+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Completely intolerant to alcohol and caffeine since having children

Hi all!

Just wondering if I'm the only person going through this.

Before children I was a fairly regular social drinker. I'm a very shy person, and a few drinks gives me the confidence to be myself and enjoy social occassions.

Since having Mikayla, I am completely and utterly intolerant to alcohol. One wine gives me a headache, 2 will give me nausea and a migraine, and 3 will have me spewing my guts up. I've tried a couple of different types of alcohol but all have the same effect in the end. Wine is the worst though.

I know its a silly thing to be upset about, and easy fix is to not drink at all. But I enjoyed the odd drink or two so much that it is quite depressing to not be able to drink at all.

I also seem to have become intolerant to caffeine. I was having daily headaches/migraines/nausea, and 5 days ago I stopped drinking Coke and Coffee (I only had 2 a day generall anyway) and now my headaches are very dull and almost not there at all.

So... have you had this happen to you? What did you do? Did you simply just stop having them or did you try to find a fix? At the moment, I've just quit both, but it is a bit depressing not beign able to sit down with a wine with friends or at dinners etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know if its the same thing as such but after having my two, each time, it took me about 18months (almost 2 years after my second) I couldn't handle alcohol. I would have half a glass and just feel terrible. I would actually feeling like I'd been up the previous night drinking like a fish and suffering a hang over and I'd only had this small amount.

I'd forgotten after a while because I just didn't bother, and it was 18mths/2years later I was back to normal, I could have two drinks and not feel sick. I didn't know what it was, whether my body had to build up a tolerance again or what. But throughout both pregnancies I couldn't drink caffeine or even soft drink, it would make me sick. This pregnancy I can though.

I don't know, I hope someone can help. But its hard isn't it. In the time I couldn't drink my friends had birthdays and weddings and I couldn't join in a toast or anything because I'd pay for big time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you started any new medication?

My DP when on antidepressants for a while and he was exactly the same as you. He'd have three glasses of wine and he would be so drunk he couldn't speak properly.

Since going off the tablets, he is back to his old self again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh Bubs'n'Roses that gives me hope!!! What you've described is EXACTLY me! Maybe I will be ok in a year or so and be able to drink again.

LoveyDovey - no new meds, and I don't even get tipsy let alone drunk, just sick as a dog

Thanks
    Reviews
    My story wont provide much hope sorry OP!!
    My DS is just over 2.5 and I have not been able to drink ever since. Like you, I used to enjoy drinking socially with friends.. Nowadays I try to have a few (maybe just one an hour even) and I will still throw up, get terrible headaches.. Makes me sad cause I want to have a few to 'have a good time' and relax with my friends but it just doesnt happen. This is after at least 3 occasions of having a good crack at getting tipsy/drunk!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went through exactly the same thing but it was mostly with wine. These days I can manage maybe, two glasses before I feel the effects coming on and the usual headache following. You say you've tried it with different types of alcohol - do you mean different types of wine or wine, spirit, beer? I found that some wines, particularly those with preservatives or excessive tannins seemed to affect me the most. I now have a few favourite reds that dont give me too many side effects and I can enjoy them in moderation. But 2 glasses is still my limit and I dont think that will change. If you haven't tried this already, experiment with possibly some organic or preservative free wine and see how you go?

Another thought? Have you ever tried a body detox "diet"? Try a one or two day detox and see whether you have any effects from the coffee/wine after that...
    Last edited by TeenyT; 14-05-2012 at 13:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no I wonder if anyone has been able to find a way to fix the issue. there's got to be a reason our bodies have decided to do this to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes Teeny this is what I'm interested in finding out!!

I've tried a few different wines, beer, and spirits and they all make me sick, although vodka is the best, I can usually have one vodka and be ok afterwards.

I am definitely interested in the wines you have found to be the best for this though, can you give me some examples?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure if you can get this is Brisbane but I drink Oakover Estate Merlot (half a glass to one glass while I'm cooking). It's like, $8.99 a bottle but a reasonable drink for such a cheapie!! Others I have found OK are Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ), Vasse Felix reds (WA) and a Grange Hermitage (SA) but sadly, I cant afford to drink the latter regularly. SO annoyed about not winning that Oz Lotto draw! I haven't tried a good organic or preservative free wine yet though. A friend mentioned that she had and didn't get any after effects so thought it was worth a try.

I give myself one to two completely alcohol/caffeine free days every week and drink a squeeze of lemon juice in hot water on those days for a mini detox. NOt sure if that's the reason but caffeine doesn't bother me much anymore.
    Last edited by TeenyT; 14-05-2012 at 13:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank You!