+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Nope but it would certainly make me question their common sense if they took it up as an adult!!!
    Perhaps they were an ex-smoker who considered themselves a non-smoker at the time. But then in a time of stress they relapsed and returned to smoking.

My mother gave up smoking many times during my childhood. She would go for a couple of years as a non-smoker and then relapse again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The fact that the chemicals remain on the clothing, breath, hair, hands if not washed, and young children need so much close contact makes me wonder why childcare workers are allowed to smoke before or during work hours, including unpaid lunch breaks. Of course you wouldn't hire anyone who drinks before or during work times in those industries, same goes for smoking. Breathing in the chemicals can increase the risk of SIDS, who wants their baby to be at higher risk because of the habits of carers? In fields such as aged care, disability support, childcare, health care workers, and other such jobs I fully support it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just wanted to add that I am a smoker and I have never taken random smoke breaks the only break I have is my 45 min lunch break on which i will have a smoke across the road, also I rarely get sick and have time off work. So those points aren't true for every smoker and it's not really fair to assume that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One of the news stations said one such ad was for a graphic designer.

One of the building companies I work for no long use one particular drafts person because all the plans would come in reeking of cigarette smoke. I pulled one set of plans out on Wednesday from storage. They not only reeked, but they details we needed was partially obscured by nicotine stains from his hands.

I also know that where my mum used to be a fruit n vegie picker they wouldn't hire smokers as these people were picking tomatoes and there's a particular disease that affects both the tobacco family and the tomato family.

I think there is a definite case for some (many) professions to be able to say they won't hire smokers. No matter how much you wash hands, could you image a butcher handling your raw meat? Would you like to be handed a dress by some with cigarette chemicals on their hands?

I do know how hard it is for some people to give up smoking, and I do understand that cigarette smoking is legal but there is a huge awareness now how poisonous cigarettes are and many people do intensely dislike the smell and the third hand poison.

I know that at the dental clinic where I worked the dentists, the technicians and nurses were not allowed to wear strong perfume. I couldn't even begin to image having a dentist or optometrist or other health professional who gets into your personal airspace being a smoker.

Regardless of how much tax a smoker pays, the health bill from health complications directly and indirectly related to cigarettes outweighs the taxes that are paid.

I think we will see more and more of this type of pre-requestite of employment and I think the only thing left for many smokers who want to get new employment to do is to give up or lie.
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 11-05-2012 at 21:09. Reason: Spelling

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i would not hire a smoking nanny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The amount of nurses smoking outside the hospital always gets me, it seems almost like a contradiction, caring for patients dying in horrific ways as a result of smoking, then taking their break and going out to do similar damage to their own bodies. If anyone would know better, surely it'd be them?

I worked in a workplace where I was the only non-smoker in a team of 10, the team took 6 breaks that were supposedly 5 minute breaks and when I took my morning and afternoon 15 minute breaks they would whinge and say I didn't need one because I didn't smoke... because that's the whole purpose of any break right?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

brooke88(mum2b09)  (11-05-2012),tormyxxx  (11-05-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melimum View Post
    I just wanted to add that I am a smoker and I have never taken random smoke breaks the only break I have is my 45 min lunch break on which i will have a smoke across the road, also I rarely get sick and have time off work. So those points aren't true for every smoker and it's not really fair to assume that.
    You'd still stink though. It is also fair to assume that your health will decline as the years progress if you keep smoking. I wouldn't want to sit next to you at work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't realise until after I quit smoking how much it actually lingers.

At my work, the toilets are about 50m from outside where people smoke. I can smell someone who's just been outside for a cigarette and gone straight into the toilet.

The smell also travels very far.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I can see why some would say it. Some smokers require many breaks a day to have their fix. That's time where they're not working. Others come back and absolutely STINK of smoke. They may apply deodorant or use mints... but they still stink.

I think in some industries - especially where people are working in close proximity to others - it makes sense that you wouldn't want someone smelling of cigarette smoke to work for you. I've been given a facial by a few smokers, and it's freaking gross. God only knows how terrible it would be to be a little child being bottle-fed by a smoker in a childcare centre or similar.

That said... there are smokers who manage to avoid stinking of it and if they had never told me they smoked, I would never have known as there is no evidence of it in the way they behave (no constant smoke breaks) or the way they smell.

I agree it's discrimination though... but I'm not sure I necessarily think it's a terrible, horrible thing. I am also completely anti-smoking though, so obviously that tarnishes things for me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (11-05-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It may be discriminatory, but according to anti discrimination legislation, you can discriminate on this basis if you want and it is not unlawful. Discrimination laws cover much less than most people think, mainly race, gender and things like that. Being a smoker is a case of too bad, so sad.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (11-05-2012)