+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What if somebody is a non-smoker at the time of applying and takes up smoking at a later date?

Sackable offence?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember dropping my daughter off at prep (two schools ago) and at that school parents were requested to stay for the first half hour doing morning activities (books, puzzles, blocks, etc) with their children.

So I would be leaving with my toddler half an hour after school started, and every day, I saw the lady that worked as the school cleaner standing about 4m from the school gate, smoking.

I remember feeling no ill-will towards that woman, but wondering what example it was setting for the children. The children admired this woman and looked up to her. She only smoked when they were supposed to be in class, so was doing her best to conceal her addiction from them. It was only those arriving late, going home sick, and younger siblings, that would see her smoking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What if somebody is a non-smoker at the time of applying and takes up smoking at a later date?

Sackable offence?
    Benji, I run a small business. Don't you think as a small business I have a right to have employees in my home that don't potentially cause health problems for other workers (I am pregnant and my employee brings her baby to work), for customers (who are all pregnant) and who might put off customers?

I would be saddened if anyone I knew took up smoking, I would be disappointed if an employee started smoking. I would die if a customer got exposed to smoker's breath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Sackable offence?
    Nope but it would certainly make me question their common sense if they took it up as an adult!!!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (11-05-2012),squirrelex  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Benji, I run a small business. Don't you think as a small business I have a right to have employees in my home that don't potentially cause health problems for other workers (I am pregnant and my employee brings her baby to work), for customers (who are all pregnant) and who might put off customers?

I would be saddened if anyone I knew took up smoking, I would be disappointed if an employee started smoking. I would die if a customer got exposed to smoker's breath.
    Yes if they were bringing something like asbestos into the workplace! I don't think a smoker being in the vicinity would harm your or your employee's baby, so long as the smoker isn't holding either baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's evidence that it does cause harm Benji - the chemical residue on clothes and hair produces carcinogenic chemicals.

It's called thirdhand smoking and it has been proven that living in a house with a smoker - even a smoker who never smokes anywhere near that house - increases the incidence of SIDS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That link you provided earlier was talking about third-hand smoke on things like furniture, inside cars, a piece of paper that had been exposed to smoke (as in, a person smoking inside and the chemicals getting ON the furniture/upholstery directly from the cigarette smoke).

The chemicals would be on an employee's clothes, but as long as the baby isn't touched by that person, he's not exposed to third-hand smoke.

Walking past someone who has smoked isn't third-hand smoking I wouldn't imagine or we'd all be in a panic everytime we left the house in case the person who serves us at Coles is a smoker.

Hire who you like. I'm glad I'm not a smoker TBH lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Benji - the link I provided earlier was the result of one minute evidence. There was a massive study released recently showing the results of exposure to smoke residue on babies. There's no doubt at all that exposure to third hand smoke is a health hazard.

And yes, we probably *should* be in a flap about walking past smokers in supermarkets. I hope you aren't seriously making an argument that just because the public doesn't know about something then it doesnt exist?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know child care educators are frowned upon for smoking now because of third-hand smoke from their clothing and how they are in close contact with children all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Nope but it would certainly make me question their common sense if they took it up as an adult!!!
    Amen