+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stupid Government!

Gahh! The government is stupid and has left me without choices. I cant find an independent midwife where I live and I dont even think that my area has a birthing center. The idea of going to hospital makes me want to cry. Everyone around me is pushing me to go have a doctors visit "because you are 13 weeks now and u should have had a scan last week." Because I dont have a midwife its hard to argue my case and reasoning to anyone. It's like "well you tried it your way and it didnt work, just give up and do it the normal way now." I cant really talk about it with my partner since the whole concept of homebirth brings a look of terror to his face. He says he will support me with it if I can get a midwife. This is the first time in this whole thing that I have actually been stressed about it. I know my baby is ok, I know I am ok, why cant people just trust my intuition the way I do?
    Stupid Government for making it hard for Homebirthers!!

Vent over!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Good luck in your search.

I had first contact with my independant midwife 12 hours before my DD7 was born (seven days overdue) so it is never too late. After her birth, I remember thinking, this is the way birth is supposed to be.

The only thing I didn't like was that the IM had to stay for four hours after the birth (as mandated by the law).

PS: DD7 is 3yo, so this was before the laws changed to make it more difficult.

-----------

If I were in your shoes, I would consider (towards the end of your pregnancy) travelling to somewhere where an IM (or duala) is available if none can be found in your area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lots of hugs to you! Totally agree that it's not right you cant find a midwife in your area for the home birth you and your baby have every right to! I noticed you post code says you are on the souk coast. Have you tried finding a midwife in Wollongong that might be willing to travel?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it possible to go to a clinic for a check up and then continue on your search for a midwife

Thanks
    Reviews
    The closest I have been able to find is newcastle, sydney or brissy. Thats too far to travel. Am seriously considering moving in with my sister for the last few weeks to access the syd ones as she lives in matiland.

Its entirely possible, I am just worried that it will increase the pressure from everyone for me to go to hospital, plus having the doctors trying to talk me out of it as well. I wont waver but I just dont want to have to spend my entire pregnancy defending myself and my decisions.
    Last edited by Tildy; 11-05-2012 at 20:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really feel for you you should feel pushed into anything. This should be the most special time for you. So sorry that you are stressing out about this. Below is a link to a few IM's that practice in the Illawarra/south coast. Maybe you could call a few of them and they could help you out.

http://www.birthchoices.info/IMIllawarra.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    * shouldn't feel pushed. Sorry stupid
    iPhone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have lucked on one midwife that is within travelling distance and will be talking to her this weekend so fingers crossed it all goes well and my other half is happy with her. Also got zero chance of doing hypnobirthing or calmbirthing classes in this area but that's ok, Ill get some books and cds for tips and find my own feet. Just hope this midwife works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are you tildy? There was one in goulburn in a few years ago.. She may still be there?

As for check ups etc.. I dont even bother making contact with the healthcare system until about 15-16 weeks... Just so i can get the morph scan at 19-20wks. If anything is wrong with your babe before then, then the only options are continue or abort, so i dont see the point of early tests... Best just to let your body work and enjoy the pregnancy i say

Also, im nearly 34weeks and only just met my homebirth middy today, so never too late to find one! Ive just been going to hospy appointments as per 'normal' up until now, no dramas

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My thoughts exactly on the check ups. I said just that to my other half the night before last when he was bugging me. Either I can choose to abort, or my body will misscarry or I can keep going with it, so what is the point in bothering. They cant fix anything anyway.

I just want the later scans to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong. Obviously if there is something wrong with the baby I'll have to rethink my choice of birth venue and scans are great for that.

I am in the Coffs Harbour area. So options are very limited.