+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Thermomix - what's different about it from normal cooking??

I love gadgets, so I kinda want one... DH needs some convincing, and I guess I probably do too.

We both love cooking, but I never ever make things like my own sugar, flour, yoghurt, ground spices. And I have no desire to start doing that.

I know I can make bread in it, which would be handy.

I have a Kitchenaid, so would continue to use that for cakes rather than the Thermomix.

So... I'm wondering what I would use the Thermomix for? Whenever I see people write about it, it's always "I grind my own caster sugar" or "I make my own yoghurt".

Can anyone please describe to me what it would do differently for a dish they would normally cook?

So... if I would normally make a spaghetti bolognese by chopping everything up, cooking it in a big saucepan, and then boiling spaghetti and serving up. What would it do differently?

Or if I make macaroni by making a basic white sauce, then adding cheese/ mustard/ nutmeg (that's how I do my cheese sauce), then boiling macaroni and combining the 2. What would the Thermomix do differently?

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For curries I use my own curry paste that I made in the Thermomix, as well as the actual curry itself. I can walk away from the curry while it's bubbling away.

Spag Bol, it makes it really easy to make the sauce. I can walk away from it and it's tastes so much better! Plus it's easy to hide veggies in the sauce

Macaroni, well you would make the sauce in it, which saves time where you wouldn't be standing by the stove stirring etc. I haven't yet made a white/cheese sauce in it yet though.

Some recipes you cook the sauce AND the pasta at the same time, like tonight I'm making a pasta dish where you add the pasta into the sauce and it all cooks together while I walk away and do something else.

I boil my eggs in it, SO MUCH EASIER and boiling eggs isnt that hard usually lol. But usually my eggs would break and I'd have to scrub the pot, not anymore

I can go on and on, but pretty much it makes life easier, cooking is quicker and less fuss, and it's all real food and real ingredients with real taste.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Risottos are really easy too, and usually that's something I'd never contemplate cooking. Custards too.

One night DF was like I feel like ice cream with hot fudge sauce and nuts on top, like from a restaurant. I made the hot fudge sauce in minutes and with no fuss. Much better than store bought.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for this thread, I am another who can't quite understand how life would be any different. I make most of my own sauces anyway (not that sauces play an enormous part in my cooking) and can't really figure out what the fuss is about. I have a KitchenAid, food processor and slow cooker, and am unconvinced that I need anything else.

What about roasts, stir fries, lasagne, cakes?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    What about roasts, stir fries, lasagne, cakes?
    Lasagne - you can make the pasta dough (of you wish to make your own), as well as the meat sauce and white sauce, put it together and into the oven.
    Cakes - you can make the batter, pour into the baking tin and then into the oven. Then make the icing. Easier coz you don't have to use measuring cups and scales etc.

Don't think you can roast (but you can steam and ive seen a few recipes for corned beef, and one for a roast chicken too) and I'm pretty sure you can stir fry but I haven't tried it yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well there you go, a friend just posted a fb status saying she did a roast in her Thermomix.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    Cakes - you can make the batter, pour into the baking tin and then into the oven. Then make the icing. Easier coz you don't have to use measuring cups and scales etc.
    Thank you! But hang on... how come you don't need measuring cups? I get that it has scales built in, but measuring cups???

I'm still not clear about how it's different from making a sauce in a saucepan? So, with bolognese - I just make all the sauce in one big saucepan. Is the difference just that you don't have to stir?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know when you want to make a cake but only have butter in the fridge and it needs to be room temp to be creamed.

You can pop it in the thermomix for 20 seconds with sugar and it's creamed .... Then put it in your kitchenaid to make the batch

White sauce is made 'hands free'

I guess with the spag Bol it is just a different way to do it.

Hands free risotto.

I like it can make fail proof bread rolls and pizza dough. - I can have bread rolls for dinner with less than an hour notice.

It minces meat - you may not use this option - but i use it a lot - and the blades are a lot easier to clean than the kitchenaid mincer

It makes a really good steamed corned silverside.

I think if you want to change up your usual menu it allows you to do recipes you probably would never have done beforehand.
    Last edited by kel87; 12-05-2012 at 17:50.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Thank you! But hang on... how come you don't need measuring cups? I get that it has scales built in, but measuring cups???

I'm still not clear about how it's different from making a sauce in a saucepan? So, with bolognese - I just make all the sauce in one big saucepan. Is the difference just that you don't have to stir?
    Yeah, the scales replace measuring cups, so 1 cup of flour weighs 150grams etc, but the recipes are all in grams so you don't have to convert.

To make say a bolognese I would put an onion in the bowl, the garlic cloves, bacon, carrot, celery and any other vegetables I want to use and chop it all up in the bowl (no crying over onions anymore!) then I add the oil and set it all to cook down a bit. Then add the mince and brown that, then add my tomato purée and paste and any herbs and then let it all cook/simmer for about 20-30 mins.

So much easier than having to cut everything up, stand at the stove while you cook everything etc etc, hardly any dishes (the Thermomix bowl and one knife).
    Last edited by Guest1234; 12-05-2012 at 17:53.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-05-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

Everything is done in grams, you do need measuring spoons though

I guess it gives you the ability to set it up and walk away without fear of things sticking or burning, perfect sauces (custards ect every time). I can make puréed soup using the one appliance -no pot then having to use a stick blender to purée it or waiting for it to cool down to do it in the blender. Non stick porridge every morning! Hot chocolate in the evening...

I have been told (no idea how true it is) that the aromas you get in your house from slow cookers or from pots mean nutrition lost, much like how steaming veg is better than boiling them.

Sorry I have to go but I'll be back later