+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi yes the low supply is from DS sucking for most of the feed and not swallowing and me failing to recognise this. This is why I am feeding 2 hourly and pumping in between & doing compressions.

The LC says my attachment and position are correct.

Unfortunately DS did not gain anymore weight. I would prefer to not have him weighed daily but need to get it sorted as I hate to think DS is going hungry..

However we are still having wet nappies and he is settling better.

My LC suggested tomorrow if DS doesnt gain any further weight to give a bottle of mixed formula/breast milk of an evening and keep trying to boost my supply.

So confused..I really want to persevere with BF but not to the detriment of DS and him being hungry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never got my milk in naturally as I had to have a planned Cesarian, so I can advise a few things.
    First they started me on Motilium to get my milk going. That was great...... for a few weeks..... then my supply dropped

I was told by the CHN to use "breastfeeding tea". The brand was Weleda.
    He said it would definitely boost my supply. So I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist and I both looked at the active ingredients and found it was the Fenugreek that helped with boosting lactation.
    Instead of buying an incredible expensive and horrible tasting tea, I just got a jar of Fenugreek capsules. They worked fantastic! All 100% natural too.

Also, as another PP mentioned as well, porridge. Oatmeal to be exact. I ate oatmeal every morning for a year and I don't think I'll ever touch it again, but it did help really well

So without going the chemical way and getting a script for Motilium, Fenugreek capsules and oatmeal were THE best options that helped me boost my supply. I only have small breasts and DS was way off the charts with weight and height since 3 months. So yes, I needed all the boosting I could get. He really really was a piggy!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I suggest if you have to supplement your son's feeds you use a syringe or a cup/spoon? That way he doesnt get confused between how to suck on a boob vs a bottle. It will not help him back to the breast.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DS is already having breast milk in a bottle, fingers crossed there is no nipple confusion.

What are signs that my supply is increasing?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nipple confusion isn't that common at all. DS had no issue swapping between EBM out of a bottle and my boob. Most mums of who I know have breastfed and/or are breastfeeding, have had no issues with nipple confusions.

The only sign I would know is if he's content after a feed and wont want more after an hour orso.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012),SugarplumMummy  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get coconut water from the cld section at woolies but it's not the nicest. Your better off buying a fresh Thai coconut or buying from one of the brands from a healthfood shop, make sure it's 100% water not a 'made up juice'

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (17-05-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a difference between small capacity and low supply. If your breasts have small capacity you will always need to feed frequently. Do you feel engorged ever? Small capacity boobs feel engorged and uncomfortably full even with small volumes.

Goats rue is beneficial, you can but it online. I reckon it's more effective than fenugreek. Motillium will only increase supply by about 10% but for some women that's enough.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012),SugarplumMummy  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yes my breasts do get engorged so I figure I will need to express for sometime? With a smaller storage capacity does this mean I wont be able to express and refrigerate/freeze much breast milk at all?

For thos of you that took fenugreek and motillium - did you find this changed your babies bowel movement or gave them wind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another question - whats the normal amount I should be getting when I express? (I am wondering if I am going to have to pump forever with not much milk to show for it)