+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The photo is a carefully chosen marketing photo designed to incite discussion and purchases.

No surprise there as it is a magazine and they are know to do that.

The fact is, is that it's a mother breastfeeding. We all know how much of a ruckus that causes - because don't you know, breasts are for putting into bikinis, like on the People and Pictures magazines that will appear in the same stores that sell the Time Magazine. But we don't hear much about that do we?

The mother herself stated she didn't choose that photo (which is actually well chosen from a marketing perspective to match the title of the issue) and wishes it was a different photo but hopes that people will read the magazine and get more information.

For those that question the mental health or reasons for breastfeeding a toddler - here's some insight. I am of sound mental health. Just incase that's a factor in play.

I feed my 3 year old daughter. Believe me, I don't do it to keep her as a baby. I kept feeding her for several reasons.

The proven effectiveness of reducing breast cancer - my mother had it, my family is riddled with it.

I have an over supply of milk and had major issues feeding her so when my littlest came along, I had someone else taking up the supply, helping me distribute the load a lot better - I have no feeding issues with my baby now thankfully.

My DD is dairy free and despite what people tripes out as fact - there IS STILL nutritional benefits in milk for toddlers. She put on the weight back that she lost after we took her off dairy a year ago. I am glad she is able to access free nutritional supplements.

The fact that I have a highly emotional toddler who used breastfeeding as a comforting method (which is totally acceptable!!!!!!!) and I didnt want to take that away when a new sibling was being introduced.

I think she's a brave woman to face the ill informed and bigoted back lash.

ETA: Not every BF photo SHOULD be one of those heartwarming scenes where a mother looks down lovingly on her child. No, because that's no how it happens all the time!! BF happens while on the go, walking, standing, in a rush, with physical aversions with great difficulty..get real in your expectations of what a BF mother should look like.
    Last edited by BabushkaMumma; 11-05-2012 at 12:53.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-05-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-05-2012),Etienne  (11-05-2012),FiveInTheBed  (11-05-2012),Hootenanny  (11-05-2012),IndigoJ  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),MilkiCuddles  (11-05-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (12-05-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),SPC  (11-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-05-2012),Witwicky  (12-05-2012),wrena  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no opinion on people who BF babies/toddlers whatever.. You're the mother so you do what's right for your child. Who am I to judge!

Regarding this particular picture however.. It makes me really uncomfortable and I don't even want to look at it.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    That is revolting.

edit: i mean the photo, I didn't bother reading the article, in a rush
    Well of course you would! Only feminists would feed thier children for that long!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The actual picture makes me uncomfortable but let's be honest, that's what it is designed to do. It's Time magazine. They hire pretty skillful photographers who are pretty good at getting the desired result whatever that might be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I'm surprised at my reaction to this. I found the picture really confronting (and some of the comments completely inappropriate!). I get that WHO guidelines support BFing until 2 and I have zero issues with that and have a friend who fed her DD until 2 which I think helped me see it as normal. From ages 3 and up though it would appear as though I have a problem because that picture just didn't sit right with me. I also think that the need for breast milk for a regular, healthy, well fed toddler in Western society who has access to clean water and nutritious food is not the same as those toddlers in under developed countries who need breast milk to basically stay alive and healthy. I'm not sure what I think about the mother's psyche when she chooses to breast feed a toddler / child past the age of 3 or 4. I'm not sure that what I think really matters I guess, as long as the parent / child relationship is healthy.
    This pretty much sums up how I feel.

I don't judge anyone else on what they do in this regard, but I found the picture to be 'off'. To me it did look s*xualised, and I get why some people would say THAT is the more 'off' thing (to have that perception). I even agree with that viewpoint, but I still had that reaction.

I guess it's because I've never seen a child that old been BF, whereas I have seen a million films/ TV shows where adults are in s*xual situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That photo was intentionally provocative in the way it was staged. Everything about it says 'I'm breastfeeding my 3-year-old....Do you have a problem with that??' If it was a photo of a woman sitting down feeding her child in a more natural pose it would not be nearly as confronting.

As far as the 'Are you Mom enough?' headline - that is again intentionally stirring the pot. I read that as saying 'Are you a good enough mum to breastfeed your child beyond babyhood despite criticism aimed at you about it.' So, are the women who don't do this 'not mom enough'. More divisive, judgmental pressure. I'm sure the ABA love it. It's right down their aggressive little street.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Witchypoo For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think our perception of 'sexy' has been screwed to be honest.
    Seriously. tuck her boob back in and have her child facing the camera with a grin - would it still be 'sexy'? or just a woman standing with her hand on her hip wearing jeans and a singlet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post

As far as the 'Are you Mom enough?' headline - that is again intentionally stirring the pot. I read that as saying 'Are you a good enough mum to breastfeed your child beyond babyhood despite criticism aimed at you about it.' So, are the women who don't do this 'not mom enough'. More divisive, judgmental pressure. I'm sure the ABA love it. It's right down their aggressive little street.
    Except it was you who came to that conclusion - nothing to do with the ABA.

Your issue should be with main****** media flaming the mother wars.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),wrena  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I think our perception of 'sexy' has been screwed to be honest.
    Seriously. tuck her boob back in and have her child facing the camera with a grin - would it still be 'sexy'? or just a woman standing with her hand on her hip wearing jeans and a singlet?
    For sure. Boobs = sex. According to society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the child is happy and the mummy is happy then I don't see a problem and its not revolting what s revolting is some peoples attitudes towards long term breastfeeding. Its a lovely thing to do for your child if you are able to

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012)