+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ham and pregnant?

Just wanting opinions on this one everyone i have spoken to has said diff things, One doc said no, Midwife said yes, Friends are in between.

I have been craving ham since i fell pregnant, and i have ham all the time , on sandwiches, toasted, untoasted etc. I get it sliced fresh off the bone, because i know you can eat ham on the bone, but they say no deli, Well now i had craved twiggy sticks, Im 17 weeks, and ive had a few. My first pregnancy i didnt know any of this and ate it all the time. This pregnancy i was careful but i cant not have ham.

Just wanting advice on what you girls ate when pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm avoiding ham, but I'm not that into it either. I think the food items are one of those things - unlikely to be an issue, but on the very off chance that it is an issue, it's devastating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure it's ok if it's heated to steaming hot so I've been having it in cooked dishes but not cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I dont eat ham. Sally1981 has it spot on IMO. It is not recommended according to the food authority, ham is actually the worst choice, apparently the ph and dry curing method of salami it's actually a better option risk wise. I will eat any of the, if well heated though so if I want ham or salami I just fry it for a few minutes then eat it, you can let it cool again or eat it hot. Prosciutto sandwiches are very yummy as is bacon. Easy if you're at home I know. At work I just used to get the sandwich bar to pop it on the hot plate for me. You can be safe without missing out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys 99% of the time i have it toasted, its just the odd here and there that its on a salad sandwich, Makes me feel alot better,

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I ate it while pregnant, cold and hot depending on what I felt like having

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah ham in toasty i'll do or on pizza etc, so as long as it's heated really hot!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I eat it from the sealed packs in the cold section. Not as nice as ham of the bone though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What my midwife said which made total sense to me was "avoid anything that you may thank associates with food poisoning or hasn't been kept well cooled".
    With Ham to me that means, no deli counter, no sandwich shops where it could have been out for hours or they have those open backed display cases. No precooked pizza thats been kept warm for hours.

So Yes to Ham from the butcher or kept in sealed packs so it can't be contaminated.

Been eating it the whole way through, baby currently kicking up a storm and totally healthy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraJ For This Useful Post:

Fluffbum  (18-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is something I have wondered too. I have been craving ham cheese and tomato rolls for weeks now. I was told by the doctor no cold/deli meats so have not had any ham since I fell pregnant. That being said I have had it on fresh cooked pizza, simply because it is just so hard to find things to eat sometimes when I need something quick or am out.

Someone told me that it is ok if it's in those sealed packets from the cold section of the supermarket. Wondering if anyone else has been told this?