loss.
    Aww thank you, for you to and great news for this time around

I can't believe some of the reactions you ladies get. People can be truly horrible for you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents reply to dd1 was oh that's why you got married then my mother also said what hope has the baby got at life with you two as its parents
    This pregnancy hubby let it slip on the phone and I got a MSG via Facebook from my mother saying its stupid of me and what hope have my babies got. That was a month ago haven't spoken to them since

Thanks
    Reviews
    My news was met with a disappointed sigh and then an "okay" both times from my family.
    I've got no idea what xDP's parents said the first time because I wasn't there, and the second time they said nothing.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum & mil were fairly excited. My sisters were so rude about it. Like "oh, that's nice" then *****ed to mum about how she it will send her broke etc. my brother was like congrats and moved onto to talk about cars (mechanic). My sil then beat him callef me and gave me the happy reaction I was wanting from anyone.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pregnant with my first, my boss at the time told me DH should have been happy with headj$bs.