+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes I was going to add that putting your iPhone onto wireless hotspot is great when you've got both an iPad and an iPhone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    iPads and tablets are great for Internet browsing, storing and watching movies, storing music, photos, documents etc., playing games, and reading books.

Basically the iPad can do everything your iPhone can do - aside from make calls. Obviously the size of the screen is what sets it apart from a phone, and the portability factor and battery life are what sets it aside from a laptop.

All iPads and tablets (to my knowledge) are wifi enabled, which means you are able to connect to wireless broadband connections (like at home, Maccas (while feeding your child a ... dare I say it?), airports etc.). If you need to access the Internet while out and about, you should get a 3G/4G enabled one, which allows you to connect to the mobile telephone network using a sim card - the same way you do with a phone.

In terms of comparison between the iPad and other tablets on the market, the main difference is in the operating system.

iPads run off the iOS, which is the Apple operating system. The iOS is a closed source platform, which allows Apple to keep a close eye on every application created for their products, and thus allows them to maintain quality control. What that means for users is that every single thing you use your iPad for, has to go through iTunes.

Pro: due to the 'tight ship' that Apple runs, you are highly, highly unlikely to ever get a virus on your iPad. Also, you are buying into the most popular product range on the market, meaning that you are more likely to be able to integrate apps with friends and family who also own Apple products.

Con: it can become tiresome to import everything you want to store on your iPad via iTunes. Some people feel limited by the 'closedness' of the app market - there is no cmpetition, and therefore no competitive pricing. Also, you can't watch flash files on them, which hasn't been a massive issue for me, but I understand it can be an issue for others.

Most other tablets on the market are running on an Android platform (either Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich), which are open source. With an open source OS you are effectively buying yourself more flexibility. Because there is no need to 'control' what you store on your Android tablet, many of them come with USB and SD card ports, allowing the transfer of files to be much simpler. Also, a 16GB Android tablet with an SD card port has the capability to become a 48GB tablet by simply inserting a 32GB memory card - a luxury the iPad doesn't offer.

Pro: open source equals more competition in the market, which means more choice in apps and more competitive pricing of the tablet itself. Built in USB ports give you more flexibility in how you transfer and use files, as well as giving you the potential to increase the storage capacity of the unit (handy for a long car trip where you might want to store several movies for the kids to watch). Polaris, the app for creating and editing documents in the Microsoft office formats, is easily superior to Numbers and Pages (Apple's solution to the MS Office suite).

Con: open source means that anyone can create apps - even bad guys. This leaves you open to viruses in the same way as a PC does. If you get an Android tablet, I'd highly recommend purchasing tablet security. Norton makes one that is similar to Internet security for a PC.

Hope this helps!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love my ipad. Kids play with mine and it is awesome for development / entertainment / games - but i also believe that cheaper ones like the Kogan which was only $129 on sale 8 inch - nothing flash but great for kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Love my iPad!! Planned our entire wedding using my iPad. Keeps kids amused on long drives or when we need 15 minutes peace. I honestly can't imagine my life with out it now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use my iPad to read, do emails, play games, facebook, get directions, use kindle, Skype etc etc. my kids do spelling, maths, geography, create movies,

I LOVE LOVE my iPad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    anyone had experience with the cheaper non apple ones? and these dongles... how you put the data usage on them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a cheapie Android tablet ($200) and was SO disappointed.
    Couldn't run 90% of apps properly, movies I played on it glitches and just cut out, and the inbuilt reader was a joke. Just trying to navigate to the settings to turn on wifi or add a micro sd card was more laborious than washing windows.
    DP surprised me with my iPad a month later and never looked back.
    And if you're concerned bout storage, I have a 32gb, and have 12 movies and 74? Episodes of various tv shows plus heaps of apps and have only just hit 21fb
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm just concerned parting with that much for a small child... and I have an Ipod shuffle and while I love it, the whole itunes thing annoys me.

I'm looking for something that doesn't cost the earth but goes OK

and sorry rose I've kinda hijacked your thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    anyone had experience with the cheaper non apple ones? and these dongles... how you put the data usage on them?

As for dongles, you can get a wifi hot spot for Ithings and android tablets or a USB dongle for laptops and androids. They both require a sim card, a mobile phone contract or prepaid mobile phone 3g and they access the interwebby thing via 3G

If you get a wif enabled only. iPad you can create a hotspot on a smart phone and share the interwebby usage, but it does chew up battery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm just concerned parting with that much for a small child... and I have an Ipod shuffle and while I love it, the whole itunes thing annoys me.

I'm looking for something that doesn't cost the earth but goes OK

and sorry rose I've kinda hijacked your thread
    Might be worth researching the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 tab. It retails for around $250.

It runs off Ice Cream Sandwich, which is the most up to date Android operating system on the market. At 7", it is slightly smaller than the 10.1" iPad, but not too small IMO.

It comes with 8GB of inbuilt memory, but also has a micro SD slot which allows you to increase that by 32GB.

In terms of reliability and user friendliness, Samsung is second only to Apple in the current market.

I personally would stay away from unknown brands - if you stick with a well known one you can at least be assured that they have their reputation to uphold, so even if the product isn't up to standard, at least there will be some accountability.

HTH.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

delirium  (12-05-2012)