+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked at a law firm who preferred a non-smoker and I was at the time so I pretty much gave it up during work hours. I also worked at a place that has designated smoking areas.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I think it is fair to say no smoking allowed during work hours, especially if you are a child care worker, but I don't think it's fair to not allow a smoker to apply.
    Even if you have a smoke in your lunch break, you still stink. The smells is awful and dangerous to the health of others.
    I've worked with smokers who never smoked at work and it was never an issue, I've worked with smokers who would go and take smoke breaks every 1-2 hrs and it is a total pita to work with.
    If I was hiring I'd hire a non smoker, even if they had slightly less qualifications/experience...I'd rather spend time training someone than be stuck in an office with someone who smelt like cigarette smoke.
    I agree. I don't think that smokers should not be employed but I think a rule of no smoking during work is a good idea. Just like no drinking while your working. And yes I know drinking is just a bit different considering you get drunk from alcohol and not smokes but the smell and second hand smoke shouldn't be past
    on to your co-workers, customers, clients etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd be more inclined to not hire a bunch of whingers, Elijahs Mum

For child care workers, possibly teachers I get that employers would prefer non-smokers. I'm glad that my son's teacher smokes WAY off the school premesis because DS knows that smoking is really bad for your health and kids do sometimes worry about people they respect being sick from smoking.

For just an everyday office/retail job that doesn't involve children nore health, no, sorry I don't get it

What's the difference between hiring someone who takes breaks to have a cigarette to someone who takes breaks to make a coffee or go to the toilet?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The difference is you don't stiink all day when you express, take a break for the loo, or whatever.

(unless you have gastro i guess..)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    lol chew the mintie.

some of my collegues eat tuna here and it makes me gag. smells so bad. I think I might place a 'no tuna' sign on my office door!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (11-05-2012),Moglet  (11-05-2012),mumof3monkeys  (11-05-2012),sweetseven  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The difference is that most smokers are still having all those breaks too...well any smoker I ever worked with did and to my knowledge smoking doesn't entail the removal of your bladder and bowel so you still need to go to the toilet
    I used to work in a hair salon and one girl smoked and every time she finished a client she'd leave her mess for someone else to clean up and go out the back and smoke.
    Plus you stink. That's the biggest one for me. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke, it's disgusting. The smell of stale smoke makes my stomach churn...I do not want to have to smell you all day. I wouldn't hire someone who walked in to an interview smelling like a stale cigarette and I wouldn't hire someone who walked in to an interview with terrible BO.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Guest1234  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, what about people who use a certain perfume, too much cologne, have BO, eat stinky lunches in the office, etc? Yes, smokers may smell like smoke but I think if a person does their job there is no reason to complain. I've worked with smokers and non-smokers, and TBH a lot of the non-smokers were lazy, whereas the smokers would go for a 5 min smoke break (with permission) and then work twice as hard for the entire day as the non-smokers did, to make up for it. The smokers where I worked also stayed in their jobs longer, though that could be coincidence of course. They were also generally senior workers, in better positions and well respected. Judging people on one aspect of their life is definitely discrimination. No smoking on premises, fine. No smoking or no job? Too far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is how I feel too. To me it's like smelling burning plastic or bleach or just something that makes your stomach clench and you know in your bones it's bad for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day, I'm not going to employ someone I think stinks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Areca  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If someone I employed bathed themself in perfume/cologne I would ask them to not wear it. Even walking through the perfume section of Myer gives me a headache but that's pretty easy to stop and doesn't make them more susceptible to common illneses that could cause them to have time off work.

Look I understand why people are upset/angry about this but as an anti smoking non smoker I understand why employers are doing this. I've worked with people who had BO and the managers had to pull them up on their standard of hygeine so they didn't smell. It's easy for someone to shower before work and wear some deodrant, it's not so easy for someone to beat an addiction.