+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping with a pillow!

When did you know your baby/child was ready for a pillow??? Did you go by your baby or an age?? My daughter is 9 months and has been waking up constantly in the night. Last night she slept with a firmish flat pillow and slept 6.5hrs straight....this is in comparison to every 45mins the night before. She has the instinct to turn her face to the side when she rolls over on to her tummy when on her mattress. And I've watched her sleep on the pillow a couple of times when we've been at friends houses etc. and she's so much better. But I also don't want to risk her safety. ETA: She doesn't even roll on to her tummy with her pillow because she's so comfy!

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a bit unsure about a pillow so I put a towel folded twice under the sheet where his head is, this way its flat and can't move (unlike a pillow) and it gives a bit more cushioning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is against SIDS guidelines but....

With DD she had a headcold at about 8 months and was in a portacot (we were travelling) so I couldn't prop from under the mattress so put in a full-sized pillow. She lay on it from armpits up. She'd always been a good sleeper and with the cold she could sleep again once the pillow was in. When I tried to take it away she wasn't sleeping as well so I then got a cot sized pillow and she continued to sleep with that from then on. She'd already been sleeping with a doll-size cuddly toy and a snuggle blanket and was a very mobile baby who could lift her head from birth. I still woke and checked on her about 8 times a night the first few nights she used a pillow though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I know what you mean ladies! Thanks for your advice!

My daughter was the same lifting her head from birth and holding it up from 3 weeks. So my instincts are telling me that she is more than capable. The towel is a great idea, they are firm and flat, but still comfy for her. She has a bit of a sniffly nose at the moment so that's probably helping her sleep being a bit propped up. It might have just been a fluke and just a coincidence that it was the night we tried her pillow. So we'll try again tonight and see if it helps again