+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to work soon after birth

Hi Hubbers

This could be a long post! I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with our 1st bub. I am still working fulltime & I love, love, love my job! My husband has his own construction business & it's not going great guns - the town where we live is going through a downfall in the construction industry & it is tough @ times for all in the industry. There is a position available in my company that I would love to get. It could be a flexible one as I know the lady in that department worked from home when she had her kids. Obviously it all comes down to negotiation with the company when & if I apply and/or get offered the position, but I really want to give it a shot! I asked the HR manager yesterday if the position had been filled (as applications were meant to close @ the end of last month) & she said no & were open to accept more applicants.

I can't stop thinking about it & I feel terribly guilty about it consuming my thoughts more than my baby! Are there any other ladies out there who have been in the same position? Can you have a career & be a mum @ the same time? What was your experience with your job & raising a child?

I have an awesome support team. My husband has said he doesn't mind being Mr Mum - but has the common feeling of ''being slack & not being able to provide for his wife & child'' but like I said to him, this is actually something that I really want to go for & haven't been pressured into doing! And my Mum is going to be there for me when help is needed when it comes to looking after bub. She is so excited and is already booking dates in!

Any stories that are similar & you would love to share would be awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't been in this situation myself but a friend worked while her DP was a SAHD with dd1 because she loved her career and it was better for them financially. He loved it and tried to convince her to let him do it again with dd2. He did everything, when she got home she had the joy of spending time with bub and doing all the fun stuff. She didn't have to lift a finger around the house. The only thing she said she missed was being a mum, which is why she was adamant with dd2 to be a SAHM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I intended to take 12 months off when I had DS - then a job I had wanted for YEARS came up at my work. If I got it, I would have had to go back to work when DS was 5 months old.

In the end I applied for it, got it and went back to work early. I don't regret it. I would have regretted going back to my old job which I didn't love. My new boss is awesome and very flexible, letting me work from home when DS is sick etc. And I'll admit the extra $20k a year that came with the job was a deciding factor as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it I went back after 5 months with the first, this time I'm having more time off. But if my job was a career and I made More than hubby I would of gone back and he take the time off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your partner is supportive then go for it. My DH is the main carer and it has worked out great.

Sent from my X10a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely 5 months isn't considered "soon after birth"??

When were you thinking OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there just adding in my 2 cents. I just recently went back to work when DD was 5 months old. A number of factors contributed to the decision: I earn about 3 x what DH does, I enjoy my job, my contract runs out in June and I wanted to be remembered for other positions, and to be honest I was going a bit crazy at home. Don't get me wrong I loved being SAHM while it lasted but I also love those days in the office when its just about me. Oh and the joys of being able to drink a hot cup of coffee down to the last drop!!

And the best thing about it is I enjoy my time at home a lot more with DD, I really look forward to coming home at night and doing the whole "dinner bath story bed" routine whereas when I was home all day I used to dread 'arsenic hour'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back when my girls were both 5 months and they stayed home with DH.
    First time it was planned, second time it wasnt.

I loved being at work and he loved being home with the girls so it worked out perfect for us.

I would say go for it. If it doesnt work out you can always swap back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you can have a career and be a mum - noone would even question it if your partner were in your position.
    If you love your work and you want to do it, go for it! It could also be a great opportunity for your husband.

If you change your mind later on, you can always take a different approach, but don't let anyone else's perception push you into something you'll regret.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by schmara View Post
    Hi Hubbers

This could be a long post! I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with our 1st bub. I am still working fulltime & I love, love, love my job! My husband has his own construction business & it's not going great guns - the town where we live is going through a downfall in the construction industry & it is tough @ times for all in the industry. There is a position available in my company that I would love to get. It could be a flexible one as I know the lady in that department worked from home when she had her kids. Obviously it all comes down to negotiation with the company when & if I apply and/or get offered the position, but I really want to give it a shot! I asked the HR manager yesterday if the position had been filled (as applications were meant to close @ the end of last month) & she said no & were open to accept more applicants.

I can't stop thinking about it & I feel terribly guilty about it consuming my thoughts more than my baby! Are there any other ladies out there who have been in the same position? Can you have a career & be a mum @ the same time? What was your experience with your job & raising a child?

I have an awesome support team. My husband has said he doesn't mind being Mr Mum - but has the common feeling of ''being slack & not being able to provide for his wife & child'' but like I said to him, this is actually something that I really want to go for & haven't been pressured into doing! And my Mum is going to be there for me when help is needed when it comes to looking after bub. She is so excited and is already booking dates in!

Any stories that are similar & you would love to share would be awesome
    Hi. I also love my job and had full intentions of returning to it after having ds1. I would have likes to have had 12 mths off though but due to my Dh having had a work accident and not being able to return to work I had no choice but to return to work full time when ds1 was 4mths old. Dh was on workers comp but his payments had run out by this stage. So Dh was a sahd for the time being which was also difficult as he had limited mobility so a friend had ds for a few hours a day to help out. Me returning to work turned out just fine. I was worried that I wouldn't bond with ds and did feel guilty like I should be at home because I'm the mother but this soon passed. Eventually dh got a payout for his injury and was able to return to part time work to start with then full time work but by this stage I was very happy in my routine of working and being a mum and continued to work full time and ds went to daycare. I truelly believe that ds being at daycare has been so good for him in many ways and has made him appreciate us all the more when he isn't with us 24/7. I have just returned to work after having 12mths parental and long service leave after having ds2 and although enjoyed my time at home wi the kids I was very happy and ready to return to work. I need that mental stimulation, love being a mum but love my job too besides the fact that my extra wage means we can live more comfortably. I don't need to work but I like contributing financially. Working has made me a better more patient mother too I feel.