+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Given it's an addiction, I don't think people should be precluded from making a living due to being a smoker.

I think it's reasonable for certain industries to put restrictions in place on smoking if it affects their work, eg childcare.

Personally I hate smoke and smoking, but discriminating against smokers is one step too far.

It seems to be decreasing in the workplace though. I work in law, and apparently in the 70s and 80s people would smoke at their desk. Now, in my office of about 15 people, nobody, to my knowledge smokes during work hours. Not sure about socially though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is fair to say no smoking allowed during work hours, especially if you are a child care worker, but I don't think it's fair to not allow a smoker to apply.
    Even if you have a smoke in your lunch break, you still stink. The smells is awful and dangerous to the health of others.
    I've worked with smokers who never smoked at work and it was never an issue, I've worked with smokers who would go and take smoke breaks every 1-2 hrs and it is a total pita to work with.
    If I was hiring I'd hire a non smoker, even if they had slightly less qualifications/experience...I'd rather spend time training someone than be stuck in an office with someone who smelt like cigarette smoke.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (11-05-2012),Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Jensha  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As others have said, it is discrimination but understandable in certain practices and occupations. It's a bit rich to actually blatantly say it in an advertisement. I would have thought it would be less controversial to simply make the job undesirable for a smoker (i.e. we don't have any facilities where workers can legally smoke)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also agree that not smoking on premise doesnt necessarily mean it doesn't impact on others. I am a bad asthmatic and am constantly affected by second hand smoke... It does linger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is fair enough for an employer to state they don't want to hire a smoker. Smokers are usually in poorer health than non-smokers, and a company should not have to pay sick leave for someone who has constant bronchitis etc due to their poor health choices. I used to work as a nanny, pretty much every nanny job states non-smoker only.. people don't seem to mind that. I don't think co-workers should be subjected to the stench of stale smoke.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Mod-Zeddie  (11-05-2012),MrJones&Me  (11-05-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The hospital I was working at was "no smoking on hospital grounds". Most smokers could not get off hospital grounds, have a cigarette break and back to where they were working in their alloted morning tea break. I actually agree with employers only wanting to hire non-smokers. You also have to think that over winter, many smokers get more colds and illness which they not only need time off work for, but can pass along to their co-workers. Let's face the hard facts as well, smokers stink. I don't like smokers in close proximity to me so would prefer non-smoking hair dressers, nail technicians, doctors, nurses, waiting staff etc. Pretty much anyone I have to be within 1m of I want to be a non-smoker.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Guest654  (11-05-2012),Lillynix  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012),Savingfishfromdrowning  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of our sales girls is a smoker and because of her I will never employ a smoker again! She stinks like smoke ( not a great first impression) but its the other staff constantly whinging and complaining about her always going out to smoke ( she's a pack a day ) her constant smokers cough and the drama involved every month when she decides to quit ( always lasts a few days) and she turns into a mega ***** when she's not smoking! We pay her car allowance and I've asked her not to smoke in the car ( she takes clients out in it sometimes ) but she does and there is nothing we can legally do to stop her! She is good at her job but could be easily replaced so next time I will specify no smokers as its better for our workers and clients

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Happy2be3  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I watched a girl smoke three ciggys in a row throw the butts on floor ..coughing up crap..then return to work ..didn't wash her hands..smelt like crap!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No one was 'born a smoker'

It's a choice.

(yes I know it's an addiction, and I know what addictions are like)

Seriously - you want THAT job in particular?, get some help quitting.

People can hire based on how a person grooms themselves and their level of personal hygeine... For me this falls under that heading.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Cleigh  (11-05-2012),GreenMama  (11-05-2012),Guest1234  (11-05-2012),Guest654  (11-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (11-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess to me I would equate it with bad personal hygiene - ie I wouldn't employ someone who looked dirty etc. I don't mean that smokers have bad hygiene, I just mean that it produces a similar physical response in me when someone has BO as to when they have smokers breath. I don't actually think actual cigarette smoke smells that bad but when I smell it on someone's breath, it's like getting a huge hit of BO.. does that make sense? It's offputting, it's potentially going to put customers off, and it does have proven health repercussions.