+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids sharing a bedroom - pro's & con's

I have a 5yo DS that still doesn't sleep through the night and wakes up at 6am, and a 2yo DD that sleeps through the night but is waking anywhere from 5.30am.

We went on holidays last month and they shared a room together and not once did the 5yo wake up and they both slept till 7am. I appreciate it may be that they were exhausted from all the swimming etc we did on holidays and that it may have just been a novelty but it's got me thinking about them sharing at home.

DH is against it, I think it's worth a shot.

Do you have any experiences you could share with me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My girls share a room and have been since they were 3 1/2 and nearly 2. It took a bit of adjusting at first, just getting them to go to sleep at bed time and not sit up and talk but that's it. It's so great that we have plans to put our DS in with them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Con: my kidstake their time going to sleep... and wake each other up way to early!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks. While we were away we staggered their bedtime by half an hour so that the little one was asleep by the time the big one went in. But I take your point about waking early, that could make things worse LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The reason our 2 1/2 year old isn't in with his sisters yet is because he often wakes first and is too little to understand that he can't go and wake his sisters. As it stands, if he isn't in our bed by morning he goes and wakes them up so we're just waiting until he understands properly that he needs to be quiet when he wakes up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well for us it is working - my 2.5yr DD and 5yr DS have been sharing since the start of the year and I haven't had this much sleep since DS was born. All about to end when #3 arrives soon but will enjoy it while it lasts!

We live in a 4 bedroom house so they could still have their own room after baby arrives but this way can keep our study/computer/sewing room.

We moved DD into DS's room the very night we got back from camping over New Years. They had slept so well in shared tent accomodation that it seemed like a good time and no harm in trying. They were both so excited and thought it was the best surprise ever when we told them and DS helped move all DD's things. This was also DD's move from cot to bed and we had no problems.

Nine times out of ten, if one wakes during the night the other sleeps through it but this happens much less often than it did when they were in seperate rooms. And yes, sometimes one wakes up early and gets the other up but if one's up I guess we may as well all be up. Funniest is when it's DS who wakes first and then wakes up his brave little sister because it's still a bit too dark for him to come to our room on his own. More often than not though we actually have to wake them now to be ready for school. I think they find it comforting knowing they aren't alone in the room and settle back to sleep much easier between their sleep cycles. There will come a point when I'm sure they won't want to share any more but for now I think it's a nice thing for them to experience.

I do also find bedtime works best if we put DD to bed first so that she is already asleep by DS's bedtime (for us this meant getting rid of her arvo nap or else she wasn't tired enough yet). 30mins later we then quietly do DS's bedtime routine and all is good. If DD is up late and they go to bed together falling asleep takes MUCH longer but they do get there eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, our boys share a room when we go on hols, and they share a room at home, but lately, DS2 has been waking at 5am and he lies there singing and wakes up DS1, who suffers if he doesn't get the extra sleep. So, DS2 has been relegated to the spare room for now so he can lie there singing in peace until the rest of us wake up. They do love sharing though and I hope to return DS2 to his rightful place soon!