+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend does for the 3 yr old as she has a bub and her hands are sometimes full. Mainly around roads or busy places.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. We don't use one. I can see why some parents would use them though. But we do not. DS1 is very good at holding onto pram if we are out and he wants to walk. DS2 isn't walking yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one attached to the side of my pram. It's like a coil surfboard rope type thing that is a wrist strap. I mainly use it as a threat when my eldest is suffering selective hearing.

I don't really like the backpack ones (a bit too walking the dog like for me) but don't mind the wrist strap as I think that is a very effective way of teaching them to walk next to you or the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wish more people would use them. I used one for Dd as she was a runner.

I nearly ran a child over only a few weeks ago in a car park. After the mother finally calmed down her first understandable words were "This is the first time he's ever run away..."

I was only doing walking pace in the car and I am well aware to watch out for kids, when a 3yo suddenly bolted out from between two cars - I reckon I missed him by a whisker - the ONLY reason I didn't hit him was my reaction time. Head Ibsen going any faster, or hadn't be actively looking out for kids etc I would have hit him.

If the walking a dog comment wasn't so offensive I'd find it funny that we leash dogs to keep them safe but don't accord the same resect for our children. We put kids in a cot with side bars to keep them safe and we don't call it a cage, we use a harness in a high chair to keep them safe and we don't call it a leash, we use a harness in a child car seat and don't refer to it as chaining up a child. A CHILD'S walking harness is a piece of safety equipment, designed for CHILDREN, it does not go around their neck and is NOT at all like walking a dog at all.
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 11-05-2012 at 18:22. Reason: Spelling

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (12-05-2012),Bellaxo  (14-05-2012),betherina  (11-05-2012),ChocMilk  (11-05-2012),mad house mumma  (14-05-2012),Pawzette  (13-05-2012),Phony  (12-05-2012),Sariele  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012),threechooks  (13-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    If the walking a dog comment wasn't so offensive I'd find it funny that we leased dogs to keep them safe but don't accord the same resect for our children. We put kids in a cot with side bars to keep them safe and we don't call it a cage, we use a harness in a high chair to keep them safe and we don't call it a leash, we use a harness in a child car seat and don't refer to it as chaining up a chil. A CHILD'S walking harness is a piece of safety equipment, designed for CHILDREN, it does not go around their neck and is NOT at all like walking a dog at all.
    Ok bad choice of words, I meant walking a dog in the context of having them walk in front of you while you held onto the attachment, rather than the wrist straps where they are more aimed at have the LO walking side by side.

I apologise for my poorly expressed comment causing offence.
    Last edited by 2Bboys; 11-05-2012 at 18:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    Ok bad choice of words, I meant walking a dog in the context of having them walk in front of you while you held onto the attachment, rather than the wrist straps where they are more aimed at have the LO walking side by side.

I apologise for you my poorly expressed comment causing offence.

That's quite okay - its a common theme for a thread (like the petrol station one) and someone eventually comes in and says its just like walking a dog etc etc.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one but I've never really felt the need to use it. MIL has one that she uses all the time as she also looks after her very elderly mother who gets very distressed if ypu leave her side suddenly, so MIL can't be chasing after a toddler all the time.

If i had 2 under 2 I would use one, definitely. I find it hard enough being vigilant with one, who is very good at walking with me, stopping at roads, etc.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope and every time I see someone using one I automatically think 'walking your child..' they remind me of a dog leash

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't even quite have my bub yet but this thread reminded me of that hideous murder of Jamie Bulger, and his mum said that she wished she had used one.

I know you can't raise your kids in fear like that but it stayed with me, and I was only a kid myself at the time when it happened.

I have to admit I don't like the look of them when I see people using them though, but understand why some parents do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have one but I'm very fortunate that DD isn't a runner. If she was, or if DS turns out to be a runner I would have no hesitation in using one