+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What exercise are you doing?

Sorry for the long post! I'm getting very frustrated about the exercise issue. I'm 13 weeks and I'm just getting nothing from either my OB or my GP. Here's a sample of conversations:

Me: So I want to stay fit and healthy while I'm pregnant. What can I do and what can't I do? I usually do aerobics but not sure about that?
    GP: Anything is fine, just don't get overheated.
    Me: What does that mean? No sweat?
    GP: If you overheat you'll have a miscarriage, just be careful.

Me: What type of exercise can I do? I want to stay reasonably fit and healthy.
    OB: Whatever you were doing before is fine ... actually, what were you doing before?
    Me: Two Step and two Attack classes per week. I'm into cardio.
    OB: Well you can't do that. You're a bit obsessive aren't you?
    Me: Um, no, maybe? I won't do those classes if you tell me not to, but what can I do?
    OB: Here, read this pamphlet.

Pamphlet talks about light yoga. Yoga gives me a migraine. If that's really all I can do, then I'll just deal with it and walk. It's just that cardio was my stress relief and I do want to stay fit. I just feel like because I'm not overweight, no one is taking this request for information seriously! Hence, I've nothing for months.

Anyone had any luck getting a firm response from medicos about this? I was actually expecting to get some kind of temperature/heartrate guide, although that may have been too much to expect...

Thanks
    Reviews
    On my days off work I go for a nice walk (my job is pretty physical so I rest up for it on work days). It makes me loosen up and I don't feel so stiff and sore, but I also don't overheat. If it were summer I'd still be swimming a lot, since that is also low impact.

It sucks that your doctors aren't giving you definite guidelines to follow, but I would think that some low impact cardio would be fine as long as you have lots of water to keep hydrated and take a break if you start to overheat (feels like a hot flash). Hopefully someone else a bit more into fitness sees this post and can give you a bit better advice

Good luck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm...I was doing Zumba. Not sure if thats a good idea now. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Keep on doing what you were doing before getting pregnant. I think limited ab work and not allowing your heart rate over a certain amount (can't remember exact) is ok.

I was going to the gym regularly up to 35 weeks with my daughter and walking the dog until 36 weeks.

I'm pregnant again now and have kept up my same regime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sally1981,

I had the same!!! They don't tell you much at all. I hit the internet looking also, and there are very mixed reviews. I do a lot of running, and was very concerned and cut it out until I found out more info, but when I finally was able to get some advice out of the midwife, it was the "you can continue doing what you have been doing". If you're not a runner, they don't recommend you start up running or anything like that that you have never been doing.

I have been a gym goer for approx 13years, so it would be hard for me to stop all activity if that was the case. I once had a pregnant combat instructor teaching classes well into her third trimester. But she just had to avoid all ab workouts and talk us through it. I spoke to another gym instructor last week, and she told me some of the other trainers have been training/instructing classes up to approx 35 weeks (one even in a bounce class) which is high intensity. They just say to not over heat, so, you can still work out, but probably not at the intensity that you used to. Drink lots of water, and even try to have a little food in your stomach (I do morning work outs, and I find I need something).

This morning on Sunrise the debate came up over exercising/running and pregnancy - You may find this is helpful - they say the same "keep doing what you have been doing".
    http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video...slams-critics/

I'm 16wks pregnant and work out 4-5days a week, I am still doing my running, just not 5-10km runs I used to do and just a lower intensity, between jogging-running. I added in some more elliptical and bike to give me some more variety especially for later on when I may find running too hard. I still do all my arm weights, and have been doing Pilates reformer for approx 1.5yrs. Some people say your heart rate should not go over 140. If you have a monitor great, but if you are using machines that can show you, even better. There is however mixed reviews about this theory also, some say 160.

I hope some of this helps you out. I know how hard it was for myself to find out also. Try and speak with some of your fully qualified gym instructors also, they maybe able to offer some further assistance.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told exercise is fine as long as I don't get my heart rate above 140 ish. However this is for someone in their 30s; if ur younger u can allow for a higher heart rate.

I'm 26 weeks and go to the gym for about 50mins. I do a little cardio on the cross trainer and then some weights but I don't push myself too hard. I would personally avoid anything too high impact as ur putting ur joints at risk with all the relaxin ur producing.

Just keep it sensible and don't do anything ur not comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread!! Thanks for the info, we just found out we are pregnant (4 weeks and 3 days) and I go to the gym 3 days a week and run my dogs the other days! I wanna keep it up, as I really enjoy it and I don't want to put on alot of weight through the pregnancy! Would circuit classes and cycle classes be okay??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cycle classes are relatively low impact, but u would need to ensure that u keep ur fluids up and dont overheat. Be prepared for the fact that u may have to tone things down a bit, but this doesn't mean stopping. Circuit would be the same. Just be sensible - if ur struggling to get ur breath back then ur probably going too hard.

If ur enjoying it keep it up - exercise is great for u during pregnancy! I keep getting told I'm mad though :/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

Snowflake77  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You guys are so much more helpful than my doctors! I'm 30 so 140 BPM should be fine for me and that feels comfortable, so it makes sense. This is going to be hard getting back into it! I actually sprained my ankle one month before I found out I was pregnant, so I was out of action for a while even before that.

I think I'll start with the standing bike and see how I go.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im 10 weeks tomorrow, and have been doing 2x zumba classes a week and another 2 gym visits a week for cardio.

I have a heart rate monitor which is super handy for keeping my heart rate under control.

My gp said im fine to continue doing it all until i get too uncomfortable or if i feel crampy or whatever.

So far so good. Just keep hydrated!