+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Quit or not?

And if not, what??? We are at day 8 toilet training our 21mo son. Not sure if we should persevere or give up and try again in a few months. In the 8 days we've "caught" one poo and less than half a dozen wee's. We are cleaning the carpet A LOT!
    We started as he showed all the "ready signs". He's improved in that he tells us as he is going, or one second before, as opposed to after or not at all, but it's still not early enough to get him onto the potty. We are using a sticker chart and an m&m reward. He's wearing undies or "waterproof" training pants. The potty is never more than a couple of metres away. He has no consistency in how regularly he goes. It can literally be every 5-10 minutes or over three hours. That's the trickiest thing. Makes it hard to anticipate when to put him in the potty. What should we do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump.
    Anyone?
    We think we are going to pull the plug tomorrow. Not sure how to explain to bub. Don't want him to feel he's failed. Thinking of going with the "that was a good practise run" angle...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no real advice sorry, but my DS is the same age, and he often tells me 'poo poo' or 'wee wee' and points to his nappy, which made me feel it was worth trying TT. I quickly discovered he just wasnt ready, so let it go. 21 months us still pretty young.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you want to keep trying, then I would put him on the potty every half hour or so rather than waiting for him to tell you he needs to go.

As a PP said, 21 months is still young so maybe give him a break for a little and see how he goes in a couple of months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Give it a break for a bit...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he is keen to keep trying, and understands the process, then I would keep going. I agree with pp- pop him on the toilet every 15 minutes or so and tell him to try and go- 9 times out of 10 something will come out! Poos training might take a little longer than wees- it did for my DSSs. I skipped potty altogether and trained on the actual toilet from the start- might be worth a try??? Good luck