+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd also like to point out, I advertised a job 2 weeks ago and got over 150 replies.

I assume that's pretty standard.

So if I have out of that 150 say 15 candidates that are all good, of course it's going to come down to things like who smokes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pulled my son out of a preschool due to one of the staff being a smoker...

so I understand to some point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mother smokes a lot, and at work. She has to do mammograms so she is very up close and personal with the ladies. She thinks chewing on a mint after is enough I think it's disgraceful! I couldn't think of anything worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem I'm having is: where does it stop? Are employers going to be able to refuse you because of your weight? Family history of illness? How many doctors appointments you had the previous year? Current health issues? These things all can impact on their health, and yet it would be definite discrimination to not hire someone because they had asthma, diabetes, a poor immune system etc. All I want is someone who does what they are paid for, and if I knew companies who discriminated against people for petty things, I would (and do) boycott them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Psylent For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    they are all pretty different.

Smoking affects other people. The smell makes me sick and affects asthma.

It creates mess and smokers need a place to go to smoke, that does not annoy others.
    They take breaks all the time and some smokers seem to see a "smoko" as a right.

They get sick, colds last longer and they take more sick days....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have 150 people applying for a job, and only one job to offer, obviously you make the choice based on loads of things.

Employers don't have an obligation to provide poeple with a job :/

We're going to an Expo next week and there's no way i want staff breathing smoke on customers' faces.

In this day and age, I think people would really find it offputting to be served by someone who stank of smoke.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am actually quite glad I saw this thread, because these days I just assume nobody smokes.... it will now be something I check!

I really would prefer it if someone representing my business didn't smell of smoke, surely that's fair enough?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think you'd be surprised CTM at how many people smoke but don't have a smell to them at all. Perhaps you'll hire a smoker and shall be none the wiser

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylent View Post
    The problem I'm having is: where does it stop? Are employers going to be able to refuse you because of your weight?
    umm...hello fashion industry.

People already DO hire based on some things

If you are colour blind - I don't think you can be an electrician - is that true?

It's the fact that these employers are trying to save time by advertising...I know when I was a manager in retail and hiring - the interview process was very long and stressful.
    I would not hire someone who sat there mangin' on gum and wearing so much perfume that I had to go and take an anti histamine... IF they seemed to be teh absolute BESTEST person in teh whole wide world for the job, I'd probably talk to them and mention changing their habits would secure the position for them..but reality is - there is usually someone else that fits the bill.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Guest654  (11-05-2012),share a book  (11-05-2012),squirrelex  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Benji I think many smokers would be surprised at how much it really does stink and put poeple off. When someone has just had a cigarette, it *always* stinks.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast