+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I think a lot of people would argue that formula at that age (older toddlers) should no longer be necessary.

The 'creepy' part doesn't apply, as it's not about the 'food' but the 'delivery' that freaks some people out with BF-ing at that age.
    That's the thing though, why should one nutrition delivery method be ok (or at most "not necessary") and the other one creepy, revolting etc. Just because there is a boob involved it's suddenly ok to say whatever you like, no matter how insulting it is? I'm just baffled that people on live tv can say things like that about breastfeeding mums!

For the record, I don't think formula feeding is revolting or anything like that, just tried to make a point

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    This was talked about on the Today show..Georgie (blonde girl..think thats her name)..was asking why suddenly attachment parenting had become so popular..some of the thoughts were MAYBE..it's the parents trying to hold onto the baby stage longer for their own benefit...due to people having less kids ..
    I think AP is more popular now because a. it has a name so more people are identifying them selves as attachment parenting and b. people are realising that parenting for their own convenience is not always in the best interest of their children (meaning sometime children have needs that are at odds with what fits in with our lives).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think people are only outraged because extended breastfeeding is considered "not the norm"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Extended breastfeeding isn't for me, but I think it's sad that Time have chosen to portray it in such an antagonistic way, rather than how I bet is usually is (boy standing on chair rather than cuddles on mummy's knee) purely as a shock tactic. And I don't like the tag line on the picture, why try and make other mums feel guilty for not being 'mum enough'?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanzibar For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-05-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All publicity is good publicity. This cover has done more to raise awareness of breastfeeding as the normal way of feeding toddlers than anything else I can remember. I love it. I love it for every girl who sees it and absorbs it and now has it in her memory as a potential choice she can make when she is a mother.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (12-05-2012),Benji  (11-05-2012),Chew the Mintie  (11-05-2012),Hollywood  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012),nicoletta  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),twotrunks  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't like the photo. Its staged. Its deliberately provocative. And they have chosen the photo to support the article which seems to be suggesting attachment parenting is 'going too far' 'for the mums not the kids' etc etc. So, of course, they have chosen a photo that is going to be confronting and portray extended breastfeeding in an unflattering light (make the mother look smug and superior, making the child stand on a chair...). Its blatantly manipulative and I don't like it. Not surprising for Time magazine of course.

And that line "are you mom enough?" Ugh. Awful.

They aren't even hiding the fact that they are stirring the pot and trying to pit mum against mum. Its like standing on the side lines yelling, "Fight, fight, fight."

What we need is natural images of breastfeeding (across the range of ages) in the media. This kind of photo is never going to help normalise breastfeeding of older children (and nor was it designed to).

BUT the part of the article that most stood out to me was that she took her 4 year old boy to the Playboy mansion!! The photo, the disclosure that she's taken her boy to the Playboy mansion.... this article screams 'isn't she a MIL.F? And aren't attachment parents crazy?" Shock tactic journalism. I don't think it helps encourage breastfeeding, or attachment parenting at all.

Last edited by MissMuppet; 11-05-2012 at 16:06. Reason: Trying to fix wacky formatting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktini View Post
    Absouletely! I have never once seen an advertisment for extended breastfeeding, TBH I have never seen a TV advertisment for breastfeeding period. But I am always seeing advertisments on toddler formula. From what media and society project off to others, of course people are going to start coming up with ridiculous opinions, there will never be a win/win solution for either party, would be much easier for everyone to accept each others choices and move on!
    That's because no one is trying to make money off breastfeeding. I'm sure if big business could control our breasts there'd be ads galore!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (11-05-2012),halloweendee  (11-05-2012),Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunbun View Post
    That's the thing though, why should one nutrition delivery method be ok (or at most "not necessary") and the other one creepy, revolting etc. Just because there is a boob involved it's suddenly ok to say whatever you like, no matter how insulting it is? I'm just baffled that people on live tv can say things like that about breastfeeding mums!

For the record, I don't think formula feeding is revolting or anything like that, just tried to make a point
    I agree with you, and I don't think it 'should' be that way.

But, as I was trying to say earlier (and struggling to put it well), I get it. We BF for such a short period of our lives, and for most of the rest of our lives many of us DO see our b00bs as s*xual. I certainly did pre-DD, and I do now.

And you couple that with the fact that statistically very few people BF past a year (or past 6mths, from recent figures), and even fewer past 2 or 3yrs, and it makes sense that people are surprised to see it and a bit squeamish about it.

I guess it's a bit like saying that going to the loo is natural, but we'd probably still find a graphic image of someone going to the loo a bit confronting. Now if we imagine that only 50% of people go to the loo, and usually only for a few months (year or 2 at most) of their whole lives, and often you never see anyone do it, and then it does become more of a shock value thing to do. And then add on to it that going to the loo is 'usually' a s*xual thing to do (erm stretching my analogy a bit now), EXCEPT for in those few weeks/ months of your life that are special.

(I am not trying to compare BFing with going to the loo. Well, not in any direct way! Just trying to draw an analogy with a natural bodily function that we only do for a miniscule % of our lives).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have children yet so when push comes to shove I really don't know how I would react however, my current view is if they are walking and talking then to get it straight from the supply is strange as that means they are no longer babies. In saying that I am happy to express and provide via a bottle though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I showed two of my friends the photo today they each have a 4 year olds and babies..both thought it was yuck..the photo ..the age of the kid....reactions from people when you show them tend to be ..yuck...