+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been eating ham that is in sealed packets with used by dates. I do live on ham and cheese toasted sandwiches at work. I think that's fine and from what I can tell so far all good.
    Considering my mum and her generation were never told to avoid these things etc. and honestly I don't see there's any difference statistically between miscarriage/loss in the last 40-50 years. Seems the same.
    Though I do understand the risk so i minimize it by buying the sealed packets and toasting my sandwiches. I've also eaten it in home made pizza. Again it's heated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had it from the cold section in a sealed pack, I only have it hot. I was told not to have it cold or from the deli and only eat leftovers the next day (hot)

didn't know about ham at x mas time and ate it for about 3 days straight at parties, so far all sign show bubs is fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm craving a ham and cheese roll as well.
    As for the ham stored in the seal packs, I was under the impression that it was the same as deli; the slicing machine used to cut the ham can harbour Listeria as well? And the ham in those packets is sliced somewhere.. even in the factory, could it still harbour the bacteria?
    I've only had ham cooked on a pizza so far. I know the risks are low, but I've waited this long.. I can wait another 10 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the thing I struggled with most with both this and my previous pregnancy. Last time I was pretty strict, and only had it if it was heated through, but I have caved lots this time.... ham, salami and even some deli salads.

So far I've been lucky and baby is stil going strong and healthy. Fingers crossed.

I think it's all about risk. Whilst chances of something bad happening might be fairly slim, the effects can be quite sever (like pre-term labour).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys so much for your advice It has helped me feel re assured, and having my little bean move around so much is also re assuring

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll admit that I had ham a few times so far but only in toasties. If it's cooked/reheated to hot it should be ok too.

For the most part, I just try to avoid it because I really don't think it's worth risking my baby for a little bit of ham on the off chance that it might cause listeria. Sometimes it's hard to avoid/too tempting though. In those times I just pray nothing happens but I'm getting a lot better at avoiding certain foods now.

I think for the most part it shouldn't be too much of an issue but like someone else said: the consequences are just too devastating to risk. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I've been eating ham that is in sealed packets with used by dates. I do live on ham and cheese toasted sandwiches at work. I think that's fine and from what I can tell so far all good.
    Considering my mum and her generation were never told to avoid these things etc. and honestly I don't see there's any difference statistically between miscarriage/loss in the last 40-50 years. Seems the same.
    Though I do understand the risk so i minimize it by buying the sealed packets and toasting my sandwiches. I've also eaten it in home made pizza. Again it's heated.
    There are a lot more nasties in and around food in the last 40-50 years so I wouldn't do everything they did back then cos there still could be risks.
    But as long as you know where it came from and you know it's fresh you should be fine, like after maybe 2-3 days of sitting in the fridge I wouldn't eat it cold. But I personally wouldn't eat those sealed packets of ham from the shops cos they would have been cut a long time before consumption and who knows what got sealed in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah good points with how foods have changed. I hear what you're saying for sure.
    With the ham packet thing, my DH used to work for a huge multi national small goods company and he is very aware of the food standards as his job involved to health and safety stuff. He says certain brands are a bit lazy with their standards. He still sticks up for the company he worked for even though they made him redundant!!! A bit off topic but I'm happy to eat the ham from a reputable place. But I haven't eaten it cold at all. Though I would love some deli meat, especially some kabana!!!!! With cheese!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ham in the sealed packages are not immune to the risk of listeria.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only things I didn't eat while pregnant were sushi, soft cheese, alcohol and energy drinks. I personally feel the risk of listeria is extremely low and felt perfectly comfortable eating ham, chicken sandwiches etc. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub