+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will definitely check out YouTube - and your photo album, Fiveinthebed - if you don't mind sending the link?

Okay, so I might be very slow here, but...if you're still chopping stuff, and adding it at different stages, then is the only difference that you don't have to stir?

I appreciate people may like making additive free foods from scratch, but I'm not too worried about doing that at the moment.

Thanks for all the answers and examples so far - much appreciated. And sorry for the million questions!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing = D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For an afternoon tea recently I made the following all from scratch in the TMX in the space of 2 hours:

Focaccia with herbs and salt on top;
    Basil pesto dip;
    Capsicum and sundried tomato dip;
    Zucchini slice;
    Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing.
    (the slice, focaccia and cupcakes all had to be baked in the oven but all other steps done in the TMX)

Once everyone arrived I made jugs of cappacinos and jugs of lemonade for everyone to drink.

I could never do all that in a couple of hours without the Thermomix. And I couldn't make focaccia or lemonade at all without it, and would be very unlikely to do the dips (although those could be done just the same in a food processor, but I don't have one).

One of our favourite dinners at the moment is TMX bangers and mash. It makes the gravy, cooks the potatoes, sausages and veggies all at the same time without you anywhere near it. It is soooo yummy - because the potatoes and vegies are cooked right above the gravy they have the yummiest flavour. Same with chicken & cashews - it makes the sauce, cooks the rice, chicken and vegetables all at once without you having to do anything except chuck it in and turn it on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Okay, so I might be very slow here, but...if you're still chopping stuff, and adding it at different stages, then is the only difference that you don't have to stir?
    Not really, coz you don't have to dice, grate or slice anything, just quarter them. Heaps quicker and easier. Plus I don't peel things like carrots anymore either, no need to really.
    And yeah, I guess you can say that the biggest difference would be that you don't need to stir, you can walk away and the machine literally does it for you. It also depends on the recipe and what you are making.
    Cooking just literally is easier to master, more time friendly and convenient.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    For an afternoon tea recently I made the following all from scratch in the TMX in the space of 2 hours:

Focaccia with herbs and salt on top;
    Basil pesto dip;
    Capsicum and sundried tomato dip;
    Zucchini slice;
    Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing.
    (the slice, focaccia and cupcakes all had to be baked in the oven but all other steps done in the TMX)

Once everyone arrived I made jugs of cappacinos and jugs of lemonade for everyone to drink.

I could never do all that in a couple of hours without the Thermomix. And I couldn't make focaccia or lemonade at all without it, and would be very unlikely to do the dips (although those could be done just the same in a food processor, but I don't have one).

One of our favourite dinners at the moment is TMX bangers and mash. It makes the gravy, cooks the potatoes, sausages and veggies all at the same time without you anywhere near it. It is soooo yummy - because the potatoes and vegies are cooked right above the gravy they have the yummiest flavour. Same with chicken & cashews - it makes the sauce, cooks the rice, chicken and vegetables all at once without you having to do anything except chuck it in and turn it on.
    Wow. I am VERY impressed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh man I wish I could afford to get one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Okay, I'm back with more questions!

For those who have one, do you now do all your cooking in it, or do you still cook things in the oven/ on the hobs?

How hard is it to figure out? It sounds complicated with the different heat settings/ attachments/ time settings.

I don't normally use recipe books to cook, so I end up throwing my own stuff in to the pan. Can you do that with the Thermomix, or do you have to use recipe books - or have mastered the temperatures and settings?

Erm... I'm sure I had more questions...

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For those who have one, do you now do all your cooking in it, or do you still cook things in the oven/ on the hobs? I use my thermomix whenever possible, so I fry my meat in a frying pan, bake things in the oven (cakes, biscuits, bread) because you can't do those things in a thermy.

How hard is it to figure out? It sounds complicated with the different heat settings/ attachments/ time settings. It's pretty easy, unlike the Bellini or thermochef it remembers what your temp and time is, you don't have to remove the jug to weigh anything, the only attachment is the butterfly and you only use that for whipping or risotto, you don't have to use it to prevent the thermy from chopping up things as it has the reverse function. I do recommend having a varoma demo, I am yet to have one so I don't use it as much as I could, trying to organize one but I keep getting sidetracked.

I don't normally use recipe books to cook, so I end up throwing my own stuff in to the pan. Can you do that with the Thermomix, or do you have to use recipe books - or have mastered the temperatures and settings? I am a chucker-in-er once you have the basics down pat (how long things take to chop, sauté, cook (most meals take 20min once you have done the initial prep) you can just wing it, thermy does have weight limits on chopping things for example you can only chop 150g (or is it 200g?) of Parmesan cheese at a time, you can only crush one tray of ice at a time (crushing one tray then add another, you don't need to remove the first lot). All of this is written in the shortcut magnet you stick on your fridge and in the beginning of the everyday cookbook you get with the machine, as you can see I still use it as a reference most meals I cook regularly I have stored in my head just like you do when your making things in a pot. There are rules ie you cook 500g (or less) of dried pasta in 1200g water or it wont cook properly or it will overflow. Min 500g water for every 15 of steaming..it only took me a few weeks to learn the basics- sautéing, chopping that sort of stuff one of the benefits of having a consultant is you can call them to ask them questions if your unsure but the basics are covered in the book/shortcut reference magnet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've been watching videos, I think it's called 'cooking with janie'. She's great. Makes it look so easy.

I'm dying for a thermomix so I can use it on weeknights. But I just can't justify the expense...mostly to DP lol. He's the one who'd end up paying for it so I guess I shouldn't complain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (14-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I didn't comment much on the functions, basically you have your temp up one side which starts at 0 and goes up to varoma (114oC). temp won't work without a time entered, this is to prevent burning and I have never come across a recipe that takes longer than 40 min without having to do something else ie stew and you'll add some peas or something for another few min.

You have the timer buttons goes up in 30sec increments until 10 min then in 1 min increments until 60 min. You press the - button to get to 1 min quickly then the + until you reach the time you want, or the + if you want less than 1 min (I usually don't bother as thermy will just count up for you ie if you want to chop garlic for 5 seconds you would just turn the speed up and turn it off when it reaches 5 seconds.

The turbo button is very much like a turbo button on a blender but it goes 4000rmp so I use it for pulsing!

Interval button is for pastry or bread, it does 5 rotations one way and 5 the other, a kneading function.

Reverse button makes the blades turn the other way so it won't chop as it mixes.

Scales button, weighs in 5g increments until 100g? And then in 10g increments?..something like that I think it's until 100g. Maximum weight is 2000g.

And that's it

I now it sounds complicated but it's not really. You just have to remember TTS time temperature and speed when cooking and don't forget that reverse function

15. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (14-05-2012)