+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So some people agree with it, some don't...at the end of the day, your kid, your choice.

Even though I wouldn't do it past 12 months of age (probably 6 actually), I'm not going to tell people who do that they're wrong for doing it. It doesn't affect me what they do so why should I care?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't believe the term 'revolting' is being bandied around. How offensive.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),october  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),threechooks  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I can't believe the term 'revolting' is being bandied around. How offensive.
    Yep. Very sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Out of curiosity, and I really mean no insult by this question, but for those who have no problem with a 3 or 4 year old being breastfed...

Is there an age at which you would feel a bit funny about it? Like, if a 12 year old or older were still being BF? They'd still be getting the extra nutrients, etc. But would that feel a bit 'off' then? Where is the cut off? Or isn't there one?

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was a frankly hilarious comment on The Age where somebody was worried that if a boy were breastfed too long he might grown up unable to see breasts as anything other than a food source. Yes, that would be dreadful. Because the only thing you can do with a jar of nutella is put it on toast, right?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Girl X, it's impossible for a 12 year old to latch on and suckle a breast anyway. I think that ability is lost by around 8 years old.

And no, there's no age I find it 'off'. My best friend's brother used to come home from school and have a boob up until he was about 7. It was a quick drink - just like getting a glass of water, and then he was off.

My cousin was diagnosed with leukemia at 9 and her mum, who was feeding a new baby, expressed breast milk for her to drink so she'd get the benefits of breastmilk even though she was unable to breastfeed properly any more.

But I've been around breastfeeding all my life (even though I wasn't breastfed myself) and unlike most people, I see the primary function of breasts being to nourish a child, not as a source of sexual pleasure.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),MissMuppet  (11-05-2012),threechooks  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Out of curiosity, and I really mean no insult by this question, but for those who have no problem with a 3 or 4 year old being breastfed...

Is there an age at which you would feel a bit funny about it? Like, if a 12 year old or older were still being BF? They'd still be getting the extra nutrients, etc. But would that feel a bit 'off' then? Where is the cut off? Or isn't there one?
    I think I remember reading somewhere that most mammals naturally wean when they develop certain teeth (that prohibit that special latching) and when they are about a third of their adult weight (not sure if I have that right or not - I have a sucky memory)...

to 'me' that would be on average about age 5.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

If MY 12 year old wanted to nurse I would feel awkward, if MY 5 year old was nursing id feel awkward,

That said I used to find the idea of nursing a 'child' (read.12 months +) awkward yet here I am almost 24 months and still nursing.

If someone eldest 13/5 year old was nursing off them well its not my child nor my boobs to feel uncomfortable about.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm genuinely wondering if it's the breast part that grosses people out? Would expressing into a cup be less gross? Because you know normal cows milk comes from a cows boobs right?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Would I feel odd if my 12 year old was BF? Yes. Naturally.

Would I feel odd if my DD was 5 and still feeding. I'd say so.

Looking back through time - it seems a natural weaning age is around the 4 year old mark. Why? IMO I'd say children are able to regulate emotions more, are eating a wider variety of food and are probably more independent. I would say that's when my toddler will begin to wean herself without my prompting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-05-2012)