+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fundal height

Anyone else had fundal height issues? At 24w I was measuring 27cm and at 28w I was measuring 31cm. I'm sitting on the 90th percentile. The baby was the right size at my 10, 12 and 20wk ultrasounds. So I'm worried it's extra fluid - or the baby has grown massively and I'm going to end up with a whopper! The midwife said that she would send me for a morphology ultrasound if I'm still measuring large at my 32wk appointment.

Anyone else had similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah, I've had similar (but opposite), with both my pregnancies. Fundal height is not reliable at all, so I wouldn't be too concerned at all.
    Last edited by Guest1234; 13-05-2012 at 18:29.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep with all three pregnancies!! Scared me ecerytime, first bub was 8lb 8oz, second was 8lb 14oz and this bub isn't here yet but I had a growth scan two weeks ago at 30 weeks as I was measuring ahead and bub was only on the 75th percentile no extra fluid either. I had this scan because at 29 weeks I was measuring 35. So I wouldn't worry hun

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think fundal height measuring is a load of rubbish.
    The middies scared me to death when they said I hadn't grown in 4 weeks. They made me go have monitoring for 4 weeks and a growth scan.
    Turns out DD was just curled up, cause at 4 weeks to go, the growth scan said she was already 7lb! She was born at 9lb 5oz.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RubySunrise For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySunrise View Post
    I think fundal height measuring is a load of rubbish.
    The middies scared me to death when they said I hadn't grown in 4 weeks. They made me go have monitoring for 4 weeks and a growth scan.
    Turns out DD was just curled up, cause at 4 weeks to go, the growth scan said she was already 7lb! She was born at 9lb 5oz.
    That scares me! At 4 weeks to go this bub was measuring 8lbs. Eek! I've another scan tomorrow, 2 weeks to go now. My fh has always been spot on.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also think it's a load of hooey. I had 2 midwives get 10cm difference at one visit everyone kept on saying he was measuring to dates, well he was born on the 99th percentile for height and weight.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a growth scan after fh as behind at 35 weeks (2.5 weeks ago now) bub measuring 3.5kgs approx... Well DD was born on Friday @ 37w3d... Weighing 2.6kgs...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

CheekyChicken  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess there is no real indication. I just think that it can potentially warn you about having excess fluid but not sure whether that is a massive issue or not. I am a very small build. Im only 5'2" so I don't think my uterus has anywhere to spread but up. I guess I'll just see how big bubs ends up being.

Interesting about the variation between midwives. I had 3 different ones measure, all with the tape faced downwards and they were all within 1cm of each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB stopped measuring me when at 36 weeks I measured 41cm :what:. He said 'you're big enough, measuring is futile'. Hahahaha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    at my last appointment at 28 weeks + 5 days, the student midwife measured the fundal height at 37 cm, then the midwife measured 34cm. They then did a scan and the baby measured 27 weeks 0 days. The midwife then gave me a referral for a proper scan and in the notes she wrote "measuring large for dates". LOL. They assumed I had GD (which I dont) and the baby was big (thus big fundal height), rather than believing the scan that she did in the office...

Note I am 6ft tall and over weight, so of course my fundal height would be bigger than normal, I have a layer of fat that they have to measure around, and there is more room to grow because I'm taller! I cant believe they still use fundal height to measure when its not accurate AT ALL!