+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not a smoker, never have been and I do think it smells, but I've got plenty of friends who smoke and I was shocked to discover they're smokers because they don't have that smell to them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylent View Post
    The problem I'm having is: where does it stop? Are employers going to be able to refuse you because of your weight? Family history of illness? How many doctors appointments you had the previous year? Current health issues?
    DF got knocked back from a job because he didn't pass their psychological test he also had to pass various other tests first, too - drug tests, medical tests, physical tests, educational tests, to name a few. I think that proves right there that a lot of jobs hold a lot of requirements that could be deemed as discrimination, really.

I think it's a good incentive to have people quit smoking. DF isnt allowed to smoke at his work, not even before or after or on breaks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with both Fiveinthebed and Chewthemintie (as usual).

Employers are not under any obligation to hire somebody. If you have a number of applications for a job (which is usually the case) then you can select the most suitable candidate based on any number of factors.

I would not hire someone who had good experience but I thought would be a bad personality fit for the office. Is that discrimination? Sure. But not all discrimination is bad, and the interview/ hiring process is all about discriminating the desirable from the undesirable.

There are traits that we are not legally allowed to discriminate on but, apart from that, we can choose using a wide variety of factors. People often bandy around the phrase "but that's discriminating", without addressing further as to whether it is legally discriminating, and whether it is okay discriminating.

If I only take someone with particular qualifications then I am discriminating against those who don't have them. Part of my job (if I am hiring someone) is to discriminate between what will make someone good for the company, and what won't. Those factors will include skills and experience, but then a myriad of less tangible things will come in to play when deciding what sort of 'fit' the person will be for our culture and values.

As it stands, we don't exclude someone from our hiring process if they are a smoker. However, I understand and support the reasons behind why another company may choose to do so.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Cleigh  (11-05-2012),Jensha  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's next? Do you want to know my sexual preference also?

Discrimination absolutely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I agree with both Fiveinthebed and Chewthemintie (as usual).

Employers are not under any obligation to hire somebody. If you have a number of applications for a job (which is usually the case) then you can select the most suitable candidate based on any number of factors.

I would not hire someone who had good experience but I thought would be a bad personality fit for the office. Is that discrimination? Sure. But not all discrimination is bad, and the interview/ hiring process is all about discriminating the desirable from the undesirable.

There are traits that we are not legally allowed to discriminate on but, apart from that, we can choose using a wide variety of factors. People often bandy around the phrase "but that's discriminating", without addressing further as to whether it is legally discriminating, and whether it is okay discriminating.

If I only take someone with particular qualifications then I am discriminating against those who don't have them. Part of my job (if I am hiring someone) is to discriminate between what will make someone good for the company, and what won't. Those factors will include skills and experience, but then a myriad of less tangible things will come in to play when deciding what sort of 'fit' the person will be for our culture and values.

As it stands, we don't exclude someone from our hiring process if they are a smoker. However, I understand and support the reasons behind why another company may choose to do so.
    I agree with all of this! People seem to think that all discrimination is illegal when it's not. Only discrimination on protected grounds is unlawful.

I hire people too and of course you have to make decisions based on tangible and intangible factors, but not of course protected ones.

A person reeking of smoke would put me off.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Guest654  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would think an employer employs on the basis of which is the best applicant who can fulfill your job criteria?

I'd be interested to see proof that having someone's breath near you for a few seconds once a day causes health issues. There a huge space in between that, and smoking inside around your kids for 18 years. I don't see how it could impact on health other than asthma, and I suspect you would have to be near them alot (although I'm expecting others to disagree ).

The issue it appears, is the smell. Ask them to take a toothbrush to work, use mints. Expect that they do no smoke in non allocated breaks. All of the above is fair. But to not hire someone solely bc they smoke - well it appears this is the last bastion of accepted discrimination in Australia

When I've worked I've been a productive employee. So if I hate the smell of Joop or are put off by hairy legs or pant suits it's clear if I become a boss they are struck off the list who cares if they're great workers, that Joop gives me a headache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I think they should be able to discriminate against smoking effecting the workplace, I dont believe they should be allowed to ask if a candidate smokes on their own time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely discriminated against smokers, I never asked, but the obvious ones were almost always not hired unless they were exceptional.

My mum has a landscaping company and won't hire smokers, she says because they're outdoors the staff think they can smoke, it's a bad image for her company and the client comes home to see staff having yet another smoke break on their time. She's forbidden it before and asked that they leave during their allocated breaks to smoke, but she hasn't had a smoker yet who abided by this rule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Delirirum, heres something I found just in one second of looking:

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...029_074347.htm

(Bloomberg) — Tobacco smoke contamination lingering on furniture, clothes and other surfaces, dubbed thirdhand smoke, may react with indoor air chemicals to form potential cancer-causing substances, a study found.

Gooogle 'thirdhand smoking dangers' or similar.

Also - a recent study found that smoking is implicated in 80% of SIDS deaths. The stuff is lethal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting to see so much passive discrimination going on in the workforce already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast