+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Girls, could you please give me some advice

TMI alert in advance, sorry!

I am currently on CD12. I have had 75iu of Puregon days 3-5 and then 100iu Puregon from day 6-12. I had a scan on CD9 and only had follies rangeing in size from 7-12mm. Nurse said to have a re-scan tomorrow and to start Orgalutran yesterday, just in case. I had my Orgalutran shot at 4pm yesterday as she said to do it in the afternoon, but today I have just had a large amount of EWCM and I am worried that the Orgalutran might have been too late or not working. Is it normal to still get EWCM on IVF or should I be worried?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    Synarel or lucrin (for a down reg cycle) can give menopause symptoms, most common being headache.

FSH (GonalF, Puregon, Elonva) stimulates the follicles. So if it works you get symptoms from having large ovaries. Can be an ache in the back, and a sensation of fullness.

As the follies grow they will make oestrogen, so you'll get symptoms from that. Oestrogen is responsible for the EWCM. Copious EWCM in an IVF cycle does not mean you've ovulated, it just means you're growing a lot of follicles (and hopefully eggs too). Oestrogen also grows your endometrium.

The hCG trigger (Ovidrel, Pregnyl) is the same hormone that pregnancy tests look for. It tells your ovaries to keep making progesterone, so you'll get symptoms from that which are the same as pregnancy symptoms. (When you think about it that's obvious because it's the same hormone as for pregnancy.) Progesterone causes sore boobs, increased peeing, slower movement of food through intestines (may lead to constipation), aches and niggles because it relaxes smooth muscle.
    Progesterone (is supposed to) keep AF away if it's above 30. That's its job. I find for me that since progesterone goes so high after a stim (each follicle makes about 40 progesterone at its peak) then if the cycle is a BFN my body is ready for AF as soon as progesterone gets back down to 30-35. Also on a BFN stim cycle, my boobs stop being sore and I get a wave of hormone-induced sadness when progesterone is dropping through about 40. Since the support my FS had me on after EPU adds about 30 to my progesterone, then I usually made it to my blood test before AF (although sometimes only a few hours before).
    Progesterone also changes your endometrium slightly so that it's more comfortable for an embryo.

Antagonist (Orgalutran) can cause itchiness at the injection site for a few minutes.

But, yes, as you indicated, your personal response to the drugs will only be known after you've done it yourself.
    Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

angel382  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much hun, I was having a minor freak out You just saved me the embarrassing paranoid phone call to the IVF nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So in a natural cycle where you're growing 1 egg, it doesn't make enough oestrogen for you to notice EWCM until it's grown big enough to be about ready to ovulate. Which is why in a natural cycle the timing of EWCM correlates with an egg being ready and with ovulation.

But in an IVF cycle where you're trying to grow lots of follies (and eggs), if you've managed to recruit a heap of follies then each one only needs to make a little bit of oestrogen for the total amount to add up to enough to produce EWCM.

It is LH (luteinising hormone) that triggers ovulation. Orgalutran (antagonist drug) stops the LH surge so you won't ovulate, but oestrogen will continue to rise as those follies mature. At the last blood test before you go for egg collection approximately 1000 oestrogens equates to 1 mature egg. (The exact amount of oestrogen per egg varies from person to person, so that number is just a guide for your first cycle.)

Orgalutran is an "gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist".
    Antagonist means it gets in the way and blocks something from working.
    Orgalutran blocks gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH).
    Gonadotropin roughly means gonad growth. So gonadotropins are responsible for things happening to your gonads.
    Gonadotropin-releasing hormone is responsible for letting LH (and other fertility hormones) out of the pituitary. Therefore it causes the LH surge needed for ovulation.
    So if you block GnRH then no LH surge so no ovulation.

While we're on definitions (which for me helps the complicated names make sense):
    Oestrogen generates oestrous.
    Oestrous originally means "gadfly", and from there the meaning wandered to frenzy then to sexual desire and/or being "in heat".
    Last edited by felicita; 14-05-2012 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi angel
    I did the same freak out on my first cycle! My FN said the increased CM was a good sign and what they wanted. Try not to stress. Def ring and ask any qs to your FN or FS nothing is silly x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub