+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Umm cause we are discussing the pictures in the OP.
    And people will have different opinions.
    Isnt that the point of the chat sections on bubhub.
    I didn't go into pro breastfeeding and start stating my opinions when I was not asked to do so.
    And this is my point. Why have a discussion on what another parent chooses to do with their own child? Why is everyone so quick to give their opinion on something that has no impact on themselves, nor their family? It boggles my mind.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont care who breastfeeds and who doesnt and for how long you do or dont do it for.

What I dont like is the photo of the child on the chair. Its obviously done to cause a stir but if they really wanted to have a positive article about extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting then I think that will all be lost because of the photo.

Everyone will get all up in arms about the photo and everything else will be ignored.

Such a shame....if they had of had a different photo...one more nuturing and loving and gentle I believe a lot of the reactions would be different.

Sometimes just because you get publicity about something doesnt necessarily mean its good for the cause. Personally I think whatever they were trying to convey has backfired becasue of the photo and the headline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I thought nothing of it...nothing. I didn't find it confronting, I didn't find it a beautiful photo of a mum nourishing her child..I just thought 'ok 3 year old hving a breastfeed while standing on a chair.' The title was provoking though.

I'm pretty happy that my reaction to the photo was nothing...7 years ago I thought breastfeeding a baby past 6 months was disgusting and sexual and now I'm educated enough to know the benefits, and have been exposed to it enough to not bat an eyelid at the pic.

I fed my kids until there were 18 months (DD1 was 14 months) and I was so.unbelievably.over.it. by then I take my hat off to anyone who breastfeeds to full term.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (11-05-2012),Etienne  (11-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally I think parents who breastfeed kids past say 3-4ish do it more for their own reasons rather then the child's. This isn't Africa, there is plenty of nutrician outside of your boob.
    My DS was nearly 4 when I weaned him. At the end it was literally only the bedtime feed so barely anyone knew we were still going at that age.

I will tell you why I kept going after I was 'over it' (was over it by 24 months, well and truly). It was because I could see that DS clearly got a great comfort from it, and I chose the path of least resistance. I could see that it would take a lot of stress and effort to wean him and I just couldn't be bothered putting either of us through that. I separated from his dad when he was 3.5, then just before DS turned 4 his dad took him on a holiday to NZ for 2+ weeks, so I took that opportunity to wean him (warned him prior to him going that it was ending).

I can assure you that it was nothing at all to do with my needs as to why I didn't wean earlier. Actually I think that was I did was a selfless thing to do. I kept going two YEARS after I was well and truly over it. I won't be BFing DD anywhere near as long (planning on weaning at 12 months), but I don't regret feeding DS for that long. I think he is a lucky boy to have gotten my milk for so long

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are lots of things parents do that are wrong.

Extended breastfeeding is not one of them.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (11-05-2012),Etienne  (11-05-2012),fichicken  (11-05-2012),GuestMember  (11-05-2012),IndigoJ  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),meljemillie  (12-05-2012),Mod-Zeddie  (11-05-2012),october  (11-05-2012),RubySunrise  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012),threechooks  (12-05-2012),Witwicky  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What do I think? I think she's beautiful and I think she's feeding her kid, which is great.

I'm always going to find a kid having human milk over cows milk more natural, think about properly, it makes so much more sense biologically.

Do those saying it's unnecessary not give their kids any milk?

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (11-05-2012),RobinSparkles  (11-05-2012),RubySunrise  (11-05-2012),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-05-2012),threechooks  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because I think it's wrong. I think breast feeding a 5 year old is not right.
    If you are going to continue to do it then of course the children will think its normal. I watched that documentary about those 8 year olds being breastfeed that was not normal to ME. An 8 year old asking her mother to pull out her boob so she can have a drink is not normal for ME.
    There are plenty of people who think formula is plain wrong and that fine.
    Im just giving you my opinion which in the big world counts for jack.
    You do whatever you want.

And yes I'm all for breastfeeding I did it myself.
    And no I have nothing against feeding a 2 year old.
    Well said. I feel the same as you. It's the way I was brought up and within my circle of friends/ family/ community, bf a 5 year old is not a normal thing. I bf my son and intend to continue until we feel it is right to wean, probably somewhere between 12-24 months.
    That being said, everyone is different and each to their own. I'm not going to come on here and call another mother revolting for feeding her toddler/child. If that's what you want to do then good for you. It's just not normal to ME and MY BELIEFS. Some people are just so darn touchy!! State your opinion and move on!!

As for the photo, I don't like it. I think its totally impersonal, staged and does not show the beautiful experience that breastfeeding is. The 2nd photo is a bit better, but I suppose they were made to shock the audience and it did give me a bit of a shock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is only 16 months, but the suggestion that mums feed their older toddlers for their own benefit blows my mind! I really can't see how it would benefit the mum (apart from the health benefits for her and knowing that she's doing the best for her child) and see it as an incredibly selfless thing to do. I know for me that I'd joyfully wean today if I didn't wholeheartedly believe in the health benefits of full-term BF and see the joy and comfort that it gives my DD.
    the cover is obviously intended to be provocative and does seem very detached, but hopefully in the storm of discussion that it generates more people will become aware of just how biologically normal and beneficial feeding a child of this age is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It would be nice if the people who are so outraged (namely the ones who have commented on the article sites) by the pictures and accompanying article concentrated their energies on things involving children which ARE revolting, horrendous, abhorrent etc. A day working in a child protection office would put everything in perspective.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-05-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-05-2012),Sheer Bliss  (11-05-2012),~Marigold~  (11-05-2012)